Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC 15mb or 30mb

• 29-11-2010 10:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Is the extra worth it for the 30mb instead of the 15mb with upc broadband. We regularly download movies. Also does anyone know where I could get a photo of the router they supply?
    Or the name of the router so I can find one online

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

Have the 15MB myself.. In Tallaght.. Speed test are always in or around the 13-14mb mark..
    Dont do too much downloading but getting a well seeded movie off torrents would take less than 10 mins usually.. All depends on the seed's!!!

Dont have the cisco modem/router.. but from what i hear its not great..
    CiscoEPC2425.png

But you can use it as a bridge and get your own router..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭dillo2k10

Have the 15MB myself.. In Tallaght.. Speed test are always in or around the 13-14mb mark..
    Dont do too much downloading but getting a well seeded movie off torrents would take less than 10 mins usually.. All depends on the seed's!!!

CiscoEPC2425.png

But you can use it as a bridge and get your own router..

Thanks,
    its an ugly looking thing a too. Do ya know if my eircom router will work with it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

your eircom router won't work with it.

you can try and go for a modem only install and buy a router with an ethernet WAN port to use with that, but the old modems UPC have can be hard to get your hands on.

it's a scientific atlanta 2203 and its just a single port modem with the coax connection (like you get with a sky or upc/ntl TV box) for the broadband connection, 2x RJ11 phone sockets and a single RJ45 ethernet port on it.

the AUP (Acceptable Usage Policy) is the same on the 15mbps as it is on the 30mbps (250gb combined up & down traffic per month) so unless you think you really need the extra speed, you might as well go for the 15mbps option.

also, don't forget to sign up via the boards.ie offer to save a bit of money and get a gift voucher. :)

http://www.upc.ie/boardsoffer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭dillo2k10

Didnt know there was a boards offer and I had just signed up before seeing this?? :(

dillo2k10 wrote: »
    Didnt know there was a boards offer and I had just signed up before seeing this?? :(
    see if you can call and cancel and then sign up again. :)

if they won't let you then call and cancel and get someone else in the house to sign up.

or, you culd try looking on the thread link i posted and PM UPC: Jason (who works for UPC, obviously) and ask him if he can fix the signup so you can have the boards.ie offer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

CiscoEPC2425.png

But you can use it as a bridge and get your own router.

I've got the UPC 30mb broadband and it can take a few hours to download a movie... something tells me it's not running right so!

Also a weird message in black has started to appear on screen about how Netgear has blocked the torrent site that I'm trying to download from.

Anyone got any ideas?

I've got the UPC 30mb broadband and it can take a few hours to download a movie... something tells me it's not running right so!
    its going to depend on where you're downloading from and what with. torrents can be slow if they're not well seeded. obviously though we can't really discuss the specifics of this on the forum as it's not allowed to discuss downloading of (potentially, i'm not sure what you're actually downloading, maybe its a 100% legal movie in the public domain:)).
    Also a weird message in black has started to appear on screen about how Netgear has blocked the torrent site that I'm trying to download from.
    not sure what that is, maybe you could take a screenshot of the error? it might be some kind of phishing/trojan protection preventing you from going to a known dodgy site. google chrome does something similar.
    Anyone got any ideas?
    yup: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055334444

its a long thread, but there's plenty of good info in there and you can post up your own questions in the thread and you'll likely get the answers you need as there's a lot of people watching it.

Advertisement