Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Music snobs

Options
  • 29-11-2010 3:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭

What is everyones thoughts on music snobs ? Are you one?

From my own experience i come across what i call music snobs a good bit because i hang around with a lot of musicians , allot of my friends dont think music can be made unless it is with live instruments.
    Personally i dont really like punk with the odd exception i dont think that makes me a music snob.
    Anyone know the sort of person who heard some bad dance tune and hates all electronic music because of it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Sharkey 10 wrote: »
    Anyone know the sort of person who heard some bad dance tune and hates all electronic music because of it?

Yeah I know someone like that, wouldnt call him a music snob though....just takes whatevers on de wireless as a good indication of modern day music

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭ryaner012

i know a few music snobs that don't like virtually all music made since 1990-present

and then there are friends that would be a different friend that hears a song with a beat and some electro and it would be an utter SH!TE dance song like those dance versions of the fields of Athenry and immediately think that i like it cause i enjoy electro music

• Registered Users Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Rigsby

I think there is a difference between disliking a certain type of music and being a snob. IMO, what makes a snob is when a person belittles or dismisses another person's music. On the other hand, if someone genuinely loves any type music, then they wont give a f--k, or be bothered as to what anyone else says or thinks about it. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Live instruments? How twee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 708 ✭✭✭zimovain

I prefer the early stuff!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I liked them before they went mainstream!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,982 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Sharkey 10 wrote: »
    allot of my friends dont think music can be made unless it is with live instruments.
    Your friends are idiots. Do they play electric guitar or bass and use any effects? If so then they aren't playing through "live" instruments are they? What is a live instrument anyway? Are there dead instruments around somewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Phony Scott

I do have certain snobbery towards dance/techno/house music. I find it droning, repetitive and rather soulless. I grew up in an area in which everyone seemed to be into this music, constantly passing around their mix-tapes to everyone, driving with the music blaring at 3 in the morning or going to nightclubs, getting loaded on drugs and getting into fights seemingly every week.

With all that said; I’d be an idiot if I didn’t admit that music like this hasn’t, for better or for worse, been massively influential in other music genres like hip-hop and metal. There are musicians who I do like; like Fat Boy Slim, Basement Jaxx, The Chemical Brothers and The Prodigy. Those are great musicians, probably because they have a bit of social commentary mixed in their music.

I do have certain snobbery towards dance/techno/house music. I find it droning, repetitive and rather soulless. I grew up in an area in which everyone seemed to be into this music, constantly passing around their mix-tapes to everyone, driving with the music blaring at 3 in the morning or going to nightclubs, getting loaded on drugs and getting into fights seemingly every week.

I wouldn't so much call that music snobbery, the fact that you can't get into something doesn't point to some kind of elitism.

I think a problem is that people are not willing to have their criteria of music challenged. I have a lot of musical discussions, with friends, strangers at parties, whatever. It is one of my biggest interests and usually quite an interesting way to strike a bond with someone. I'm a bit of a musical snob but I would at least say that I'm open minded about the format of music.

The people who I enjoy discussing music with tend to be eclectic and knowledgeable, everyone has their own opinions and these people's opinions are based on listening to a lot of music for the sake of appreciation. You know, being able to swap from Bowie to Captain Beefheart to the Boards of Canada streamlines discussion. The people I don't like discussing music with limit themselves to genres, dismiss music that doesn't sound like something they know and make wild stupid sweeping statements with very little to back themselves up. Luckily I can switch to something like football or tits or the weather or something.

The snobbery kicks in then when f*ckers whack on the Kings of Leon at a party though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

No doubt about it, there are music snobs out there. Not to flog the dead (and badly decayed at this stage) horse but they tend to be the "Kings of Leon were only good for their first two albums", "Radiohead's best work has come about since Kid A" brigade. They provide me with much entertainment at parties, I have to say.

No doubt about it, there are music snobs out there. Not to flog the dead (and badly decayed at this stage) horse but they tend to be the "Kings of Leon were only good for their first two albums", "Radiohead's best work has come about since Kid A" brigade. They provide me with much entertainment at parties, I have to say.

Kings of Leon were never good and Radiohead's albums improved vastly after the Bends anyway. But I don't know how you could surmise musical snobbery with these two opinions. Well I sort of do but it's a dumb way to hypothesise.

Kold wrote: »
    Kings of Leon were never good and Radiohead's albums improved vastly after the Bends anyway. But I don't know how you could surmise musical snobbery with these two opinions. Well I sort of do but it's a dumb way to hypothesise.

The Bends (especially) and Pablo Honey are 2 of my 4 favourite Radiohead albums. I'm forming an opinion based on personal experience. I dare say it's the most practical way to conduct a discussion based purely on people's opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

So I am a music snob because I prefer 00's Radiohead to 90's Radiohead? :rolleyes: If anyone is being the snob here it's you by resenting those who have a different opinion than you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Rigsby

The Bends (especially) and Pablo Honey are 2 of my 4 favourite Radiohead albums. I'm forming an opinion based on personal experience. I dare say it's the most practical way to conduct a discussion based purely on people's opinions.
    magma69 wrote: »
    So I am a music snob because I prefer 00's Radiohead to 90's Radiohead? :rolleyes: If anyone is being the snob here it's you by resenting those who have a different opinion than you.

This thread is deteriorating fast. :rolleyes:

Music is a very personal choice, whether it's Big Tom or Bach. If you like it, you like it. What difference does it make if someone else does not ? It should not take from your enjoyment.

I think a problem is that people are not willing to have their criteria of music challenged. [...]

The people who I enjoy discussing music with tend to be eclectic and knowledgeable, everyone has their own opinions and these people's opinions are based on listening to a lot of music for the sake of appreciation. You know, being able to swap from Bowie to Captain Beefheart to the Boards of Canada streamlines discussion. The people I don't like discussing music with limit themselves to genres, dismiss music that doesn't sound like something they know and make wild stupid sweeping statements with very little to back themselves up.

Fantastic comments Kold. As much as I enjoy The Beatles music, some of the comments in 'The Beatles Thread' are pretty wild statements. I agree with a few, then there are others were I think; haven't you even heard of 'The Mothers of Invention'? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,419 ✭✭✭Riddle101

I would have to say I'm a bit of a music snob. The thing is, my favourite bands are comprised of this
    Metallica, Guns N' Roses, Motley Crue, Aerosmith, Queen, Iron Maiden, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, The Beatles, Black Sabbath, Ozzy Osbourne, AC/DC, The Rolling Stones, The Who, Led Zeppelin, Pearl Jam, Deep Purple, Radiohead, Stone Sour, Foo Fighters, KISS, Slipknot, Creed, Nirvana, The Offspring, Sixx AM, Black Label Society, Nickelback, The Police, Oasis , The Clash, Velvet Revolver, Tenacious D

Most of which made a name for themselves before 2000, which generally makes me a snob of most music made in the last decade. With the exception of Sixx AM, which is comprised of vetern musicians Nikki Sixx, DJ Ashba and James Micheal, I'm not a fan of any bands of this era, and that includes Kings Of Leon, although i do respect them, but i do tend to snob music of this era nonetheless. I also like to stick to the Rock and Metal genres with a few exceptions. Maybe I might be a little narrowminded in my music tastes, and should broden my music tastes. But I just like to stick to my own genres.

Riddle101 wrote: »

If I had to be a snob, that'd be a pretty great selection of bands to be snobby with! :D;)

But I can't believe anyone would be dismissive of everything that has come out in the last ten years? Surely there must be someone? Mastodon?

If someone called themselves a movie buff but only really liked and watched gangster movies from the 80s and 90s it would be hard to take their views on film seriously, except for when talking about gangster movies I guess.

snobedit: Also, Nickelback? Ew.

magma69 wrote: »

Without any shadow of a doubt you are, yes. Resent? I'm not sure you know the meaning of the word chap.

• Advertisement

Rigsby wrote: »

Music is a very personal choice, whether it's Big Tom or Bach. If you like it, you like it. What difference does it make if someone else does not ? It should not take from your enjoyment.

But I only listen to music if I think that other people like it. Half my life is spent floating around last.fm trying to find out what other people are listening to

/sarcasm

Wanna know how I know your opinion is rubbish?

Trollface_HD.jpg

Wanna know how I know your opinion is rubbish?

Trollface_HD.jpg

Pablo Honey and The Bends (along with OK Computer) are the last albums Radiohead made before they disappeared up their own arses. FACT

Pablo Honey and The Bends (along with OK Computer) are the last albums Radiohead made before they disappeared up their own arses. FACT

How exactly do you think they disappeared up their own arses? By making music that doesn't necessarily cater for the lowest denomination? Going on your idea of what a fact is, I bet you thought the kids that weren't in the remedial classes were up there own arses too.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭fruvai

OPINION

How exactly do you think they disappeared up their own arses? By making music that doesn't necessarily cater for the lowest denomination? Going on your idea of what a fact is, I bet you thought the kids that weren't in the remedial classes were up there own arses too.

Whatever makes you feel good about yourself fella.

fruvai wrote: »
    OPINION

Well of course it's opinion! Has anyone else actually looked at the title and opening post of this topic?

Without any shadow of a doubt you are, yes. Resent? I'm not sure you know the meaning of the word chap.

Maybe you should check the meaning of a music snob. Someone who looks down on others who don't share the same musical tastes as their own. i.e. You

In your warped mind, Magma69 prefers the later era of Radiohead and I prefer the earlier era therefore Magma69 is a music snob. :pac::pac::pac:

Rigsby wrote: »

I thoroughly agree and it doesn't in any way take away from my enjoyment of music. I couldn't give a monkeys if everyone hated the music I like.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

snobedit: Also, Nickelback? Ew.

pointless and totally snobby aside - wtf is Nickelback doing on a list with The Who, Stones, Sabbath, AC/DC etc.
    I completely and utterly fail to understand how you can get bands like this and not see Nickelback for the steaming pile of ****e they are. The sound of mediocrity with a ball of cash thrown at it.
    Each to their own and all but... :)

Advertisement