Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Northern Ireland humour

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

Marie Jones's 'A Night in November' has to be one of the funniest plays written in Ireland in the past 30 years. It's just a pity they advertised it as a soccer play rather than as a political play - it was set around the Republic -Northern soccer match in 1993 and the lifechanging experience of a Northern Ireland unionist support as a result of it.

It's much funnier, in my view, than her better known 'Stones in his Pockets'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Wee Sammy comes running into the kitchen.
    'Mammy, Mammy, he says, 'I want to get married to Jimmy next door.'
    'Don't be silly,' says his mother. 'It's impossible.'
    'But why. Mammy? I love him.'
    'Yer daddy will tell you when he gets home.'
    So Sammy's daddy arrives home, and wee Sammy runs up to him.
    'Daddy, Daddy, I want to marry wee Jimmy next door.'
    'I know,' says his daddy. 'Your mother told me.'
    'Well, can I?' asks wee Sammy.
    'Certainly not, says his daddy. 'It would never work.'
    'Why not. Daddy?'
    'Because he's a Catholic.'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

There's a show on now on BBC Norn Irn, it's so so bad.
    Yeah, their humour, at least on telly is fairly pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

WindSock wrote: »
    There's a show on now on BBC Norn Irn, it's so so bad.
    Yeah, their humour, at least on telly is fairly pathetic.

I missed that, i was busy watching the Republic Of Telly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Bodhisopha wrote: »
    I missed that, i was busy watching the Republic Of Telly.

It makes that look good, that's how bad it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭Gunsfortoys

Watching the idiots on "the oirish apprentice" makes me cry out for N.I humour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭flanum

that "hearts and minds" programme or whatever its called with the computer animated paisley/adams/robinson guff!! totally not funny! and im an ulsterman (albeit republic of ireland)!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Dionysus wrote: »
    Kevin McAleer is brilliant! So dead pan.

Back in the early 1990s there was this great skit from a few northern comedians where one of them was Ian Paisley, another was Charlie Haughey, another was Gerry Adams and so on and they were all around the same table having a discussion. I'd love to know who they were. It was brilliant. Anybody have any idea what it was called?

Loved so much of McAleer's stuff, from Nighthawks to his 'Turn it On' (we were all sitting around the TV; half of us watching the back of it..." - not forgetting "semtex" the dog) to his 'Chalk and Cheese' show where he talks about going out late one night for a walk at home in Tyrone to discover the meaning of life "Where am I going?" "What am I doing" "What do I want" - "And all of a sudden this van pulls up in front of me and ten armed men in balaclavas get out and ask me the very same questions: "Where are you going?" "What are you doing"?

Brilliant, funny guy.

Kevin was class alright, I have a lot of friends up North and I see no discernible difference in mine and their sense of humour. Some comedy shows on BBC NI are rubbish, but no than that Killnash1tbag is also rubbish.

Advertisement