Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frozen Pipe Alert

Options
  • 29-11-2010 8:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭

Mods feel free to move this into the general weather thread i just wanted to try and give the heads up that my water pipes froze last night, so be careful with yours people, i had left one tap in house on dribbling but not enough it seems.

Stock up on bottled water people and if you leave your taps runnin do it better than me.

Oh and remember don't flush your loo, you may need an emergency flush later....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Either I'm outta gas or it froze too. What temp does gas freeze at??? V

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

irish1967 wrote: »
    Either I'm outta gas or it froze too. What temp does gas freeze at??? V

-182.6 degree, so i doubt its froze :p

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭hootietootie

Last year our gas pipe to the cooker froze, or the gas turned to liquid or something because the cylinder way outside-we took it in when we werent using it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

I had the heat a couple of times during the night, uses a bit of oil but I'd rather that than have a burst pipe again. Taps I didnt bother with as they were fine all last winter and thankfully there was no problem

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

From here http://brittany.angloinfo.com/forum/topic.asp?Topic_ID=90205

So i think even though the gas won't freeze it seems if it turns into liquid it won't go up the pipes

• Advertisement

Harps wrote: »
    I had the heat a couple of times during the night, uses a bit of oil but I'd rather that than have a burst pipe again. Taps I didnt bother with as they were fine all last winter and thankfully there was no problem

yeah my heating was on for a time through the night but i think my pipes outside are the ones frozen, must find the thread in DIY forum i bumped earlier,

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=69276306

Talks about what to do if pipes are frozen, and tells you its ok if your pipes are frozen you can use your central heating which was the reason i was looking for it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Doirebhoy

living in letterkenny now too, have same problem. just noticed yesterday there was no water from the mains, have hot water and cold in the bathrooms but nout from the cold in kitchen also dishwasher not working. mare :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Last year our gas pipe to the cooker froze, or the gas turned to liquid or something because the cylinder way outside-we took it in when we werent using it!
    was it a butane cylinder the gas cant vapourise below -5 or somethin . propane is fine to -42 .

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭hootietootie

was it a butane cylinder the gas cant vapourise below -5 or somethin . propane is fine to -42 .

Could've been-we're back to electric now anyways!! So all good, unless the leccie is off, but then we have a solid fuel range!!!:D

Doirebhoy wrote: »
    living in letterkenny now too, have same problem. just noticed yesterday there was no water from the mains, have hot water and cold in the bathrooms but nout from the cold in kitchen also dishwasher not working. mare :mad:

Careful the taps that are running might be coming from small tank in attic, it might be froze on way to them, turn on taps that aren't working a trickle and the pipes might defrost. If you have them off it can burst pipes very easily

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

danniemcq wrote: »
    Careful the taps that are running might be coming from small tank in attic, it might be froze on way to them, turn on taps that aren't working a trickle and the pipes might defrost. If you have them off it can burst pipes very easily

The pipes may be burst already (ice expanding inside the pipe causes them to split). The reason you don't see any leaks yet is because the water is frozen!

But when it melts and if you have damaged pipes...grab a bucket!

and a mop, and figure out where the stop cock is for the water coming into your house, if your water starts again listen for a hiss of water or drips (if they have burst you should sadly know quickly enough) so it's best to know where you can turn everything off!

keep a tap slightly on and hope for the best!

salonfire wrote: »
    The pipes may be burst already (ice expanding inside the pipe causes them to split). The reason you don't see any leaks yet is because the water is frozen!

But when it melts and if you have damaged pipes...grab a bucket!
    and a mop, and figure out where the stop cock is for the water coming into your house, if your water starts again listen for a hiss of water or drips (if they have burst you should sadly know quickly enough) so it's best to know where you can turn everything off!

keep a tap slightly on and hope for the best!

had a tap on all last night and there was nothing, sometimes the odd dribble

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

Turning the water off at the mains may not stop the leaks (if any) though.

There a large tank of water in the attic, and if any of its exit pipes are burst, then that tank will empty.

My advice is call a plumber to ask for help...before it melts.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

The kitchen sink and dishwaher are connected directly to the mains supply. Water in the cold taps elsewhere comes from the storage tank in the attic. The hot taps in the bathroom are fed from the cylinder which in turn is fed from the attic storage tank.

The problem you have is that the main pipe entering the house is frozen. You need to get this sorted as it in turns feeds the storage tank in the attic.

had a tap on all last night and there was nothing, sometimes the odd dribble
    muffler wrote: »
    The kitchen sink and dishwaher are connected directly to the mains supply. Water in the cold taps elsewhere comes from the storage tank in the attic. The hot taps in the bathroom are fed from the cylinder which in turn is fed from the attic storage tank.

The problem you have is that the main pipe entering the house is frozen. You need to get this sorted as it in turns feeds the storage tank in the attic.

Yeah that’s the same way mine was acting, like muffler says it seems its your mains frozen and hopefully the heating in your house is keeping the pipes inside defrosted. Leave the tap on about a quarter of the way though give it somewhere to go.

If you find where the mains are going into the house use lukewarm water on the pipe (Boiling could crack the pipe) and this might free it up. Clear all the snow off the area too and hopefully that will allow some sun to come in and heat up the area.

Oh and not sure if I mentioned it earlier in the thread but even leaving a light on in the attic can help with keeping the water free in the tanks.

Actually have a look in your tanks and adjust the ball valve to see if water is flowing into the tank (Push it down into the water as this will let the water flow. If it doesn’t you know that it’s the entire mains that’s the problem

Yeah that’s the same way mine was acting, like muffler says it seems its your mains frozen and hopefully the heating in your house is keeping the pipes inside defrosted. Leave the tap on about a quarter of the way though give it somewhere to go.

If you find where the mains are going into the house use lukewarm water on the pipe (Boiling could crack the pipe) and this might free it up. Clear all the snow off the area too and hopefully that will allow some sun to come in and heat up the area.

Oh and not sure if I mentioned it earlier in the thread but even leaving a light on in the attic can help with keeping the water free in the tanks.

Actually have a look in your tanks and adjust the ball valve to see if water is flowing into the tank (Push it down into the water as this will let the water flow. If it doesn’t you know that it’s the entire mains that’s the problem

thanks for the advice. have also spoke to a plumber and have found a few people in the street have the same problem

same advice as here really also advised that there could be a black box somewere outside the house and to open that and use lukewarm water but couldnt find that

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭nonsmoker

Harps wrote: »

I have the heat on a few times through the night as well and someone told me that leaving the attic door open helps.
    Know it seems like a waste the heat escaping up there but if it helps I dont mind.

thanks for the advice. have also spoke to a plumber and have found a few people in the street have the same problem

same advice as here really also advised that there could be a black box somewere outside the house and to open that and use lukewarm water but couldnt find that

That i haven't heard of...

is this something around the stop cock valve? if you find that outside pour lukewarm water on it, it's more than likely its around there or where it enters your house thats its frozen as both of these places are nearer the surface and also the metal in these areas may attract the cold more than the pipes themselves. It seems to be your mains if its affecting more than just your house. are they all side by side or they in different areas?

Do you or anyone you know have a metal detector?

That i haven't heard of...

is this something around the stop cock valve? if you find that outside pour lukewarm water on it, it's more than likely its around there or where it enters your house thats its frozen as both of these places are nearer the surface and also the metal in these areas may attract the cold more than the pipes themselves. It seems to be your mains if its affecting more than just your house. are they all side by side or they in different areas?

Do you or anyone you know have a metal detector?

it was someone from the waterboard and the plumber siad to try this that its the water supply but that it could be buried tin the snow, said it could be on the footpath around the house or at side of house, plumber also said to try get some heat near the stop cock been trying that but no joy yet

stop ock is in utility room theres nothing outside tho going into the house its underneath. unless there not far enough under.

the houses are in 2's side by side same opposite, next doors grand but someone from across the street has same problem, others could as well that i dont know of.

wouldnt know anyone with metal detector.

• Advertisement

it was someone from the waterboard and the plumber siad to try this that its the water supply but that it could be buried tin the snow, said it could be on the footpath around the house or at side of house, plumber also said to try get some heat near the stop cock been trying that but no joy yet

stop ock is in utility room theres nothing outside tho going into the house its underneath. unless there not far enough under.

the houses are in 2's side by side same opposite, next doors grand but someone from across the street has same problem, others could as well that i dont know of.

wouldnt know anyone with metal detector.

Ah ok I was thinking the metal detector can help find the pipe/stop cock and you can then trace where it enters your house.

I’m trying to think of anything else from experience or what people have said but think I’m all out. Does anyone know think/know if the house opposite yours (other side of the road) would be sharing a pipe? Last year when our water froze a neighbour though my house and other neighbours were connected to same pipe or whatnot and if that was the case either house could block the pipe.

I really hope you get sorted. Dunnes have bottles of cheap water you could use that for refilling loo/brushing teeth etc. Wee things that you miss along with the usual tea etc (put brick/stone in cistern of loo so you doesn’t cost you a fortune when you spend a penny ba dum dum). Any neighbours or friends nearby allow you to have a shower?

Ah ok I was thinking the metal detector can help find the pipe/stop cock and you can then trace where it enters your house.

I’m trying to think of anything else from experience or what people have said but think I’m all out. Does anyone know think/know if the house opposite yours (other side of the road) would be sharing a pipe? Last year when our water froze a neighbour though my house and other neighbours were connected to same pipe or whatnot and if that was the case either house could block the pipe.

I really hope you get sorted. Dunnes have bottles of cheap water you could use that for refilling loo/brushing teeth etc. Wee things that you miss along with the usual tea etc (put brick/stone in cistern of loo so you doesn’t cost you a fortune when you spend a penny ba dum dum). Any neighbours or friends nearby allow you to have a shower?

cheers for the help. not sure about the other house as havent got a hold of him yet.

Have a plumber trying to help me later on and got stocked up just in case, also have family close for shower, hopefully sorted soon. il keep you's updated in case anyone else has same prob

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Anyway of finding out who built the houses? They might be able to advise as to the location of the incoming mains pipe.

Anyway of finding out who built the houses? They might be able to advise as to the location of the incoming mains pipe.

aye have his no il try that cus iv had a look after clearing snow cudnt find anything, cheers

sorted this morn :D we found the supply from outside the house opened it up and put warm water in came back on 2 hours later, thankffully we hadnt used all the water in the tank and that filled again

Advertisement