Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road Conditions

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

Anybody know if they're running out of grit ? Didn't see any gritters today on the motorway. Hope they have a good stockpile, according to some meteorologist in the UK we could be in for a howler of a week next week. Time to stock up on tins of beans ...
    I just passed one at the toll gates on the M6, gritting away merrily.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭minxie

yep, was on the way out from work an hr ago

motorway gritted and slip road into athenry ..

still a bit nasty in patches tho,
    and still some lunatic passed me flat out in the outside lane

the mind boggles !! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭xo.mary

The road in Lurgan Park/Gleann Rua is seriously bad, my friend crashed into another car when both cars skidded on ice :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭alibabba

There are still loads of black ice patches on the motor way.
    It pulss the car every time you pass over a bit. I cant believe the speed some people are drinving at.
    Big thaw coming today thank god. But the big freeze is suppose to come back next week and last until after Xmas ... Not Good !

:(

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Some kind soul scraped the ice off my car this morning before I got up. In fact he did every car in the estate!

:P

Great not to have to use the scraper this morning, there are chunks missing off it from the hard ice over the past couple of weeks, I need a new one.

Roads were still slippy enough in knocknacarra this morning but fine elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Das Kitty wrote: »
    Some kind soul scraped the ice off my car this morning before I got up. In fact he did every car in the estate!

Thats so nice...very random though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭lampsie

Eeep, I had a wobble at the junction beside Thermo-king, turning left heading down towards Wellpark and the car decided it wanted to slide sideways rather than turn; luckily ESP, ABS and possibly jet thrusters kicked in and the car straightened out :) Be careful out there folks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

I travelled from Galway to Athlone and back today. Conditions were better than most days but there were still some very bad patches, anywhere that's in the shade is very slippy ie beside embankments and under flyovers. Can't believe the speed some people are doing, generally people in their flash autos, Mercs, BMW's, Audi's and Jags, 4x4 jeeps and Artics. Do these people honestly think they can't slide. Absolutely incredible. I could feel my car wobble and slide in the shady areas and yet there they were overtaking in the worse lane to the right. MADNESS !!. Part of me wants to see them do a 360 into a wall, bad I know but can't help it. God I hate icy roads. :mad:

Today, both lanes (in each direction) are clear and in good condition until maybe 7 or 8km West of Athlone where there is ice in the overtaking lane. They have a big electronic sign up in advance of the ice; it's good that people are at least warned. Still can't really drive in the overtaking lane at all on the Athlone Bypass - the snow/ice is very slow to melt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭Mr.Mister

Maybe this should become a sticky so we can keep tabs on the road conditions around the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

Conditions are bad.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Meh, drove through the city earlier, twas grand. Just don't go tearing around the place, and if it looks slippy, take extra care. No biggy

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Roads are still there, not been removed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭desaparecidos

Conditions are bad.

Lets not go crazy here.

There's a light powering of snow, that's all. Reduce the speed a small bit and avoid sudden braking or sharp turning.

But don't drive overly slow. You look ridiculous and are annoying.

Conditions are grand

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Conditions are now slightly slippy.

Conditions are somewhat slippy now (so says my father in law)

ronnie3585 is your father in law??

ronnie3585 is your father in law??

Nah he said slightly. :D

Somewhat... slightly.... it's all the same :D

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Lots of black ice over roads in the inner city this morning. Mr Just is heading from the West to Taylors Hill, and he just rang to say it's very dangerous on both roads and footpaths.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Coast road from Oranmore to Galway is well dodgy. Only half of it salted/gritted, the Galway side of it!

Footpaths are dangerous tonight. In particular any that experienced some melt today will warrant a trip to the A&E

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 akurah3

I'm trying to get from Galway to Achill, does anybody know if the roads have been very bad? as well, does anybody know of any garages around galway that still have these snow socks?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Fine dump of snow west of the city, the roads are not well gritted owing to a lack of salt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭confuseddotcom

What is the City Centre and Headford Road area currently like to walk around ..... Is there much snowfall .... Are people generally goin' with the concensus that's it's too dangerous and to stay at home and stay out of town .... Or are people generally getting on with their shopping? Like are the streets thronged / quiet / empty or what's happening ..... :)

Some salt arrived today I hear and was used to clear the main roads in Connemara.

What is the City Centre and Headford Road area currently like to walk around ..... Is there much snowfall .... Are people generally goin' with the concensus that's it's too dangerous and to stay at home and stay out of town .... Or are people generally getting on with their shopping? Like are the streets thronged / quiet / empty or what's happening ..... :)

Town was packed yesterday...Tins of Roses in scarce supply.. Women were able to walk on high heels on icy footpaths..Drivers were driving with mobile phones held up to their ear/speeding/abandoning their vehicles illegally..

Btw I've seen the council littering crew out at 6am all this week, walking and picking up litter on the road.

People travelling LONG distances to places like Belmullet and Donegal ..or Inisbofin...are advised to ensure they travel in daylight hours. Try leaving Galway 10am - 11am and getting to your destination by 4pm latest.

The roads along the west coast and inland are dire and they freeze really hard every night starting around 3-4PM.

Tonight and friday night will both see a hard freeze with the thaw coming in christmas day itself ....sometime.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭alibabba

The roads must be perfect ... saw a guy in a 4x4 clocking 140ish this morning on a regional road. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

• N6 in Galway City was ok this morning as were the other main roads that I used. Housing estates still very icy.
    • M6 Eastbound between Galway and Loughrea was fine. Both lanes clear of frost/ice.
    • M6 Eastbound between Loughrea and a few km West Athlone - some frost in Lane 2; Lane 1 was fine. Could still drive in Lane 2, just with extra care. Both lanes looked to have been treated but temperatures were as low as -13.5 Celcius in parts and traffic was not as heavy East of Loughrea so frost was starting to build again in Lane 2.
    • M6 Eastbound approaching Athlone (J13, Monksland) - Lane 2 had a good bit of frost/ice; everyone was driving in Lane 1 only.
    • N6 Athlone Bypass Eastbound - both lanes were clear of frost/ice once passed J13 (Monksland).

Advertisement