Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road Conditions

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

yer man! wrote: »
    Does anyone know what road conditions are going to be like at the weekend with the rain? (rain expected i think) will it freeze and turn all roads into ice rinks?

There will be ice rinks?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

It seems the weekend will be dangerous on the roads with rain and near zero temps. Particularly in shaded areas it can freeze so you're driving along in the sun on a wet road but in a shaded area the rain has frozen.
    So if you're on not much used back roads, take extra care.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

Doesn't even need to be backroads. Most of the roads are fine, even dry at the moment. But as soon as you turn up the street I live (and lots of others that are in the shade all the time) you can barely drive up as it's on a slight incline. It's catching a lot of people out as they've gotten used to the main roads being ok today.

So just don't get too complacent yet, even if the sun is shining on most of the roads during the day ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭blahblahbla

Whats the headford road like is it salted?
    Have to head out that way tomorrow around 3 or 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Kazooie

Whats the headford road like is it salted?
    Have to head out that way tomorrow around 3 or 4.

Ya I've been using it all week and it's fine. They have kept it well gritted this week.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

The roads have been grand the past couple of days.

Does anyone know what the paths / pedestrianised area in town have been like this week?

I was thinking of bringing the baby in and doing a bit of Christmas shopping.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

Das Kitty wrote: »
    The roads have been grand the past couple of days.

Does anyone know what the paths / pedestrianised area in town have been like this week?

I was thinking of bringing the baby in and doing a bit of Christmas shopping.

They were perfect today when I was in. Just watch out for the frozen water that's come out of pipes or whatever, but other than that no problems.

It's supposed to rain tomorrow I think though.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Thanks WesternNight.

Hunting a little trike for a little man. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

das kitty, all pedestrianised areas of town are fine, it's just making the trip in that's the problem and it's been pretty quiet around town all week because of the weather

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Has anyone used Snow Socks on their car since the bad weather started ?

There was a mechanic from Galway on the news tonight saying they're being rushed off their feet with people buying them & wanting them fitted.

If anyone has tried them are they any good ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

Snow Socks would be no good around Galway City because in most cases the roads are okay. Snow socks are for snow but shred on roads with no snow. It would be like burning €160 on the ring roads around here.
    If you were on roads that were snow all the time they are the business.
    I am going to source 4 Cheap x Steelies and Good Winter Tyres for next year.
    You can put them on when leaving your house and take them off when you get to the good roads.
    I have used chains and snow socks on the snow and I would go for Snow Socks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

sgthighway wrote: »
    Snow Socks would be no good around Galway City because in most cases the roads are okay. Snow socks are for snow but shred on roads with no snow. It would be like burning €160 on the ring roads around here.
    If you were on roads that were snow all the time they are the business.
    I am going to source 4 Cheap x Steelies and Good Winter Tyres for next year.
    You can put them on when leaving your house and take them off when you get to the good roads.
    I have used chains and snow socks on the snow and I would go for Snow Socks.

Thanks for the reply:)

So they aren't any good for ice then?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Was out and about this morning, the rain/sleet certainly did not worsen matters in the City save for pedestrians who are now dealing with black ice not shiny white frozen snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Motor way good this morning Loughrea - Galway. Boyfriend went the other way and said once he hit Ballinasloe it was crazy, down to one lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

http://www.galwaycity.ie/GeneralNews/031210_01.html
    Salting Routes

Galway City Council has identified the Routes which will be Salted over the Winter Period.
    Bad weather such as fog, ice and snow can strike suddenly, catching road users off guard. Driving in frosty weather presents difficulties which motorists don't normally face throughout the year.
    In these weather conditions, it is best to avoid making a journey by road unless absolutely necessary. If driving in such conditions is unavoidable, be prepared.
    Drive with care and caution - expect the unexpected.
    Our weather is notoriously hard to predict and very changeable so don't assume that the road you are travelling has been treated.
    Treatment of roads with salt is a measure taken to reduce the risk of collisions and injury. It is not a guarantee that "normal" speeds can be achieved. Sleet and snow can be particularly dangerous.
    Frost after rain can undo any benefit of salting.
    Ensure that your vehicle is adequately prepared for winter driving.
    Finally, if you must travel, adapt your driving to the prevailing conditions and always err on the side of caution; your life and the lives of other road-users may depend on it.

Download Map:Galway City Salting Routes

• Registered Users Posts: 45,495 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Careful on the roads around the city this morning folks.

They haven't been gritted yet. The Tuam road from say the travel lodge to Monaghans roundabout is like a skating rink.

I'd imagine a lot of the other roads are similar.

Nice of the council to put the feet up today.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭nifheorais

what are the Galway city roads like?

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Gingganggooley

They are at their worst this morning. Very icy conditions. No grit out. Footpaths are very slippery too.

Galway on Ice has expanded its show city-wide for one day only.

deadly out the county too, yesterdays rain washed all the salt away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭KylieWyley

thawing away nicely now. road temps are surely above 0, it doesn't feel that cold.

just be sure to have your full headlights on. I see a lot of drivers out there in the fog with no lights on at all.

Was absolutely lethal on the pavement going from Merlin Stores towards the roundabout on the Merlin Stores side this morning. Completely unwalkable.

Be the same tomorrow, we had no wind to dry the roads and pavements off meaning all that lovely moisture will refreeze....from now on in fact.

There is no stockpile of salt in Galway I hear apart from a supply for the Motorway , the N17 and N18.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭cats.life

KylieWyley wrote: »
    thawing away nicely now. road temps are surely above 0, it doesn't feel that cold.

just be sure to have your full headlights on. I see a lot of drivers out there in the fog with no lights on at all.
    full headlights? dont you mean dims.?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Does anyone have any updates on ice/fog on the Galway-Headford road? Supposed to be heading to Headford later but don't want to chance it if the driving conditions are poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭cats.life

hope it dont freeze over the thawed slush , no one will be going no where tonite.

cats.life wrote: »
    hope it dont freeze over the thawed slush , no one will be going no where tonite.

*L* course it will freeze and there'll be freezing fog and lots of fun again tomorrow.
    Basically, unless you need to travel, don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭xo.mary

Was absolutely lethal on the pavement going from Merlin Stores towards the roundabout on the Merlin Stores side this morning. Completely unwalkable.

It's even worse at Galway Crystal!

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭xo.mary

Are double posts allowed? :/

I was talking to one of the merchants at the st. nick market today and he said a few people couldn't show up, like the falafel trailer(I realllly wanted some too!) and said that the guy who sells the crabs' trailer flipped over on the way to town this morning. Hope he's okay!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Ok, I'm afraid of the answer to this, but does anyone know what the roads are like around Athenry and on the motorway? I know it's outside the city but more chance of an answer on here. Meant to be going to Athenry tonight for a party and reeeeally want to go, are we mad to try or might it be ok via motorway?

Advertisement