Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Status Of Irish.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

So because the quite large Irish speaking population was in the West of Ireland and other "out of the way" places you can say
    "it wasn't a part of the existing Irish identity as nobody actually spoke it."
    Am I missing something here. :confused:

Relatively speaking.

The question was not whether or not Irish speakers should have been accommodated, is was whether or not the whole edifice of the state had to be formed with Gaeilge in mind. And, I argue, that it was done so NOT because of native Irish speakers, but to further a much larger political and cultural agenda.

It was not because the Irish speakers were in out of the way areas that made them irrelevant.

Rather, they were Irish speakers primarily because they were in out of the way areas.

That they were politically irrelevant, as Irish speakers, I suppose does happen to be true, due to their small numbers and both physical and metaphorical distance from the political and economic centres of Ireland at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

Lots of people apart from the fact that there wasn't a majority in any of the 32 counties apart from Galway. In urban areas it was non-existent. Also, it had negligible indigenous political force attached to it: the reason for there still being Irish speakers was because they were in the back-of-beyond! (No offense, the west of Ireland was very much off the beaten track, depopulated by The Famine, emigration, and subsequent food crises, underdeveloped and not a very easy place to live).

If any official letters were demanded as gaeilge it would be by a political figure, doing it on principle or for publicity, who would have been able to speak English perfectly well (a bit like today, really).

The reason that Irish was such a small political force was that the State it Existed in was activly hostile to it.

Letters, Postal not offical.;)

Nope, was taken over by IRB, reason for Hyde leaving.

It wasent taken over by the IRB, It was infiltrated by it certainly, but Hyde left because CnaG was becoming politicised not because the IRB forced him out, His replacement as president was Eoin MacNeill, Not an IRB man.

Famine and Fenians...? Not really. Root causes, perhaps but didn't have much relevance here. Self determination was the cornerstone of the argument for some sort of rule independent of the UK, but other than that the ideas were in flux when the guiding light of the Home Rule League seemed to falter.

They had a massive influence on the leaders of the Movement for Independance, And were certainly relevent to the people. Self Determination was an Issue because it could be shown that Ireland was abused under British rule.

Same couldn't be said of soccer or rugby. Totally different (unless Rugby was established by the Anglican Church... but I doubt it). Correct about IV

That just dosent make sence, Gaelic Games date back hundreds of years, The GAA dident invent them, they did alter and formalize them, but the same is true of all modern Games.

Always was a more extreme party? It didn't exist! Only ever competed in one by-election (poorly). Sure, the Rising was mislabeled, but there were specific reasons for going along with that mis-labeling. Actually you aren't really contradicting me here.

SF was set up in 1905, and became known as an extream party. That is why 1916 was mislabled the SF rising, after the fact it made sence for it to be used by those wanting a compleat separation from the UK, Remind me what this has to do with anything?

The Prime Minister (Taoiseach) was known as President (... of the Dail?) for a while.

The Taoiseach is still the Leader of the Dail, But the president is a separate office.

I don't know of many people... or any that I can think of that want to abolish Irish. That would be an abomination, imo.

Downgrading, yes. It is the only way to remove the current discriminatory system that is in place. Most people that I know would have liked the option about whether or not they wanted to do Irish (most hated it due to the system in place). One or two of them had to repeat Irish due to the fact that they were excluded from certain civil service jobs due to the fact they only took Ordinary Level Irish. Happy days!

So if people want it to be Downgraded then why is there nothing to show that they do?

What exactly makes the current system discriminatory?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

Relatively speaking.

The question was not whether or not Irish speakers should have been accommodated, is was whether or not the whole edifice of the state had to be formed with Gaeilge in mind. And, I argue, that it was done so NOT because of native Irish speakers, but to further a much larger political and cultural agenda.

It was not because the Irish speakers were in out of the way areas that made them irrelevant.

Rather, they were Irish speakers primarily because they were in out of the way areas.

That they were politically irrelevant, as Irish speakers, I suppose does happen to be true, due to their small numbers and both physical and metaphorical distance from the political and economic centres of Ireland at the time.

Since there were a large number of Irish speakers on this island then the comments "nobody actually spoke it" is wrong, as is "it wasn't a part of the existing Irish identity".
    Your comment that they were irrelevant is an insult.
    My great grandfather in the "back and beyonds" of Kerry was as much a part of the identity of and as relevant to this island as any Dub or Cork city urbanite.

Since there were a large number of Irish speakers on this island then the comments "nobody actually spoke it" is wrong, as is "it wasn't a part of the existing Irish identity".
    Your comment that they were irrelevant is an insult.
    My great grandfather in the "back and beyonds" of Kerry was as much a part of the identity of and as relevant to this island as any Dub or Cork city urbanite.

There demonstrably weren't large numbers. This is clearly the case as the only county, in the entire country, in which there was a majority of speakers was in Galway.

It is not an insult, just a realistic summation. There is no moral reflection on 19th century Connacht being a backwater.

The reason that Irish was such a small political force was that the State it Existed in was activly hostile to it.

Incorrect (in the period we are talking about). Indifferent, perhaps. They did nothing to fascilitate it, at all. Being able to only speak Irish was a serious liability and prevented people from emigrating to find work, or even migrating!

It wasent taken over by the IRB, It was infiltrated by it certainly, but Hyde left because CnaG was becoming politicised not because the IRB forced him out, His replacement as president was Eoin MacNeill, Not an IRB man.

He voluntarily left. The rest of your statement is actually in accordance with what I said

They had a massive influence on the leaders of the Movement for Independance, And were certainly relevent to the people. Self Determination was an Issue because it could be shown that Ireland was abused under British rule.

The Fenians weren't - straight off. The Famine was - but as I said, only indirectly (Davitt stirring up Home Rulers in his stomping ground when near-agrarian disaster threatened, for instance)

But self determination is more fundamental than any specific abuses, far more so.

That just dosent make sence, Gaelic Games date back hundreds of years, The GAA dident invent them, they did alter and formalize them, but the same is true of all modern Games.

Reinvented, and with a political agenda. However, they subsequntly took on their own life-force and became quite popular, even if they the overt hand of the Church was quite evident and rules concerning it were very draconian until recently.

SF was set up in 1905, and became known as an extream party. That is why 1916 was mislabled the SF rising, after the fact it made sence for it to be used by those wanting a compleat separation from the UK, Remind me what this has to do with anything?

Nothing, by this stage. It's resolved.

The Taoiseach is still the Leader of the Dail, But the president is a separate office.

Tell me something I don't know

So if people want it to be Downgraded then why is there nothing to show that they do?

Why, because FF maintains a majority. There's a bit of a non sequitur there.
    What exactly makes the current system discriminatory?

Take a guess.

• Advertisement

There demonstrably weren't large numbers. This is clearly the case as the only county, in the entire country, in which there was a majority of speakers was in Galway.

It is not an insult, just a realistic summation. There is no moral reflection on 19th century Connacht being a backwater.

What the hell has a majority got to do with anything, this isn't the fúking north.
    The republic was founded on the principal of inclusivity not majority rule.
    The fact is there was a sizable number of people. (600,000 to 700,000)
    Hardly insignificant.

What the hell has a majority got to do with anything, this isn't the fúking north.
    The republic was founded on the principal of inclusivity not majority rule.
    The fact is there was a sizable number of people. (600,000 to 700,000)
    Hardly insignificant.

Majority rule was the reason why 'the fúking north' was created in the first place.

In 1891 a total of 14.5% of the population were capable of speaking Irish. (177, Jackson, Alvin, Ireland 1798-1998, Blackwell, Malden, 1999)

Majority rule was the reason why 'the fúking north' was created in the first place.

In 1891 a total of 14.5% of the population were capable of speaking Irish. (177, Jackson, Alvin, Ireland 1798-1998, Blackwell, Malden, 1999)

The population of Ireland in 1891 was 4,704,750, 14.5% of this is 682,189
    And according to you that 682,189 constitutes nobody.
    First, it wasn't a part of the existing Irish identity as nobody actually spoke it.
    You were incorrect.

According to your logic the population of Dublin are irrelevant today in respect to the size of the present population of the republic.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

Deise Go Deo & Cu Giobach.

Could you answer a question please,

If you except that the language is in difficulty and reform is required , why is it that ''compulsion'' is exempt before the reform discussion even starts ?
    This strikes me as odd as I assume there have been many changes made in the teaching process in the last 80 or so years except the element of compulsion.

Why so caught up in compulsion ? Does it not display a lack of confidence in the merits of the case from the outset ?

Now that I think about it not being compulsory is about the only thing that has'nt been tried.

You may have answered this already, but I am late to the thread and it is impossible to read it all and make sense of it.

marienbad wrote: »

Could you answer a question please, ..........
    Sorry marienbad I'm not getting into that one. I'm only here now for the discussion you see above. :)

• Advertisement

Sorry marienbad I'm not getting into that one. I'm only here now for the discussion you see above. :)

No prob, one difficult thread to follow though .

The population of Ireland in 1891 was 4,704,750, 14.5% of this is 682,189
    And according to you that 682,189 constitutes nobody.

You were incorrect.

According to your logic the population of Dublin are irrelevant today in respect to the size of the present population of the republic.

As I said above, relatively.

We have determined that this identity was not, in fact, shared by the other 85% of the Irish. It was thus not a characteristic of the Irish, at the time of independence, to actually speak Irish, regardless of past history.

However, the constitution drawn up recognised that near 100% of the population could speak English. It thus set-about creating hard and fast rules making it illegal for people not to learn Irish, and restricting the work available to non-Irish speakers in order to generate an artificial boost to the numbers speaking the language.

Naturally, as there was no cultural dynamism beside these laws, it was almost a hopeless failure, with absolute numbers of Irish speakers actually declining.

In no democratic state is it such that the direction that the majority takes is supposed to be determined by the minority. That's the reason why there are borders (i.e. separate states).

However, I will stress that this set-up was not the fault of Irish speakers in the west of Ireland, who had very little part in the mechanics of the formation of the state. Rather, it was revolutionaries, who, as revolutionaries are wont to do, took it upon themselves to proclaim utopian measures and odd regulations, principally to distinguish themselves from their antecedents, which, as they do, tend produce little in the way of joy or usefulness.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

Could you answer a question please,

If you except that the language is in difficulty and reform is required , why is it that ''compulsion'' is exempt before the reform discussion even starts ?
    This strikes me as odd as I assume there have been many changes made in the teaching process in the last 80 or so years except the element of compulsion.

Why so caught up in compulsion ? Does it not display a lack of confidence in the merits of the case from the outset ?

Now that I think about it not being compulsory is about the only thing that has'nt been tried.

You may have answered this already, but I am late to the thread and it is impossible to read it all and make sense of it.

To summarise, Deise has said:
    A) You cannot remove the compulsion because people will refuse to learn the language (see the Irish Language Lobby funded "study" linked at the start which shows that people abandon the language). But making it voluntary is the 'poorer method'.
    The majority want Irish to be preserved and promoted, so the 'fairer method/optional' is irrelevant. Plus, fairness is irrelevant because people only abandon it to get more points in the Leaving Cert (no evidence could be supplied to show that the majority want Irish to be preserved and promoted, apart from a few Irish Language Lobby funded biased studies which were dismantled in seconds)

Aii)
    The following quote was offered to show, that actually, wanting the language to be promoted and preserved doesn't keep the language alive anyway!:
    If anyone still thinks that love of a language or interest in it can
    ever be the motivator which causes masses of people to learn it or
    maintain it in use, Paulston is unequivocal: ‘…it is always for
    reasons other than appreciation of the language per se.’2

B) People refusing to learn the language does not actually mean people are 'not open' to learning it, he thinks it's merely the syllabus which is the problem, the fact that it's of extremely limited use is of little consequence to the average pupil and their parents, and education is not and should not be about helping people to acquire employment.
    The linked Irish Times articles which show over 10% of people doing the Leaving Cert have gotten exemptions from learning it can be explained away by disabilites.
    The same article which shows over 50% of those getting exemptions are studying a different language instead is irrelevant because it's only 5% so most people must be open to learning Irish, but it should be compulsory anyway, just in case.

C) The CSO figures which show the amount of non-Irish speakers is as high as ever and Irish penetration has been minimal for 90 years, is explained by the crap syllabus and the fact that the language is lower status and by the fact that there are virtually no chances to use the language, post-schooling, but this 2.6 million people are open to learning the language and want their kids to learn it also.

D) There are actually loads of opportunities to use the language post-schooling despite it's lower status and there are loads of jobs available through Irish too. There's even some company somewhere that operates through Irish and sells program to TG4.

E) Having a language (Irish) force-fed to Hiberno-English speaking Irish, who reject the language and want to speak English or learn other languages, is totally different to having a language (Russian) force-fed to Lithuanian speaking Lithuanian people who reject the language and want to speak English or learn other languages

E) If the syllabus were reformed, people would suddenly start loving it, but it must still be compulsory, even tho they are 'open to learning it' and 'they will love the reformed syllabus', just in case they're actually not open to learning it and mightn't love it after all

F) If Maths and English are compulsory, then there is no reason Irish shouldn't be too.

G) All of the syllabus reforms in the past weren't real syllabus reforms.

Yawn...got bored here and all the contradictions are encouraging me to watch Monthy Python

As I said above, relatively.

We have determined that this identity was not, in fact, shared by the other 85% of the Irish. It was thus not a characteristic of the Irish, at the time of independence, to actually speak Irish, regardless of past history.

It was not a characteristic of the majority of the Irish.
    It was not spoken by nobody, and it was not irrelevant.
    Nearly 700,000 people is a very large number.

I took issue with one statement of yours, I am not getting into the ins and outs of the discussion on the cumpulsory state of the language, only picking you up on this....
    "First, it wasn't a part of the existing Irish identity as nobody actually spoke it."
    If you want to keep defending this comment, then you should have no problem with me saying "The Dublin city accent is not part of the Irish identity as nobody has it" seeing as only 12% of the population live in Dublin city.
    The fact is 100's of thousands do have a Dublin accent therefore I cannot make that statement.

Dannyboy83 wrote: »
    To summarise, Deise has said:..........

If you did that regarding my position on a topic I would report it immediately.
    I feel you are well out of order there.

It was not a characteristic of the majority of the Irish.
    It was not spoken by nobody, and it was not irrelevant.
    Nearly 700,000 people is a very large number.

I took issue with one statement of yours, I am not getting into the ins and outs of the discussion on the cumpulsory state of the language, only picking you up on this....

If you want to keep defending this comment, then you should have no problem with me saying "The Dublin city accent is not part of the Irish identity as nobody has it" seeing as only 12% of the population live in Dublin city.
    The fact is 100's of thousands do have a Dublin accent therefore I cannot make that statement.

Correct: you seem to be predicating your whole argument on the semantics of my language.

Substitute 'nobody' with 'very few'. Or more precisely 'very few; relative to the absolute population of the country whether independent or within the UK as a whole'*

Happy?

'The entry on Earth was way off.'
    'Well, how's it described now?'
    'Mostly harmless.'

Would you say speaking German is a quintessential characteristic of France? If 14% of French people can (and possibly do) speak German should it be made compulsory for everyone? Wait, don't answer that one. I see the answer.... taking the form of cultural heritage. Well, the east of France is what the west is for us. Ahhh.. for the sake of convenience consider the analogy rhetorical; either you get it or you don't.

* And before you say 'Well the Irish were very small relative in size to the UK' you would be right. But, that is the reason why we seceded from the UK. The small size of northern unionists relative to the population of Ireland is the reason they essentially seceded from (as it turned out a merely hypothetical) united Ireland under Home-Rule.

Isn't truth the most important predicator as to whether something is right to be said or not?

(Not saying it actually is true, as I don't have time to look through the respective arguments)

Besides which, Deise has the right to reply.

You are getting worked up a little easily, no?

A) You cannot remove the compulsion because people will refuse to learn the language (see the Irish Language Lobby funded "study" linked at the start which shows that people abandon the language). But making it voluntary is the 'poorer method'.
    The majority want Irish to be preserved and promoted, so the 'fairer method/optional' is irrelevant. Plus, fairness is irrelevant because people only abandon it to get more points in the Leaving Cert (no evidence could be supplied to show that the majority want Irish to be preserved and promoted, apart from a few Irish Language Lobby funded biased studies which were dismantled in seconds)

Aii)
    The following quote was offered to show, that actually, wanting the language to be promoted and preserved doesn't keep the language alive anyway!:

B) People refusing to learn the language does not actually mean people are 'not open' to learning it, he thinks it's merely the syllabus which is the problem, the fact that it's of extremely limited use is of little consequence to the average pupil and their parents, and education is not and should not be about helping people to acquire employment.
    The linked Irish Times articles which show over 10% of people doing the Leaving Cert have gotten exemptions from learning it can be explained away by disabilites.
    The same article which shows over 50% of those getting exemptions are studying a different language instead is irrelevant because it's only 5% so most people must be open to learning Irish, but it should be compulsory anyway, just in case.

C) The CSO figures which show the amount of non-Irish speakers is as high as ever and Irish penetration has been minimal for 90 years, is explained by the crap syllabus and the fact that the language is lower status and by the fact that there are virtually no chances to use the language, post-schooling, but this 2.6 million people are open to learning the language and want their kids to learn it also.

D) There are actually loads of opportunities to use the language post-schooling despite it's lower status and there are loads of jobs available through Irish too. There's even some company somewhere that operates through Irish and sells program to TG4.

E) Having a language (Irish) force-fed to Hiberno-English speaking Irish, who reject the language and want to speak English or learn other languages, is totally different to having a language (Russian) force-fed to Lithuanian speaking Lithuanian people who reject the language and want to speak English or learn other languages

E) If the syllabus were reformed, people would suddenly start loving it, but it must still be compulsory, even tho they are 'open to learning it' and 'they will love the reformed syllabus', just in case they're actually not open to learning it and mightn't love it after all

F) If Maths and English are compulsory, then there is no reason Irish shouldn't be too.

Yawn...got bored here and all the contradictions are encouraging me to watch Monthy Python

Ok then, to close the circle, for 80 years all students have studied Irish for up to 14 years and we currently have say 100,000 speakers. ( I know
    from another thread that this is on the highside but no matter).

For the same 80 years the major foreign language study has been French ( or any/all foreign languages)but obviously in less numbers .

It must be easy enough to extrapolate the number studying a language versus the numbers fluent year by year.

In a nutshell compare number sitting exam/honours results year by year and easy enough to graph progress

That would give us some idea of compulsion v desire/necessity, would it not ?

I am off to do some internet research provided my methodology is valid ?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Wow, that was a long read. I've spent most of the day reading over the 33 pages. Got to admit though, most of the stuff between pages 4 and 30 seemed to just repeat itself ad finitium.

Anyway, there was one thing which struck me outside of the dodging of "why should it be compulsury" question with constant other questions and defelctions.

The pro-compulsion side, particularly Deise, has said countless times that being bi-lingual is of massive importance to the development of a child. I agree with the sentiment but I noticed no actual reasons were given (or did I miss them; apologies if I did. Maybe someone can point them out to me). I'd presume that the benifits come in the fact that by being bi-lingual, you can talk and communicate with more people, broadening your horizons and in future life, being able to conduct business on a larger scale. And while that would mean having English/Irish would be a good thing, surely it also means having English/French or English/Russian or whatever would be better since there's more people?

Or is there another advantage I'm missing?

Correct: you seem to be predicating your whole argument on the semantics of my language.

Substitute 'nobody' with 'very few'. Or more precisely 'very few; relative to the absolute population of the country whether independent or within the UK as a whole'*

Happy?

Finally. That is better. That wasn't so hard was it.

Oh and the pop of Britian is/was irrelevant to this discussion.
    * And before you say 'Well the Irish were very small relative in size to the UK
    '
    Telling me what I am going to say now, you are getting very agitated indeed.

• Advertisement

If any of it isn't true, your post is against the rules of this forum. What you did there either is or should be against the rules.

Go ahead and 'report' me then.

I am at pains to see how, when every single post that one makes in Politics, is a summation of another person's position, that you should take umbrage in this instance. Specifically, that is how one can do so... and be correct about doing so.

Oh, oh, oh, Teamshadowclan just summarised Deise! Report him too!

This is getting silly. :D

[Why does the 'any' bit of your statement remind me of Shylock's "pound of flesh"?]

Go ahead and 'report' me then.

I am at pains to see how, when every single post that one makes in Politics, is a summation of another person's position, that you should take umbrage in this instance. Specifically, that is how one can do so... and be correct about doing so.

Oh, oh, oh, Teamshadowclan just summarised Deise! Report him too!

This is getting silly. :D

[Why does the 'any' bit of your statement remind me of Shylock's "pound of flesh"?]

That comment should have been directed at Dannyboy83 not you.

That comment should have been directed at Dannyboy83 not you.

Err... okay.

Although you were quoting 'me'.

I provided evidence that shows quite clearly the negative effects of making Language learning optional and another set of evidence that shows that a substantial majority want Irish promoted and preserved.
    The response to this was ad hominum as to the validity of the Evidence I put forward but no counter evidence was ever provided despite the fact that I asked for it several times.

Aii)

And that has uet to be contested by any poster here.

Actually, my argument was that as was shown in the study I linked to in the OP, Making a language optional reduces the Status of that language causing a domino effect and damages the language beyond the area that was originally affected, This was shown by a similar case in Britain where language learning was made optional in one stage of Education and the result was a collapse in the noumbers studying languages across the education system in Britain.

As for the second part, The argument has been put forward that learning Irish is useless, That is not the case, in terms of Employment oppertunities, there are more jobs requiring Irish than any other second language in Ireland,
    I also said that I dont believe that the sole or primary focus of the Education system should be Job training but rather should be about developing the Childs mind and ability to learn in a well rounded fasion, a systerm to which Language learning is vital.

The argument was put forward that the increase in people getting exemptions shows that the majority are not open to learning Irish, 10% was the figure suggested for the section of the Student population that this increase showed were not open to learning Irish. I countered this claim of 10% saying that of that 10% only 5% were doing a second language. It is unclear why the 5% that were not doing a second language had the Exemption but I think thaat it is fair to assume that a proportion of them have learning dificulties that preclude them from learning languages. Of the other 5% who are Exempt from Irish but are studying Irish some are getting Exemptions from Irish because they are 'Not open to it' But I think the majority of this 5% are the children of immigrants who came during the boom at the age of 12 and now 4-5 years later are geting an exemption from Irish for the LC as they did not study it in primary school but can do another language because they either studyd it in their own country or are already fluent in the language.

Indeed, People like myself who are actively interested in Learning Irish in school by and large fail to pick up the language in School, The only possible explanation for this is a poor curriculum as Compulsion makes no difference to someone who is actively interested in a subject, As this is the case, someone not learning Irish in school dose not mean they are not open to learning it.

That the Curriculum is poor is evidient and the fact that it has failed over 90 years to teach people how to speak Irish is testament only to the fact that something that dosent work will not work no mater how long it is operated over.

It is not a fact that there are virtually no chances to use the language, post-schooling. There are many.

There are more jobs and opportunities to use Irish than any other second language in Ireland.

There are however not enough oppertunitied to use Irish to prevent the average person losing the limited amount of Irish that they currently learn in school.

The link to Nematon was just to show an example of companies that successfully operate through Irish, Countering the claim that All jobs that need Irish are 'artifical'

It has yet to be shown that there has been any rejection of the Irish language by anything more than a small minority of the Irish population.

In light of this it is an entirely different situation, One is a powerful state forcing its language on a neighboring states population against their will, the other is a state promoting the revival of a native language in line with the populations wishes.

If the Curriculum was reformed, people who are open to learning it would be able to do so, Compulsion is necessary because there is a general perception that language learning is hard and languages would not be chosen because subject choice is much more about the points a student can expect to get from that subject in the LC than it is about what the student actually is interested in learning.

No, Any argument that has thus far been made against Irish being compulsory can also be made against Maths and English being compulsory, In light of that I questioned why those arguing against compulsion for Irish believed that Maths and English should remain compulsory.

There has yet to be a serious reform of the Curriculum, It has improved over the past 20 years, coporal punishment has been done away with, and Oral has been increased in importance slightly, but the critical failings of the Curriculum remain in place. Until they are reformed fully and effectively there will be no change in the results of the System.

Next time try to understand my arguments before you try to belittle them to others.

I haven't misrepresented him, feel free to report me if you disagree.

I started at the start of the thread and worked through each post, summarizing it as I went. I suggest you at least acquaint yourself with the arguments put forward in this thread before commenting on them.

In light of the verifiability and validation of the comments, (and the general not being out of order at all-ness) I shall ignore your feeling.

[p.s.] and see his above comments which confirm I haven't misrepresented him.

Wow, that was a long read. I've spent most of the day reading over the 33 pages. Got to admit though, most of the stuff between pages 4 and 30 seemed to just repeat itself ad finitium.

Anyway, there was one thing which struck me outside of the dodging of "why should it be compulsury" question with constant other questions and defelctions.

The pro-compulsion side, particularly Deise, has said countless times that being bi-lingual is of massive importance to the development of a child. I agree with the sentiment but I noticed no actual reasons were given (or did I miss them; apologies if I did. Maybe someone can point them out to me). I'd presume that the benifits come in the fact that by being bi-lingual, you can talk and communicate with more people, broadening your horizons and in future life, being able to conduct business on a larger scale. And while that would mean having English/Irish would be a good thing, surely it also means having English/French or English/Russian or whatever would be better since there's more people?

Indeed there is, Learning a second language makes learning subsequent languages easier, Language learning is very important in an Education system as it develops the mental capabilities of the Child, Being bilingual has a positive effect on intellectual growth.

Benefits

The benefits listed here all apply to Irish, Gaelscoileanna have shown this, They often perform better than the national average.

Leaving cert results 2010 . Combined A1 A2 B1 B2 B3, I am assuming that both A and B equals Honours ( all changed since my day)

Irish 44.4%, English 37.2%, Spanish 50.9%, Italian 47.9%, Japanese 66.5%, French 38.8%, German 42%.

My source is the State Examination Commission. I am not a stats person so I may have erred but I dont think so.

Read into those figures what you may.

Ignore the japanese figure as only 143 sat the exam, probably too small a sample.

Indeed there is, Learning a second language makes learning subsequent languages easier, Language learning is very important in an Education system as it develops the mental capabilities of the Child, Being bilingual has a positive effect on intellectual growth.

Benefits

The benefits listed here all apply to Irish, Gaelscoileanna have shown this, They often perform better than the national average.

ooooops, you appear to have answered the question you wanted to be asked, not the question you were actually asked.
    Here, let me requote the question TeamShadowClan put forward.
    perhaps you could answer that too? hmmmmmmmm?
    And while that would mean having English/Irish would be a good thing, surely it also means having English/French or English/Russian or whatever would be better since there's more people?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Benefits

I'll conceed that the advantages listed all apply to Irish, but would you not agree that it would also apply to French or Spainish as well? In which case, given there is a far greater majority of the later two languages on a global scale, does it now make far more long term sense to use this fact to encourage the teaching of those foreign languages rather than Irish?

I'm of the opinion here that a second language should be compulsory, given the advantages listed via your own link. And while I think Irish is better than nothing, I cannot see the benifit of having it over a more global language other than a nostalgic desire to hold on to something which doesn't have practical implications on the largest global scale.

• Advertisement

Ignore the japanese figure as only 143 sat the exam, probably too small a sample.

On the contrary - do not ignore it at all.
    That's crucial to the debate.

People who want to do the subject are excelling in it.

Nice work, Thank you

Advertisement