Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

savage busking act

Options
  • 29-11-2010 10:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭

did anybody else hear the young lads that were busking on shop street last nite?
    there was about 5 or 6 of them and when i was going by the were singing rhianna love the way you lie
    they were actually really good!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Yup. KeyWest.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Fionn MacCool

Everyone seems to love them. I saw them in Monroe's and was most unimpressed. Just came across as a generic student band. I guess it's more impressive as a busking act.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Everyone seems to love them. I saw them in Monroe's and was most unimpressed. Just came across as a generic student band. I guess it's more impressive as a busking act.

Only good Busker in Galway is the short, round, middle aged fella. Great voice.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Fionn MacCool

Wompa1 wrote: »
    I do lol at some of the acts. The 'drummers' who sit there all day banging out the exact same rhythm, or the Roma gypsy looking folk who can't actually play the fiddle/accordion but choose to attempt it while standing outside somewhere like Tig Cóilí or Taaffes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

I really don't see the attraction with that Keywest group.

They're doing cheesy, slow versions of other people's songs and the street stops to listen.

Why?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭soundbyte

kraggy wrote: »
    I really don't see the attraction with that Keywest group.

They're doing cheesy, slow versions of other people's songs and the street stops to listen.

Why?

OMG. Cos they're dreamy is because. :sigh:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Blondy mc. earplug teeshirtington greenday dude is always a highlight.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Haven't spotted him yet.

Ah there are a few good very ones, in fairness, but also a lot of rubbish. At least it is democratic, people decide where they give their money. Unlike with the fcuking 'government'!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Looks like he lost his pitch in Eyre Sq to the market. He was playing outside the toilets the other night.

Looks like he lost his pitch in Eyre Sq to the market. He was playing outside the toilets the other night.

Do ye mean the tall stout curlyhaired lad? The one who sings to a backing track from his ipod? Strong voice on him, but doesn't always hit the notes. ;) Kind of endearing when he leaves out the odd word as you'd do if you sang with an ipod.

He's the only one I saw singing at the entrance to the market.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Could be. I only saw 'round' and 'middle aged' in your first post lol. He normally wears black and stands about half way down the square. He seems to be there 24/7. Shame if they moved him cos of the market. Kinda like Terry when the Omniplex opened.

Could be. I only saw 'round' and 'middle aged' in your first post lol. He normally wears black and stands about half way down the square. He seems to be there 24/7. Shame if they moved him cos of the market. Kinda like Terry when the Omniplex opened.

Yeah, someone did say round, short and middle aged. We might be talking about two separate people. The lad with the headphones and the bad mic is 20's or 30's tops.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Ginger banjo guy is very good

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

Meh they are OK from the few times I have seen them.

They could do with expanding their limited collection of cover songs though. I passed by them three seperate times at various times on Sunday (missus dragged me across half of Galway feckin shopping) and they were singing the same bloody cover version of Little Lion(/Lying??) Man by Mumford & Son each time. What the hell like? There are millions of songs out their lads a bit of variety would not go amiss.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

I have to agree with some of the posters here..I think they're woeful.
    They simply take any popular song slow it down and try and sing it like 'The Script' would. Slow, monotone and unoriginal. But each to their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

Nobody will ever be as good as the black guy playing the trumpet! F*cking love him.

JJayoo wrote: »
    Ginger banjo guy is very good

Yes, he's excellent. Is it him that is painted on the wall of the pharmacy beside Easons?

Yes, he's excellent. Is it him that is painted on the wall of the pharmacy beside Easons?

That's him. He plays sessions too, but he's better on the street when he's, emm less merry.

saw keywest and ginger banjo guy today.

keywest were decent for a busking act, but ginger banjo kicks their ass in terms of quality.

that being said, the oh still bought a keywest cd lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Dante

They're buskers and nothing more, with a fan-base consisting of 13 to 16 year old girls.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

inisboffin wrote: »
    That's him. He plays sessions too, but he's better on the street when he's, emm less merry.

+1

The way I hear it, there's one pub that he won't be back to under current management. Luckily Galway has plenty of pubs.

There are rumours that he's Luke Kelly's nephew or son. No idea if they're true, but it's a good story.

JustMary wrote: »
    +1

The way I hear it, there's one pub that he won't be back to under current management. Luckily Galway has plenty of pubs.

There are rumours that he's Luke Kelly's nephew or son. No idea if they're true, but it's a good story.

More than one pub :rolleyes:

That rumour (and a few others) have no truth :rolleyes: Luke was a friend of my father's. Still - a good yarn is a good yarn;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

Yes, a friend and I saw him and have been calling him Luke Kelly Jr. Funny that! He's quite the cheeky charmer. I was walking up past him looking at him curiously while he busked, and he shot me a real cheeky wink. I had quite the girly giggle!

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭yeehaw

The Cool wrote: »
    Yes, a friend and I saw him and have been calling him Luke Kelly Jr. Funny that! He's quite the cheeky charmer. I was walking up past him looking at him curiously while he busked, and he shot me a real cheeky wink. I had quite the girly giggle!

Quite the good story.

Advertisement