Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Please take a minute to help save our jobs!

Options
  • 29-11-2010 2:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41

Hi all, I work with an post and in 2011 our postal market is open to competition for the first time. Keeping this in mind our union have set up a campaign to help protect your post and I would please ask you to click on the link below and please take action to help us lobby our T.Ds to help save our jobs. Our union has got word that the lowest rate of help in from the Laois / Offaly area at the minute, and all I ask is please help us change this.

If competition comes in, it means our jobs are at risk and in this current climate we need to try keep as many jobs as possible. For the customers, it means that there may be an increase in postal rates, and for customers in isolated areas, it means that there may be a reduction of service to them.
    Also everybody knows their postman / postwoman and this will be done away with. It will mean different people calling to the houses etc.

I would please ask again would you please help save our jobs and it will just take a few minutes of your time. It could definitely help make a difference.
    Thanks so much everybody 14.gif

http://www.protectyourpost.ie/action/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Dipsy

I signed it there zajdoo.

This is all down to the EU and you can thank the Yes voters of the Lisbon Treaty for this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭audismelly

Dipsy wrote: »

This is all down to the EU and you can thank the Yes voters of the Lisbon Treaty for this.

Is competition a bad thing ?

As for the unions.......i for one have enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭Storminateacup

Fock unions. It's never good for one company to have a complete monopoly on a service. About time An Post had some competition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

mmmm, if im being honest, i dont really care........
    sorry about that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 seannie69

Dipsy wrote: »

i agree wit this guy/girl,we voted no there shouldnt ave been another vote the goverment made a fool out of the irish on tat 1,wat i cant understand if we voted no the 1st time why did this go throu the second time,wat changed all those minds???????

• Advertisement

seannie69 wrote: »
    i agree wit this guy/girl,we voted no there shouldnt ave been another vote the goverment made a fool out of the irish on tat 1,wat i cant understand if we voted no the 1st time why did this go throu the second time,wat changed all those minds???????

Some democracy alright. i voted no the two times.
    "yes to jobs" me hole

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

If An Post is operating efficently you have little to worry about, why would another company come here if it couldn't compete and still make a profit?

The only way jobs can/should be protected here is by ensuring consumers can afford to 'Buy Irish' and encouraging everyone here to do so. But if the cost isn't right how can they?

We all need to make this country more efficient, if we all do a little extra than our agreements/contracts state, our employers could afford to sell their goods/services for less which should result in increased sales allowing the company to expand and create more jobs, lower priced goods also mean that we can buy more with our wages/social welfare/pensions.

I was made redundant a couple of years ago from a company that had a semi-state origin. A lot of employees there had only ever worked in that company and no idea of how 'easy' they had it (I had a couple of other jobs beforehand and knew how good it was to work there).

Eventually the business closed moving the bulk of production to the UK. (Despite extensive lobbying of T.D.'s!)
    A small percentage of the production ended up with a company in Dublin which I had the opportunity to visit and it had less people on the line than we had!
    I recently met one the 'Shop Stewards' who has sinced had to take much lower paid work, and is grateful now even if he got the minimum wage.

We need to 'Shop Local', 'Buy Irish' (if we can affored it!) and all do everything possible to make this country efficient.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Dipsy

audismelly wrote: »
    Is competition a bad thing ?

As for the unions.......i for one have enough.

I dont necessarily think competition is a bad thing at all, its exploitation I have a problem with! At the moment An Post receives no state funding and that to me is a good thing! I really think we should support An Post even though their postage prices are very high at times. Perhaps they could revisit their pricing . .. .
    If An Post is operating efficently you have little to worry about, why would another company come here if it couldn't compete and still make a profit?

The only way jobs can/should be protected here is by ensuring consumers can afford to 'Buy Irish' and encouraging everyone here to do so. But if the cost isn't right how can they?

We all need to make this country more efficient, if we all do a little extra than our agreements/contracts state, our employers could afford to sell their goods/services for less which should result in increased sales allowing the company to expand and create more jobs, lower priced goods also mean that we can buy more with our wages/social welfare/pensions.

I was made redundant a couple of years ago from a company that had a semi-state origin. A lot of employees there had only ever worked in that company and no idea of how 'easy' they had it (I had a couple of other jobs beforehand and knew how good it was to work there).

Eventually the business closed moving the bulk of production to the UK. (Despite extensive lobbying of T.D.'s!)
    A small percentage of the production ended up with a company in Dublin which I had the opportunity to visit and it had less people on the line than we had!
    I recently met one the 'Shop Stewards' who has sinced had to take much lower paid work, and is grateful now even if he got the minimum wage.

We need to 'Shop Local', 'Buy Irish' (if we can affored it!) and all do everything possible to make this country efficient.

Great post!! Completely agree that people can get complacent in their jobs, in particular when they have good jobs. Its not until they are at risk or they lose them that they do realise how good they had it.

We must Shop Local and buy Irish - I am a big supporter of that notion!! We must also start to be more self sufficient in lots of areas. But when it comes to the LOCAL postal services, I like that I know my post man and I want to help protect their jobs.

I have had three replies already which is very positive, the TDs dont normally respond so quickly!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

I'm sorry - I cant support An Post on this occasion !!

pricing is ridiculous and service is out dated.... extra competition in the sector will bring a better service.

Why is there a registered postal service? (I mean sending stuff by registered post) .... because An Post were loosing important documents .... An Post should look internally and examine their staff/hiring procedures.

I've been on the resulting end of missing packages, letters, had missing birthday cards and christmas cards from relatives - not turn up for weeks and some not at all.... for me the service is not reliable.

Most people these days prefer sending E-mails ..its cheaper and faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

The OP doesn't seem to mind competition in the banking sector!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=67786623&postcount=1
    Rabo Direct?

Hi all, would love to hear from somebody that has used this bank. Is it safe? I thinking of opening savings account with them. Is your money secure?
    Thanks all

So zajdoo is it ok to loose banking jobs to Holland?

Why not put your money in an An Post savings account?

http://www.anpost.ie/AnPost/MainContent/Personal+Customers/Money+Matters/Savings+and+Investments/

It would help keep some of your colleagues in work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Would another company entering the market not create more jobs?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 wobblinbrush

The post office has always been a rat's nest of nepotism, so boohoo.:rolleyes:

Iv kept out of this thread and i know ill sound like a heartless prick but tbh, i dont really care!

Iv seen men with kids loose jobs they've been in years and there was no one there to help them.
    Sorry for being heartless.
    Maybe you see the lenght of the dole queues and are afraid to have to stand in them at the PO cos it takes god knows how long

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

Dusty87 wrote: »
    Maybe you see the lenght of the dole queues and are afraid to have to stand in them at the PO cos it takes god knows how long
    In all fairness dusty, he's just doing all he can to try to hold onto his job, I'm sure if you thought your job was at risk you wouldn't just lie down and take it, you'd do everything in your power to hold onto it.

maybe he is one of those men with kids and a mortgage,
    maybe he's not! either way, you can't blame the guy for doing his damnest to stay in work.

on a side note...who the hell voted yes on the lisbon treaty???
    I voted no both times, the fact that we said no and then were told to vote again is a terrible insult to Irish people:mad:

magentas wrote: »
    In all fairness dusty, he's just doing all he can to try to hold onto his job, I'm sure if you thought your job was at risk you wouldn't just lie down and take it, you'd do everything in your power to hold onto it.

maybe he is one of those men with kids and a mortgage,
    maybe he's not! either way, you can't blame the guy for doing his damnest to stay in work.

on a side note...who the hell voted yes on the lisbon treaty???
    I voted no both times, the fact that we said no and then were told to vote again is a terrible insult to Irish people:mad:

i voted no twice. I only know one person who changed their vote;) i know i sound like a cnut magentas. fair play for using boards to try and keep his/her job. I personaly never had a problem with an post, so if another company comes in, people who have had good dealing with an post wont leave them. Your right though, and im not trying to knock the fella. I met a man one day and started chattin. He has worked the SAME job for 40years and now its gone. Thats what annoys me. Il say no more as im not the best putting my thoughts to words, but yeah i understand where you and op are coming from.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

Dusty87 wrote: »
    i voted no twice. I only know one person who changed their vote;) i know i sound like a cnut magentas. fair play for using boards to try and keep his/her job. I personaly never had a problem with an post, so if another company comes in, people who have had good dealing with an post wont leave them. Your right though, and im not trying to knock the fella. I met a man one day and started chattin. He has worked the SAME job for 40years and now its gone. Thats what annoys me. Il say no more as im not the best putting my thoughts to words, but yeah i understand where you and op are coming from.
    I don't work in public sector, never have and never will.

I just don't like the devide and the "us versus them" attitude between public and private sector staff. yes, I can see that some public sector staff take their jobs for granted and maybe don't appreciate them as much as they should, but there seems to be such contempt sometimes and I find it pretty disgusting. some of my friends work in public sector and have taken pay cuts and get a lot of crap from people they don't even know when they hear they are public servants, some of them earn less than me and have been in their jobs longer than I've been in mine!

just remember that public servant does not equal loaded!! Just like the private sector, there's people at every level, the fat cats on their rediculously exorbitant wages and the average joe on an a mediocre wage.

I was out of work for a couple of months this year and it's tough.
    I certainly wouldn't wish it on anyone to loose their job:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Wasn't this in the Laois forum last month? :confused:

Anyway I signed it a few weeks back and got a reply back from the my three TD's.

So if you want to sign it you should be getting a letter or email back from them.
    Even if it's a standard party press release it's better then nothing

Advertisement