Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road Conditions

Options
  • 29-11-2010 9:00am
    Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I thought I'd start a thread where people can give updates of road conditions as they find them this week to help others out.

This morning, commute from Upper Clybaun road to Parkmore.

All roads are pretty dry, including the Rahoon road. The dual carriageway near Hogan's was the first slippery area I encountered. Traffic is cat coming up to the roundabout. Parkmore is all covered in snow and the roadways are compacted.

Overall, better than I expected.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

City very well gritted along main routes, dunno about estates. County a bit of a mixed bag and the worst bit is the north county.

No snow last night where I am, hopes for a good thaw today and temps of at least +1 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 27 fairynuff

Its icy at the Martin Roundabout, by the Galway Clinic. Getting out of the housing estate was the worst bit of the journey this morning, from Oranmore to town on the dual carriageway

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Some footpaths are not gritted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Drove from Loughrea to Moneenageisha Rd, only bad stretch was at Tom Hogans. Overall not too bad but I was being very cautious on the way in..not everyone was and I dont get why you would go 130km/hour on the motorway in those conditions.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

A word of warning about the boreen by Castlegar. Don't bother trying. I did on Friday, I was sh!tting a brick the entire way, luckily I was the only one dumb enough to risk it so I didn't meet any cars coming the other way.

This morning I drove out Headford Road, Up the new road and onto Ballybrit. No real problems. The roundabout seems a little slippy and the estates are very slippy. Overall nowhere near as bad as yesterday or Friday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

Cappagh Rd to NUI via Kingston,Taylors Hill,St.Marys Rd,Newcastle Rd and back to Cappagh Rd via Westside & Distrib.Rd was perfect,traffic moving nicely.no issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 SteveSilverhead

fairynuff wrote: »
    Its icy at the Martin Roundabout, by the Galway Clinic. Getting out of the housing estate was the worst bit of the journey this morning, from Oranmore to town on the dual carriageway

No problems encountered coming in from the Oranmore side about an hour ago. Some ice approaching the Morris roundabout (Ballybrit) from the dual carriageway, but that will probably clear also.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

The stretch coming up to the lights at the top of the coast road coming from/to Oranmore (the junction coming onto/off of the Dublin Road) was terrible last night. Hopefully it's been gritted since.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

TillyGirl wrote: »
    I dont get why you would go 130km/hour on the motorway in those conditions.:confused:

Evolution in action.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

what's the coast road to Spideal like at the moment, have they finally gritted it?

Drove there yesterday, was like an ice-rink, very poor conditions (didnt stop people driving too close and trying to overtake though...idiots...)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

JustMary wrote: »
    Evolution in action.

Except that unfortunately they are just as likely to kill someone else who is being careful.

Good idea for a thread. It's supposed to be a bad week so I'm sure we'll all be needing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 liabhroidi

Claregalway/Carnmore to town very good. Side roads deadly but keep it slow and you'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭LowOdour

the N59 from maam cross into galway city wasnt too bad, but caution definately needed between maam cross and oughterard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Fuctifino

Motorway was grand this mornin, i flew to athlone at 125kmh average.

Worst was up until Loughrea, grand after

Fuctifino wrote: »
    Motorway was grand this mornin, i flew to athlone at 125kmh average. Worst was up until Loughrea, grand after

Speed limit on the M6 is 120 km/h.
    or if you were going past loughrea on the N6 it would be 100 km/h

so you were speeding?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Fuctifino

snubbleste wrote: »
    Speed limit on the M6 is 120 km/h.
    or if you were going past loughrea on the N6 it would be 100 km/h

so you were speeding?

120 km/h is the speed limit, however allowing for speedometer differential and the 10% leeway given by calibrated speed cameras, i consider 125 to be the speed limit.

And as i said, i was on the motorway; if i had meant the N6 i would of said the N6.

Short answer for you: Yes i was speeding while killing kittens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

And people wonder why there are car accidents:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭swe_fi

I went from Oranmore 8.30 this morning and it took 70 min in to Ballybrit going the dual carriageway - painful - but roads were fine at least this morning.

If you are coming this way You are better off taking the Maldron Hotel roundabout to the motorway towards Galway and joining traffic from the Ballybrit roundabout - it will save you 20mins or so depending on when you go of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 SteveSilverhead

swe_fi wrote: »
    I went from Oranmore 8.30 this morning and it took 70 min in to Ballybrit going the dual carriageway - painful - but roads were fine at least this morning.

If you are coming this way You are better off taking the Maldron Hotel roundabout to the motorway towards Galway and joining traffic from the Ballybrit roundabout - it will save you 20mins or so depending on when you go of course.

That's painful alright - 70 minutes from Oranmore to Ballybrit is not far off walking speed.

Sympathies to anyone who *must* do that journey at that time, but for anyone that had any flexibility at all in the time they start work (or who can convince their employers to give flexibility in this weather), it would be much easier to wait a while. Offer to work from home if you can or to work into the evening a few hours one day in return.

I came in from past Kilcolgan, leaving at around 10. The Oranmore-Ballybrit bit of the journey was without delay and took I reckon 10-15 minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

It was people flying on the motorway in the snow and ice last year that frightened the life out of me more than the actual driving.

I know this is incredibly localised and not many people will be in there but if you have to go into Briarhill Business Park at any stage while it's icy/snowing be very, very careful. The first bend in there can be very slippery and the entrances/exits to each block can be too, last year when I was working there my car and others slid all over the place, especially on the ramp by the cafe. The management didn't grit or salt it last year so it was up to each business independently, which meant most of it wasn't done.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

What's the n17 like from tuam to sligo? We've heard it'd be a bad idea to try it but we don't know when we'll be back to visit the parents...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

Xiney wrote: »
    What's the n17 like from tuam to sligo? We've heard it'd be a bad idea to try it but we don't know when we'll be back to visit the parents...

Id say it would be grand, just take it easy.

I drove gort to galway lastnite and it was fine.
    Kept it at or below 80kph and had no trouble.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Heavy snow falling around the M6 Motorway and City this morning, Connemara and South Galway are clear. If the sun is out this will melt later because all the roads are gritted.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Same commute this morning (slightly later). All inbound lanes of main roads seem wet but not slippy. The outbound lanes seem covered in some snow.

Visibility is crap.

Avoided the bottom of the Rahoon road as I could see traffic backed up way past Henchy's shop. Took the highroad and came out across from Glendara. Plenty of snow up there but I had the good car so it was grand.

Dual Carriageway at Tom Hogans still not treated!

Traffic was lighter today.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭claw14

Western Motors over to Galway clinic (Sorry don't know rounabout neams) is fine. Well gritted and just wet now. Galway Clinic to Oranmore is not great. Inside lane is not too bad but no one was driving on the outside lane. Packed snow and full of fallen leaves.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Knew it was a bad idea but saw loads of other cars doing it. Went up the hill across from Monaghans on the Tuam Road to get up to Ballybrit Industrial Estate. My idea that all those cars would have made it less slippy was true...for my lane.

An African lad in a Hyundai came sliding down the other side and nearly hit me. I reversed down the hill and then gave it welly to get back up. Avoid that hill, though most of you probably would have anyway :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭alibabba

It took me two hours to drive what is noramlly a 40 min commute this morning, but at least i got there safe and sound.

Whats the motorway like Galway to Loughrea cos I aint going home the other way this evening thats for sure?

alibabba wrote: »
    Whats the motorway like Galway to Loughrea cos I aint going home the other way this evening thats for sure?

I heard it's safe to do above the maximum permitted speed limit on the motorway - earlier in this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭alibabba

snubbleste wrote: »
    I heard it's safe to do above the maximum permitted speed limit on the motorway - earlier in this thread.

Ah yes, that was esterday, different kettle of fish today.

Advertisement