Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlady Trouble

Options
  • 29-11-2010 11:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

I moved in to accomadation at the start of November. When I asked my landlady over the phone if she would sign a form from social welfare she started calling me deceitful saying I told her when I moved in that I was self employed (which i am but i am still received welfare payment though as my income from self employment is quite small) She never asked asked me any other questions about work as conversation changed and I didnt think that this would be an issue. She stated over and over on the phone that she had no problem with me moving out and she would refund my deposit. I was a bit shocked by her reaction, asking me to move out as i was happy where i was.
    When I told her the form was just to let social welfare to know where i was living and I was not claiming rent allowence she eased a bit and told me to post her the form and she would have a look at it. She eventually posted back the form which was fine but she also put my girlfriends name the form as a tennent. My girlfriend is living and studying in galway in rented accomdation and would not be living the accomdation. When I contacted the landlady about this she told me again that she had no problem with me moving out and that she would not lie to social welfare. The landlady knows that my girlfriend is not living with me.
    That left me in a suitation of not being able to send in the form to social welfare as the form states that im cohabiting. The whole suitation left a bad taste in my mouth and I decided that I had to move out I had no choice. Three weeks had passed and last week I contact my landlady telling her that I was moving out and now she is saying that she is going to take an weeks rent from my deposit for not giving her enough notice!
    When I moved in there was no lease signed and I have checked on https://www.prtb.ie/public_registrations.aspx and the property is not registered.

Can anyone offer me advice? Sorry if this is a bit confusing.
    Ciarán

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,388 ✭✭✭✭Victor

How much notice are you giving her0? This is what you need to give and you need to give it in writing.

Duration of Tenancy - Notice by Tenant
    Less than 6 months - 28 days
    6 or more months but less than 1 year - 35 days
    1 year or more but less than 2 years - 42 days
    2 years or more but less than 3 years - 56 days
    3 years or more but less than 4 years -56 days
    4 or more years - 56 days

Sample notice included here: http://public.prtb.ie/act.htm

Advertisement