Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road Conditions

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The motorway might be Ok but as for Athenry itself or Galway on the way back ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

We actually ended up going at 10.30pm and drove back at 4.30am, roads were perfect, one tiny bit of ice on the way into Athenry, that was it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

Bothar an Treadbh is meant to be lethal this morning. My hubby rang me to say that 3 cars had slid off into the ditch at about 10.30am so be careful if ye about there. Garda were there earlier....

It's the road linking the Menlo Park hotel roundabout with the tuam road roundabout:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

has the general traffic in the mornings improved a little since people got used to the weather? Had a week off, back to work tomorrow - heard stories like 'traffic backed up from Furbo into Galway' last week - and really wouldnt fancy that...

Any general opinions?

Other than on the Motorway it seems that feck all gritting has been done since the rain on Friday washed the last lot away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

It is very icy out there, a lot worse than last night me thinks so safe driving everyone.

It is freezing hard everywhere in Galway, it seems the main roads in the city have been gritted but the footpaths will be frozen solid by 7pm at this rate.

Give yourself plenty of time tomorrow because stupid people are guaranteed to do stupid things up ahead.

Just as we got a lovely daytime thaw on sat and sun we will get one tomorrow. BUT rain is expected from around 5pm and could fall for a few hours. This should not freeze on landing but if the sky clears on monday night it will leave wet roads with the salt washed off them and freezing after midnight on monday.

That could cause an epic skating rink on TUESDAY morning and there will be no salt and there is no point in gritting anything wet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Clickster

Can anyone tell me what time the gritters will be out tomorrow morning have to drive Ennis to ballinasloe for work at 6.30am-was gonna use the n18 to Galway and then travel on the n6- very worried!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

I saw a gritter on Dalysfort Road, Salthiill this morning at 9.

The M6 is OK, well gritted, I understand that the N18 is covered in freezing fog right now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭KylieWyley

cats.life wrote: »
    full headlights? dont you mean dims.?

dipped beam. yeah, whoops :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    The M6 is OK, well gritted, I understand that the N18 is covered in freezing fog right now.

I came down from Dublin on GoBus (so M6) tonight. Fog the whole way. Journey took 3:15 (usually 2:30), no one was complaining though, I don't envy the drivers in this weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭flynnlives

iirc the motorway is run by a private company and thus is well maintained and gritted all the time.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Roads are lethal this morning. Very slippy. I had the old car this morning so it's not as good in the ice. If it looks wet or dry it's probably icy. Had a bit of spin taking off on roads that looked like these.

The fog is very thick on the west side as well.

Be careful folks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

M6 was ok between Galway and Athlone this morning. Still a bit of frozen snow in Lane 2 as you get near Athlone and on the Athlone Bypass; Lane 1 was clear. Fog in places..

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Das Kitty wrote: »
    f it looks wet or dry it's probably icy.

That narrows it down a bit! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

Raining now around Monivea. It it freezes later the roads will be like an ice rink.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Raining in Parkmore. Had to go out to another building there and there are invisible patches of ice. Nearly took a tumble. The cloud cover may be a good thing for the temperature though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Raining for the last 30 mins in Athlone (I know this is a Galway forum; just posting in case anyone from Galway has to travel up this direction). Salt/grit will be washed away and then it will probably refreeze overnight :(. Dreading the drive to work in the morning more than the drive home this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭alibabba

Raining in the City most of the day, it will be scary 2moro morning

:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Tomorrow morning is gonna be a joke. So sick of this weather :(

Any road that was frozen this morning will still be frozen under the rainwater. Take it handy, especially in North and East Galway in the dark.

The freeze will be late starting tonight and as I and others pointed out there is no salt any more, all washed away. Be careful out there in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Any road that was frozen this morning will still be frozen under the rainwater. Take it handy, especially in North and East Galway in the dark.

The freeze will be late starting tonight and as I and others pointed out there is no salt any more, all washed away. Be careful out there in the morning.
    Any chance you know what time its due to freeze this evening?

At a guess it will hold generally off till 8-9pm unlike most recent evenings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

I had a spectacular skid near Clarinbridgebthis afternoon; it was the motoring equivalent of Strictly Come Dancing; and I was in a 4x4!with ice mode switched on. Five minutes previous a transit coming the opposite direction almost slid into me but righted himself just in time. So in short, the back roads around Clarinbridge are lethal so traveling via Maree to Oranmore to avoid traffic ain't a good plan right now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

I handed over my car this afternoon to its new owner... what a week to have as your last week with a car you'd already "sale agreed".

Fully convinced I was going to crash it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

Xiney wrote: »
    I handed over my car this afternoon to its new owner... what a week to have as your last week with a car you'd already "sale agreed".

Fully convinced I was going to crash it :(

Hey Xiney, hope it served you well!! Have to say my wife really missed it when she sold it to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭threeleggedhors

I travelled from Galway to Athlone and back today. Conditions were better than most days but there were still some very bad patches, anywhere that's in the shade is very slippy ie beside embankments and under flyovers. Can't believe the speed some people are doing, generally people in their flash autos, Mercs, BMW's, Audi's and Jags, 4x4 jeeps and Artics. Do these people honestly think they can't slide. Absolutely incredible. I could feel my car wobble and slide in the shady areas and yet there they were overtaking in the worse lane to the right. MADNESS !!. Part of me wants to see them do a 360 into a wall, bad I know but can't help it. God I hate icy roads. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Took my normal route back to Tuam today via the Headford Road, cut across at Cloonboo via Peggys.

Big mistake - the road was absolutely lethal, literally like black glass. Huge tailback around 6pm, had to turn around and make a detour via Corrandulla, just about made it onto the N17. So much for the thaw making driving conditions easier.

I know that road is a bit of a rat run but surely Galway CoCo would realise the amount of vehicles that use it every day and treated the surface at least once over the past fortnight?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭threeleggedhors

Anybody know if they're running out of grit ? Didn't see any gritters today on the motorway. Hope they have a good stockpile, according to some meteorologist in the UK we could be in for a howler of a week next week. Time to stock up on tins of beans ...

Advertisement