Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Chart, Forecast Analysis & Warnings- 29/11/2010 onwards

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38 tonyrich1

does anyoe foresee these showers going as far south as north wexford. ??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Is there not -8 uppers over the country for most of the night which are due to drop to -10 around 2am, with dew points to drop from around 9pm, as well as a 516 dam line over the country also ?

Dewpoints are actually progged to rise slightly overnight and then fall back tomorrow morning again, vernight is the main problem area really..

Ps, i wouldn't pay any attention what so ever to what any radar predicting precipitation type is saying;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

trogdor wrote: »
    Dewpoints are actually progged to rise slightly overnight and then fall back tomorrow morning again, vernight is the main problem area really..

Ps, i wouldn't pay any attention what so ever to what any radar predicting precipitation type is saying;)

DPs for 12

Looks good for me in Newbridge but on most of the East coast they look like there at 0'c bar the small section over the isle of man.

Would you be expecting the showers to rise the DPs ?

137228.png

DPs for 12

Looks good for me in Newbridge but on most of the East coast they look like there at 0'c bar the small section over the isle of man.

Would you be expecting the showers to rise the DPs ?

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/181192/137228.png

That would depend on what the showers consist of:p If we had a constant stream of heavy snow showers i reckon evaporative cooling from the falling snow may keep the temperature and dewpoint the right side of marginal for coastal areas however if we get cold rain it will do no good really. Areas a bit inland from the coast I'd say are a dead cert for snow though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Met Eireann says as far as they can see there is no end in sight to this weather,

Just reported on RTE NEWS now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

Does anyone know when the weather/temperature is set to return to normal?

MikeySligo wrote: »
    Does anyone know when the weather/temperature is set to return to normal?

From friday evening onwards, things should warm up a bit from the deep cold that will be present of the next few days. But maybe "warm up" isn't quite the best description as it will still be below average for the time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭linguist

There appears to be a definite thaw going on here in Donabate at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭traco

There seems to be a thaw in portmarnock also at the moment (19:00).

There was rain sleet around 3pm and temps bumped to 3c.

In the last few hours there has been hail or graupel if thats the technical term, mix of hail and fine powder.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭linguist

Watched Gerry Murphy on RTE...did anyone else? There appears to be a front coming with the snow behind it. Did anyone else spot that? Cold or warm front then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

From friday evening onwards, things should warm up a bit from the deep cold that will be present of the next few days. But maybe "warm up" isn't quite the best description as it will still be below average for the time of year.

Thanks Trogdor.
    Sounds good to me.
    Love the snow.
    Feckin hate the ice.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

MikeySligo wrote: »
    Thanks Trogdor.
    Sounds good to me.
    Love the snow.
    Feckin hate the ice.

The Met said on there forecast they see it lasting into next week ,

Seems to be a slight breakdown at 90hrs but there is always at least -4 uppers and it looks to be getting colder at the end of the run , but this is well into the FI territory

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭isle of man

i think most of the charts are over adding rain/snow etc.
    well they are for IOM.
    we have had nowt wet for over 24 hours now.
    slight dribble up north for 10 mins at about midnight last night.

Temps today have been a lot warmer then the last few days.
    There ment to be giving more rain/snow for tonight, but my faith in all the charts i have seen is not vary high at this time, as they have been wrong for the past 3 days for us.
    which is a pitty as they are normaly 75-99% right.

clear skys at the mo, rain/snow ment to be at around midnight tonight, but as these showers just apper on the charts from no where i wont hold my breath.

I see the slip stream will be changing by friday which will end this cold weather for a little bit.

Did i see a wind chart posted that had high winds for us on tuesday. That could cuase some major drfting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭hotwhiskey

imagesat.gif
    This is looking good! the current system across the UK is growing intensity.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 197 ✭✭Eastcoastryan

That would depend on what the showers consist of:p If we had a constant stream of heavy snow showers i reckon evaporative cooling from the falling snow may keep the temperature and dewpoint the right side of marginal for coastal areas however if we get cold rain it will do no good really. Areas a bit inland from the coast I'd say are a dead cert for snow though.

Hey Trogdor, quick question.. just had a look at your site and it shows the wind direction as NW, is it not supposed to be Easterly? I've noticed the DP is the wrong side of marginal for snow here. Just wondering, are winds supposed to change direction this evening and what effect would this have on temps and Dew Point?

I want more snow and Met Eireann are teasing me with their weather warnings, whats your thoughts on the next 24 hours??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Right so sleety rain if anything in wexford town tonight and snow tomorrow, Am i right?

I'm being very imby i know but i never usually am and haven't seen wexford mentioned once tonight yet so just curious as my girlfriend is due to travel to waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

M2 bouy dp has gone from -0.8 to -0.6,a slight rise

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

I see posters keep asking question so I think we should deal with this here.

Tonight there will be rain and sleet in coastal counties. Some warmer air has arrived after getting mixed up in the flow from the East. Temperatures and dew points will rise tonight. Lying snow will thaw. Inland a partial thaw will occur. In the morning after 6am snow will return to coastal counties and start to accumulate again.

Tonight snow may occur 40 or more miles inland and on high ground.

Just thought I would put this here because of the number of questions and to avoid confusion.

Basically if you are near or on the coast don't expect anything tonight.

thanks for clearing that up.

even though i hate to read it.

Just incase people are not reading the main reports thread, weathercheck just posted an up on whats happening at the moment :)

Update

Basically what is happening wrt a thaw and the possibility of marginality in the snow is that as the east winds pick up which are steadily they are whipping up air from the Irish sea which is quite mild. This is tempered as it crosses land. It will mean that temperatures won't dip much below what they are now for the east coast for the rest of the night. Persistent precipitation and the heavier will drop the temp and stop any thawing that is occurring as a result of the temperatures being around 0-2c.

The band over the north UK is gathering and this is the band that is expected to pep up further as it hits the Irish sea. This will then hit the Irish sea coasts from around 3am. Until then light showers will pepper the coast, those which are heavier will contain hail and snow, lighter ones will contain graupel, sleet and rain.

Now as the main band (occlusion) hits tomorrow any precip will readily turn to powder snow as the morning progresses and very cold and dry air will push in behind the front, which origins from Siberia. From Tuesday afternoon any showers will consist of snow or snow grains and will stick to pretty much anything. There will be decent showers of snow hitting the east coast right up until Thursday afternoon.

During Thursday night as a slack low approaches from the Northwest, Ireland looks like remaining in a COL (an area between high and low pressures) winds will be non-existent and conditions over head and on the ground will allow for an extremely cold night, with records surely to be broken in some areas. Now a slight change in synoptic could change this, but temperatures could dip to as low as -15c.

Wednesday - Thursday - Friday look like having dramatically cold maxima and minima.

Friday - Weekend.

Sees a weak system from the Atlantic move in, upper air tempatures will rise dramatically but this will have little impact on the surface with temperatures anticipated to struggle to get above 0 or 1c through the period.

A truly exceptional freeze, and if the next few days work out, sure to rival any other in the last 50 years to affect the Dublin region and eastern seaboard.

• Advertisement

from the post above.
    if thats right about and doing a bit of scaleing on the band of rain.

the isle of man should have that band of rain/snow at around 12 midnight.
    will post updates if gets here.

and like has been said hitting you lot at about 2-4am. but the 3am i would say is prob spot on.

this all depends on the winds etc for my guess

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

So folks, just to be clear.

Dublin city can expect rain tomorrow that might turn to snow in the afternoon ?

Having watched the RTE weather forecast this evening , I was of the understanding that any precipitation over the east tomorrow (including Dublin) would be of snow.

There was no mention of the "r" word.

So MT's earlier forecast today of possible blizzards is now defunct for Dublin city centre ? :mad:

derekon wrote: »
    So folks, just to be clear.

Dublin city can expect rain tomorrow that might turn to snow in the afternoon ?

Having watched the RTE weather forecast this evening , I was of the understanding that any precipitation over the east tomorrow (including Dublin) would be of snow.

There was no mention of the "r" word.

So MT's earlier forecast today of possible blizzards is now defunct for Dublin city centre ? :mad:

I think its dependent on how heavy the showers are in the early part of the day to which way it goes .

MT's forecast is done very early in the morning and provides a great guidance but he does say to keep an eye on the threads through out the day as with the time difference he is not around to comment on local developments.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭homolumo

I think its dependent on how heavy the showers are in the early part of the day to which way it goes .

MT's forecast is done very early in the morning and provides a great guidance but he does say to keep an eye on the threads through out the day as with the time difference he is not around to comment on local developments.

I think Derekon is referring to an update he did where things ramped up a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

homolumo wrote: »
    I think Derekon is referring to an update he did where things ramped up a bit.

Exact, I am referring to MT's update that was posted at 15.57 today.
    There is no marginality in his post and neither was there any mention of rain or even sleet tonight from Gerry Murphy . It was snow all the way.....

MT's update today

ALERT for potential snowstorm and in some cases blizzard conditions developing gradually overnight in counties Meath, Dublin, Wicklow and parts of Wexford, and spreading through Tuesday morning to many other parts of Ireland. Despite the current cold conditions, an even colder wedge of Siberian origin is rapidly moving west today across the Baltic regions and should begin to drop temperatures further across the U.K. and then Ireland overnight and through the day on Tuesday. There will also be a stronger easterly wind gradient developing. These factors combined should create some strong sea-effect snow streamers that will gradually make more substantial progress inland. Another area for possible sea-effect streamers will activate into the south coast, and the east coast activity will expand to cover Ulster. Snowfall amounts of 5 to 30 cms are possible across most of Ireland with the 30 cm amounts more likely to be in higher parts of Dublin and Wicklow and isolated higher districts further inland.

I should emphasize that significant snow may develop this evening and overnight in areas close to Dublin and Wicklow but the more widespread and heaviest snow is more likely to come during the day tomorrow, so expect possibly 2 to 7 cms in some of those areas now to midnight, a further 2 to 7 midnight to 0700h before the main blast develops and extends the snowfall to larger portions of the country.

This activity should begin to fade back to something closer to today's situation on Wednesday but with the additional snow, there may be more issues with blowing snow, icy roads and lower overnight temperatures lasting to Thursday morning.

As always, check in with the active threads on this weather forum to get all the latest reports and insights from the crew here.

user_offline.gifreport.gif

I think this is the main bit to look at

I should emphasize that significant snow may develop this evening and overnight in areas close to Dublin and Wicklow but the more widespread and heaviest snow is more likely to come during the day tomorrow, so expect possibly 2 to 7 cms in some of those areas now to midnight, a further 2 to 7 midnight to 0700h before the main blast develops and extends the snowfall to larger portions of the country.

As always, check in with the active threads on this weather forum to get all the latest reports and insights from the crew here.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Did the site just crash ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

Yup!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Not

Having problems accessing / posting in the snow chat thread, but rest of weather threads seem to be no problem - has that thread got too big ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

We are right on the north Dublin coast (donabate). Got a pretty good covering over the weekend. Been a decent thaw on today but really only on the higher passing traffic areas. Housing estates and quoted parts of the area are still pretty covered, though you can hear the drip drip alright.

Been getting hail/graupel stuff since about 4pm.

Advertisement