Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Please take a minute to help save our jobs!

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Got a reply from my local TD :pac:
    Fine Gael strongly supports An Post as a state company that provides important economic and social services in all parts of the country and employs thousands of people. The company has improved the quality of its service in recent years and has reduced it costs. Ireland has the 8th lowest postage costs in the Eurozone which stands in stark contrast to high prices in other sectors. An Post has never needed any state funds. We certainly will not want to do anything that undermines the company, allows other operators to cherry-pick the profitable elements of the business or creates a situation whereby An Post needs a subsidy. In short, if it ain’t broke don’t fix it!

The Fine Gael spokesperson on Communications, Leo Varadkar TD has visited the Dublin Mail Centre and met with the management. He has also met with representatives of the Communications Workers Union who addressed the Oireachtas Committee on Communications recently and will meet them again when the bill is published.

The only one to reply, the others didn't. Maybe later

Edit, yes I know this is basically a press release and my TD didn't sit down and write a personalized answer to every email

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

It's a press release........lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

It certainly is and has more information then post 30

It certainly is and has more information then post 30

the best you can offer? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

I'am.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Inzilbeth

You are very welcome OP...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭Doogieboogie

Got a reply from Charles Flanagan:

Dear Madam,

Thank you for your email regarding the Communications Regulation (Postal Services) Bill 2010.

I was pleased to have a briefing from local union officials in Portlaoise recently and as well as an opportunity to meet national union officials in Dublin. I am very aware of the importance of An Post as an employer and service provider in Co. Laois.

Fine Gael strongly supports An Post and its workers. They provide a truly nation-wide, efficient and cost effective service, critically important on both economic and social grounds. This is done without the requirement of any government subsidy.

As such, any legislation proposing to change the basis on which the postal market operates should be the subject of detailed and considered debate. Unfortunately, Minister Eamon Ryan only brought this legislation to the Oireachtas in late November, with the Bill being required by European legislation to be passed and enacted by the end of the year. This unfortunately sees the legislation being rushed through both the Dáil and Seanad.

Although bearing this in mind, Fine Gael broadly welcomes the Bill. It provides a basis on which An Post can continue to provide a national service and face into the market with a level of certainty for the immediate future.

However, we have concerns about certain aspects of the Bill. Our concerns in this area are principally (but not exclusively) to do with the compensatory mechanism for An Post to meet the Universal Service Obligation. Continuation of the provision of a genuinely nation-wide postal service with daily delivery to the door is the corner-stone of Fine Gael’s policy on the postal service. We need to ensure that the legislative framework provides the basis for the viable continuation of this and that this will be adequately and appropriately funded. This will need careful consideration at Committee Stage.

Kind regards,
    Charlie.

so, in short, they're going to sell you out OP. But its the right thing to do - it's called progress.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

I have read this post from start to finish and mods have had to comment twice in its short length about keeping it civil. While the content may by a hot topic at the moment and people want there say, some people are being neither constructive nor helpful. If the thread continues in the current vain we will just close it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

Roaster wrote: »
    Ivan I'll take the warning (fair enough) but surely this post isn't an opinion in any type of contructive way, but simply a type of troll if you will. If I'm the only one to see it that way again fair enough.
    The fact that neither you nor anyone else reported the post is why the point was not raised. If you feel someone is being abusive, trolling or otherwise breaking the rules of Boards then simply click on the report post feature and we'll take care of the rest.

And while I'm here, I'm somewhat confused by the crux of this issue:
    surely any postman laid off by An Post as a result of outside competition, will then be in a position to collect obscene amounts of redundancy money and then go apply for a job with An Post's competitor?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

Can anyone tell me what jobs, if any, that have been saved by political intervention?

A couple of years ago I was made redundant despite political lobbying etc, and none of the promised replacement jobs, which were also promised to others in the town who had been previously made redundant from other companies, have ever materialised.

The only way that we can protect jobs is by 'Shopping Local' and 'Buying Irish'. Of course in order to do that the price must be right, so we must all be more productive and efficient.

If An Post is efficient enough then it should be difficult for any competitor to enter the market (companies only exist to make profits after all).

So OP you should be encouraging your colleagues to be more efficient so that we don't have to make a choice between saving money or buying Irish!

Also OP why were you considering using a foreign bank (Rabo) instead of supporting your colleagues and investing in an An Post savings account?
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=67786623&postcount=1

As I said earlier to save jobs Shop Local and Buy Irish.

Also OP why were you considering using a foreign bank (Rabo) instead of supporting your colleagues and investing in an An Post savings account?
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=67786623&postcount=1

As I said earlier to save jobs Shop Local and Buy Irish.

WOW - thats fairly DAMMING OP!
    Explain?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

People have decided to take this thread and launch a personal attack on the origional poster. Enough is enough, there were more reports from this thread alone this week than the rest of the other forums I mod combined.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement