Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road Conditions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭geem

Does anyyone know what the old Dublin road, Loughrea to Galway city is like?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

Coming from Monivea this morning wasnt great. Cussaun Cross was dodgy and the Athenry to Tuam road was pretty bad at 8am.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭alibabba

geem wrote: »
    Does anyyone know what the old Dublin road, Loughrea to Galway city is like?

Thats the route i came in this morning, it took me 2 hours to get into work.
    Its not gritted / salted , a bed of snow that will get compacted down and freeze.

Its the motorway for me until there is a thaw.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

alibabba wrote: »
    Whats the motorway like Galway to Loughrea cos I aint going home the other way this evening thats for sure?

Brutal :(

Didn't seem to be treated. We left at 7.10 got to work on Moneenageisha Rd at 8.15. Didnt go over 60kmh. Was still a thick layer of snow on it and more was coming down the whole way in. Loughrea - Athenry stetch the worst but its all crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭alibabba

Thanks for the motorway update. God I hope it improves today.
    Mixed reports coming in on the radio & newspapers this morning. Some sources are saying the council didnt expect the snow so didnt treat the roads, others are saying they treated main roads. Then the newspaper says the councils cant do any overtime so cant treat all the roads !

Hey dont we have a credit card loaded with 85 billion !
    :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭schween

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Heavy snow falling around the M6 Motorway and City this morning, Connemara and South Galway are clear. If the sun is out this will melt later because all the roads are gritted.

South Galway is not clear! It took me 2 hours to get from Kilcolgan (where it snowed a lot since 6am) to the city centre.

The N18 was horrendous, completely untreated and jammed from Clarinbridge to the Galway Clinic and beyond. That's about an 18km tailback, crawling along. Horrific.

The dual carriageway when I finally got there at 8.45ish was blocked in both lanes from the clinic to Oranmore.

I hope it clears up.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭lampsie

Yesterday: Coming from Roscam, was attempting to head towards Dunnes and on up to Liosban...tried to stick to dual carraigeways, turned back after moving all of 100m in 30 mins (went around the M6 roundabout and came back) and worked from home. Pants.

Today: Coming from Roscam, up through Doughiska and then left at the T junction up the old borreen road (our side of road ok, other side looked like no-one had attempted it so met no traffic). Then on up and right to go down by the school etc. Journey took maybe 10mins longer than normal, so overall the gritters seem to be coping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Fuctifino

snubbleste wrote: »
    I heard it's safe to do above the maximum permitted speed limit on the motorway - earlier in this thread.

It was yesterday, not today... f*** that

Drove 30mph the whole way to athlone today.. Lethal

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭swe_fi

That's painful alright - 70 minutes from Oranmore to Ballybrit is not far off walking speed.

Sympathies to anyone who *must* do that journey at that time, but for anyone that had any flexibility at all in the time they start work (or who can convince their employers to give flexibility in this weather), it would be much easier to wait a while. Offer to work from home if you can or to work into the evening a few hours one day in return.

I came in from past Kilcolgan, leaving at around 10. The Oranmore-Ballybrit bit of the journey was without delay and took I reckon 10-15 minutes.

Today I left Oranmore at 9.25 this morning and was in Ballybrit 9.45 - 50 mins less than yesterday (I got in at the same time leaving an hour later literally). I went Maldron Hotel > Motorway > Doughiska Roundabout > Ballybrit. At that time though I'd say it would be just as quick the dual carriageway route as there was no jam on the road from Clinic to Dunnes.

But I swear had I NOT taken the Motorway, the dual carriageway would have been jammed :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭geem

alibabba wrote: »
    Thats the route i came in this morning, it took me 2 hours to get into work.
    Its not gritted / salted , a bed of snow that will get compacted down and freeze.

Its the motorway for me until there is a thaw.

Thanks Alibabba have tickets for show in town tonight looks like I won't be going.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Stopped snowing and thawing quickly in Parkmore now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭996tt

snubbleste wrote: »
    I heard it's safe to do above the maximum permitted speed limit on the motorway - earlier in this thread.

well its a new day and with a new day brings new weather so it would probably be best to get a new opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Came through ougterard - > maam cross left onto the R336. It is in awful condition. hopefully sun will melt bits of it. Some villages (on the R336) havent seen a grain of grit since the cold weather started.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Avoid(!) the M6 between Galway and Athlone. Lane 1 was just about driveable this morning; Lane 2 was not. Not sure what it's like further East.

Athlone Bypass is particularly bad. Traffic was totally jammed on the BP. Two trucks stuck on J12 (Roscommon junction) Eastbound on-ramp. Compacted snow has re-frozen so it's really dangerous.
    I saw a plough at J13 (Monksland in Athlone) trying to clear the Eastbound on/off ramps. Hopefully they will have a go at the mainline as well.

They had the non-express barriers lifted at the toll plaza when I passed through two and a half hours ago. I almost skidded into the bollards for the express lane - the green arrow was on for the express lane so I drove slowly in*, tagged beeped but barrier didn't lift so I had to try and exit the express lane. Started skidding/sliding all over the place, just avoided demolishing the bollards.

*I didn't realise the barriers for the non-express lanes were up at this stage.

I'll be taking a train home to Galway after work this evening or staying up in Atlone. It's too bad to drive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

Drove to Limerick this morning; it was lethal up until the turn off for Shannon. Shannon to Limerick was fine, as was Limerick itself; just drive back now, much better than this morning; but you need to take a little care from Ardrahan onwards. The roads will be shocking tomorrow if it freezes again:(

• Registered Users Posts: 49 SteveSilverhead

swe_fi wrote: »
    Today I left Oranmore at 9.25 this morning and was in Ballybrit 9.45 - 50 mins less than yesterday (I got in at the same time leaving an hour later literally). I went Maldron Hotel > Motorway > Doughiska Roundabout > Ballybrit. At that time though I'd say it would be just as quick the dual carriageway route as there was no jam on the road from Clinic to Dunnes.

But I swear had I NOT taken the Motorway, the dual carriageway would have been jammed :-)

Good to know, and good to hear the journey worked out better than yesterday!

• Registered Users Posts: 49 SteveSilverhead

Question ... has anyone taken the train in from Ardrahan/Craughwell? Was it much delayed? Irish Rail is reporting delays of up to 45 minutes, but I presume this is just the Dublin train.

Thanks...

As I understood it, the delays of up to 45 mins were Dublin-Galway (the delays being around Athlone because of very heavy snowfall).

Didn't hear/read anything about delays on the Limerick-Galway line but it might be worth giving them a call to confirm before you set out..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Drove Ballinasloe to Galway today and back, motorway perfect. Giant lorry overtook me on a part where the second lane was half covered in snow, scared the life out of me to have this thing looming so close to my tiny car.

Took a friend an hour to get to Athlone from Bsloe this morning, and another friend drove Tralee to Galway and said it was grand until Ardrahan. Apparently the old Athenry road in Clarinbridge is lethal, just a sheet of ice.

Oh and I went into Briaihill Business Park today for a look, as I suspected not gritted at all, most of it gets no sun and had thick thick ice on every road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭yer man!

Roads in Maree, Oranmore are just awful, compacted ice everywhere and the sun doesn't get to it. Overturned jeep there this morning and i crashed into the ditch to avoid it, ABS is only so good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 verchiel01

anyone know what road conditions on the motorway from galway to loughrea is like at night....have to travel on it 2morrow nite and not looking forward to it.:mad:

verchiel01 wrote: »
    anyone know what road conditions on the motorway from galway to loughrea is like at night....have to travel on it 2morrow nite and not looking forward to it.:mad:

It's not that bad, it's gritted and it's being used a lot so is quite clear, even last year when they weren't as prepared I didn't find it so bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

Weather is meant to get really bad tomorrow evening with very low temperatures so just be mindful of this before you travel.

yeah -13 :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭NauP

Heading to Ailwee Caves from Galway City on Friday about midday - anyone been on that route? Whats it been like?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

NauP wrote: »
    Heading to Ailwee Caves from Galway City on Friday about midday - anyone been on that route? Whats it been like?

Mostly ok until you hit the clare border, then the road can get quite bad...best ring the caves before you leave.

Weather is meant to get really bad tomorrow evening with very low temperatures so just be mindful of this before you travel.

I don't mind if temperatures get lower than they already are once there isn't much more snow. The M6 was so bad this morning with the snow and the authorities couldn't really do a whole lot until the snow started to stop. No point gritting it while it's still snowing heavily and no point bringing out a plough until the snow has accumulated a few cms. At least when it's not snowing (but still very cold), they can grit the M6 and the other major routes and that will do the trick.

The M6 was in a much better state this evening compared to this morning. However, I'm going to be taking the train to work in Athlone for the rest of this week. It's a bit of an inconvenience because I will have a 20-25 min walk to/from the station at both ends but I don't want to risk having another nightmare drive to work again..
    [Fingers crossed there will be no delays/problems with the trains!]

Spadina wrote: »
    It's not that bad, it's gritted and it's being used a lot so is quite clear, even last year when they weren't as prepared I didn't find it so bad.

Bear in mind, we had very little snow last year. It was very very cold but it was mainly dry. Frost and ice can be managed reasonably well if you have suffecient grit and salt (as was the case with the M6 last year).

I have been on the M6 during heavy snowfalls twice in the past week and it was a total nightmare!

KevR wrote: »
    Bear in mind, we had very little snow last year. It was very very cold but it was mainly dry. Frost and ice can be managed reasonably well if you have suffecient grit and salt (as was the case with the M6 last year).

I have been on the M6 during heavy snowfalls twice in the past week and it was a total nightmare!

I was on it a good few times last year early in the morning when there was loads of snow on the road, I remember there being only one toll lane open because the entire rest of the road was covered in snow, and one lane just about open between Athlone and Loughrea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭yer man!

Does anyone know what road conditions are going to be like at the weekend with the rain? (rain expected i think) will it freeze and turn all roads into ice rinks?

Advertisement