Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Camera Serial Number!?

Options
  • 29-11-2010 9:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭

I lost my camera in Oktoberfest, got in contact with the lost and found and they say that there are so many cameras that realistically, I need the serial number to properly identify it... Does anyone know of any way to get this information off the photos I have from before?! Or should I just accept it's gone and move on?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I have never come across a digital camera that records the serial number as part of the digital data stamped on photos so I'm afraid you'd need the original box or documentation that came with the camera.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭vonniec

damn... i thought as much! thanks anyway... think it's time the manufacturers did that specially for the people that lose their stuff all the time! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

vonniec wrote: »
    think it's time the manufacturers did that specially for the people that lose their stuff all the time! :p

It wouldn't be much good for someone who's camera was stolen and sold down in the local flea market, you'd never be able to trace it and as it would cost the manufacturers to implement it, it's not going to happen.

Ask yourself this question (I know the answer already) - did you make a conscious decision to buy a camera model that stamped the serial number on each photo? No?, well then why should any manufacturers implement the system when it would cost money and confer no competitive advantage given that it wasn't a consideration for you when you made your purchase?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

vonniec wrote: »
    I lost my camera in Oktoberfest, got in contact with the lost and found and they say that there are so many cameras that realistically, I need the serial number to properly identify it... Does anyone know of any way to get this information off the photos I have from before?! Or should I just accept it's gone and move on?

Do you still have the original box or invoice???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭bernard0368

You might be able to get the info from the exif data on a photo, depending on the camera. The guys over on the photography forum might be able to help.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

Give em a picture of the camera model and a picture of yourself and your friends.

If they're willing to search for serial numbers maybe theyll look through the camera pictures to find ones that have your face.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭vonniec

whoa, coylemj, it was a joke?! take it easy!!

thanks everyone, ya they're going to look for it if i can get someone to supervise (!?!) for some reason!
    it's kind of old, so the box/invoice are long gone, it's not the camera i want, it's the photos really!!
    i'll ask on the photography forum :)

thanks everyone for your advice :)

Advertisement