Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin Bikes in the snow

• 29-11-2010 2:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭

I thought that when the snow fell, the DBs would be completely out of commission, but I saw a fair few hardy souls cycling around this morning. What's the consensus - is it safe to cycle them in the city in these weather conditions? I want to cycle but I don't want to die.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Mutz

Was waiting at a red light at Islandbridge today around 10.30am when a poor fella who was balancing waiting for the light went on his ass about 5 feet ahead of my car.

He was visibly embarrassed but okay and indicated so to the cars at the front of the queue. The whole falling procedure seemed to take ages as he struggled for balance.

Seems a bit dangerous IMO.
    :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

I went from Parnell Square to Molesworth St this morning - no incidents thankfully, but I found it dangerous and wont be doing it again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 chubb22

just came across this post and wanted to have a say.myself and 5 friends cycled 50km yestarday and it was dodgy in places but no accidents thankfully!! just be careful and take your time.also wou;d anybody be able to tell me any info on trek mountain bikes.im lokking at the 6500 model and its takin my fancy so any info/advice would be great,thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I rode them last January when the snow was at its worst. They've relatively wide tyres, poor brakes and gentle gearing, so they're perfect on paper. Take it easy, stay out of the snow (cycle as much in the car's tracks as you can) and avoid using the front brake if at all possible. Ride in such a way that you never have to brake in an emergency. Never use the paths or cycle lanes.

Dead handy for getting around the city when the weather's this crap because busses and cars are going nowhere.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

seamus wrote: »
    I rode them last January when the snow was at its worst. They've relatively wide tyres, poor brakes and gentle gearing, so they're perfect on paper. Take it easy, stay out of the snow (cycle as much in the car's tracks as you can) and avoid using the front brake if at all possible. Ride in such a way that you never have to brake in an emergency. Never use the paths or cycle lanes.

Dead handy for getting around the city when the weather's this crap because busses and cars are going nowhere.
    Ditto

Walking on the paths were more slippery than cycling on the roads.

• Advertisement

Oh, and if you're planning on using them, bring a cloth or something that you can use to wipe snow & ice off the saddle and the handlebars. Doing it with your hands, even with gloves on, is not pleasant about five minutes later when the cold gets in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I haven't tried them this month, but I used them through the last icy period in January and found them quite good, provided you do as Seamus says.

Also, it's worth remembering that on a DublinBike the levers that control the front and rear brakes are reversed from what you're probably used to. The right lever controls the rear brake; it is this brake and this brake alone that you should use if the road is icy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭km991148

I've been well pleased with my b-twin vitamin in the snow - it has ridiculously wide tyres and an easy (single) gearing!

Although for day-to-day the above features have been p!ss!ng me off, I am happy enough in the snow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Went from the Customs House to Trinity on one over lunchtime and back again - and found it ok. As others have said, as long as you take your time and display a bit of common sense it shoudl be ok.

went out yesterday morning, had a couple of wobbles and thought better of it - according to the Garmin I did 2.15km.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Cycled my Brompton from Heuston Station to Kilmainham this morning. Roads were fine, avoided the cycle lane though because it was full of ****.

Also cycled from my home in Newbridge to the train station there. That was also fine. The footpaths still had reasonably fresh snow so just took it easy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭littleredspot

Cycled around the city center today with no problems. All the main roads were cleared.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Oh, and if you're planning on using them, bring a cloth or something that you can use to wipe snow & ice off the saddle and the handlebars. Doing it with your hands, even with gloves on, is not pleasant about five minutes later when the cold gets in.
    Carry a plastic bag to put over the saddle 'cos there is always a last little bit of moisture you can't wipe off with your hand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

chubb22 wrote: »
    just came across this post and wanted to have a say.myself and 5 friends cycled 50km yestarday and it was dodgy in places but no accidents thankfully!! just be careful and take your time.also wou;d anybody be able to tell me any info on trek mountain bikes.im lokking at the 6500 model and its takin my fancy so any info/advice would be great,thanks

u cycled 50k on the dublin bikes?

u cycled 50k on the dublin bikes?
    Stranger things have happened. A couple of lads took them to Belfast when they were first released.

And I spotted someone in Rathfarnham shopping centre last weekend with one...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

penexpers wrote: »
    Cycled my Brompton from Heuston Station to Kilmainham this morning. Roads were fine, avoided the cycle lane though because it was full of ****.

Also cycled from my home in Newbridge to the train station there. That was also fine. The footpaths still had reasonably fresh snow so just took it easy.
    I'll probably be out on the Brompton tomorrow, leaving from Kilmainham. Good to know it was ok today. Of course, tomorrow could be quite different.

What is it with RTÉ and snow? Rainfall is in mm, but as soon as rain turns to snow, they have to give every measurement in inches.

tomasrojo wrote: »
    What is it with RTÉ and snow? Rainfall is in mm, but as soon as rain turns to snow, they have to give every measurement in inches.
    if the snow is light then one inch will melt down to a mm ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

The usual conversion is 1cm snow == 1mm rain. 1 inch would melt to 2.5mm rain. Forecast was in cm rather than inches IIRC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭xoxyx

Ok - I took mine out this morning and let me say, never again until the snow clears!!! At first I thought I was great cycling along the main roads watching the pedestrians slip and slide around. Then I turned on to a slightly less used road and the bike went e.v.e.r.y.w.h.e.r.e.!!!! I barely managed to stay on and thank God there were no cars around. Seriously, there was zero grip from the tires and the road wasn't pure ice, just relatively compacted snow. I had to walk it for the rest of that road.

That was bad enough, but I had seen the road coming. If I had hit a random patch of ice when I was cycling along an otherwise clear road it could have been the end of me.

Still, I felt like a hero cycling past everybody. Cycling in snow and ice!!!

Advertisement