Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help/Advice Needed

Options
  • 29-11-2010 1:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

I am the manager of a primary school and I need some help/advice.

We have just replaced the Digiweb schools satellite boradband scheme (too slow) with a 3 national broadband satellite scheme system. All is up and running in terms of broadband at a much better speed.

Here is where I need some advice. The existing system had a satellite modem and a Cisco 800 Series (Model 871) router + 4 port switch. The router then connected to the rest of the school network.

I tried to connect the new satellite modem into the Cisco router but I think it is configured to only work with the schools system/modem.

1) Can the Cisco router be re-configured to work with the new modem - I don't have passwords etc...

2) Advice on where to get another Cisco 800 Series (Model 871) router at a reasonable cost...

3) What equivalent model/make could I use to replace it. Adding wireless capabilities would be nice too.

About 20 computers take their internet feed from the network which connects into this router.

Thanks in advance - Craig

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

craigmcc wrote: »
    1) Can the Cisco router be re-configured to work with the new modem - I don't have passwords etc...

You should be able to reset the router to factory defaults using the reset button if pressed within 5 seconds of router power up.

2) Advice on where to get another Cisco 800 Series (M
    model 871) router at a reasonable cost...

There's no such things as a Cisco router at a reasonable cost ;)

3) What equivalent model/make could I use to replace it. Adding wireless capabilities would be nice too.

Any normal (i.e. ethernet WAN port) wireless router will do the job absolutely fine.

Advertisement