Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow in freezing temperatures?

Options
  • 29-11-2010 9:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭

Someone said to me that if it had snowed in the night then it must have been warmer as snow does not fall in deep frost?

Is that true as I always thought that too?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭pokerface_me

Tell people in Russia that where it reached -28 last night and snowing for the last 3 weeks. Sure its -17 in Wales and snowing????

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Tell people in Russia that where it reached -28 last night and snowing for the last 3 weeks. Sure its -17 in Wales and snowing????

Point taken,, just that the old phrase "too cold for snow" keeps coming to mind...

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭gothwalk

There are temperatures where it's too cold to snow, because the air can't hold enough moisture for snow to form. However, this only happens at around -40C, so it's unlikely here.

In Ireland, it's usually the case that it doesn't snow when it's very cold (lower than -4C, say) because it takes clear skies for it to get that cold. Conditions over the last while have been rather different.

I've seen falling snow in -17C or thereabouts in Finland.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

gothwalk wrote: »
    There are temperatures where it's too cold to snow, because the air can't hold enough moisture for snow to form. However, this only happens at around -40C, so it's unlikely here.

In Ireland, it's usually the case that it doesn't snow when it's very cold (lower than -4C, say) because it takes clear skies for it to get that cold. Conditions over the last while have been rather different.

I've seen falling snow in -17C or thereabouts in Finland.

Thank you; it is a memory from an English childhood and of course these are unusual times indeed.

It was always that when snow came the temp had risen slightly from deep frost. Here now it snows regardless... But Ireland IS damper anyways.

Advertisement