Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safe To Fly Home For Christmas?

Options
  • 29-11-2010 4:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭

Hey!

Flights are already booked and I'm heading home for Christmas, leaving Sydney on the 16th and landing in Dublin on the 17th of December at 8pm.

I just heard from home that it started snowing a day or two ago, and rumours are that it's supposed to be on and off until after Christmas.

My question is, does anyone know if it's usually regular to expect flight delays etc. around this time of year, especially with this expected weather.

Also, I can't seem to find any, but does anyone know of any sites with monthly weather forecasts just so as I can have a look at what they're expecting the weather will be like!

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Yes you can expect delays if the weather keeps up the way it is. I went back last time in Feb 09 and the snow meant I was stranded in Paris for a while. Same will probably happen when I go back next month as well.

Part and parcel of the trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,354 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

When I seen the title I thought it might be about get through immigration while on a dodgy 2nd WHV

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Traq

Mellor wrote: »
    When I seen the title I thought it might be about get through immigration while on a dodgy 2nd WHV

Aye me too, you'd want some balls on ya to try that on a dodgy visa after people getting caught last year!

With regards to flying, as Xavi says if it keeps going the way it is then flights will get delayed alright. If you're flying with a stop-off in Europe somewhere you could be affected by bad weather in both Dublin and wherever your stop off is. If you're flying with Etihad through Abu Dhabi, it'll just be snow in Dublin that you need to worry about (unless that unpronounceable volcano erupts again :pac:)

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭WopTittyPop

Mellor wrote: »

Didn't even think about that when I made the thread! Any way to change the thread title to something that's not misleading?

As for my flights, I've a connecting flight from Sydney to China and China to London, and then I've a separate flight from London to Dublin. The thing I'm worried about most is I have a 2 hour 45 minute gap between when my flight arrives in London and departs to Dublin, and I'm worried I could possibly miss the one to Dublin. Considering I have to go through arrivals, collect my bags, and then go back through to departures, I figure even a short delay is probably going to make me miss my flight.. Uh-oh spaghettios!

Advertisement