Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Turbo trainer

• 29-11-2010 2:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28

Hi,

I just got a turbo trainer today and am just wondering does anybody have any recomendations on how to get a good workout on them. I won't be racing or anything I just want to keep a good level of fitness over the winter.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

I just got one recently myself, got the cateye cadence which uses the back wheel so I can work on my cadence (which I've subsequently found out really needs work), track my speed and distance. There are dvds available, the main one people seem to use is sufferfest.

But it seems pointless if you aren't tracking what you are doing.

I personally put on pearl jam ten with a tacx dvd of the pyrenees stage, that seems to motivate me;)

Ps. You'll need a plan of action for the sweat, don't let it drip on the frame!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

POW!:

51ZH674279L._SS500_.jpg

Dirk knows all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Sufferfest videos!!!!

http://www.thesufferfest.com/

I downloaded two, burned them on to DVDs and play them through the TV in the kitchen dedicated workout facility I had specially constructed for winter training.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

Big +1 on the sufferfest - check em out pick your poison and pedal away. Def takes some of the boredom out of turbotraining.

They're a very easy way to work if you don't want to be looking at HR or watts etc as they're based on perceived exertion so 1 is lying on the couch having a beer and 10 is flat out sprinting, easy as pie (even if the workout itself isn't!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

Sorry to thread steal. What is the best sufferfest video to go for, in your personal opnions of course. might downlaod my first tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

Well the downward spiral is a nice structured one where you know what you're getting into but fight club is a bit punchier and messier so probably a bit more like actual racing - depends on what you're looking for but I wouldn't have a problem recommending either of them tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

dirk friel .. i thought that was a joke, didnt know it was a real book

Tacx have ok workouts on their site, do the trick for me when im not motivated to follow my plan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

funkyjebus wrote: »
    Sorry to thread steal. What is the best sufferfest video to go for, in your personal opnions of course. might downlaod my first tonight.

I've got Fight Club and Angels - both of which I find great "fun" - I think Fight Club is more wobbly-leg inducing. Angels just leaves me shattered

I was thinking of getting "The Hunted" as something a bit easier - it looks like a different sort of workout and less frenetic than Fight Club, but I'd say it'll still give a good workout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭murf85

Jawgap wrote: »
    Sufferfest videos!!!!

http://www.thesufferfest.com/

I downloaded two, burned them on to DVDs and play them through the TV in the kitchen dedicated workout facility I had specially constructed for winter training.......

Is it possible to download these videos free anywhere on line? Or even some exciting TdeF clibs that might help for a turbo?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Murph100

Dunno what turbo you bought, but Tacx have workouts, and training plan of the month, all free here :

http://www.tacx.com/tacx-coach/trainingsprogrammas/index.dot

Not as exciting as Sufferfest in a million years, but very useful if you're into making a training plan and need specific workouts, should work on any turbo that has variable resistance.

There is a lot of info in the Tacx Coach section, its a bit all over the place navigation wise, but TBH it contains all you need to make a training plan and all associated workouts ... of course I realise this only now after buying tons of books, DVDs & wasting hours on the web :rolleyes::)

• Advertisement
Advertisement