Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Chart, Forecast Analysis & Warnings- 29/11/2010 onwards

Options

Comments

It's all over for people right on the coasts.

Gerry Murphy on the weather just said it there. Changed the forecast to sleet and rain for coastal areas tonight and tomorrow with inland areas having snow.

That's that then. All over for counties RIGHT on the coast.

PS: The guy is still a bloody terrible presenter, just doesn't look suited to the role.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Gerry Murphy on the weather just said it there. Changed the forecast to sleet and rain for coastal areas tonight and tomorrow with inland areas having snow.

PS: The guy is still a bloody terrible presenter, just doesn't look suited to the role.

He said directly on the coast , which would be 0-5 miles !

Plus darkman2 said that would be the case earlier on this evening

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Mayo Exile

Met Eireann forcast after 9 o'clock news now calling for rain/sleet along east coast itself with snow further inland, similar to predictions here. Did not mention it may turn to snow along coast later on.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Mayo Exile wrote: »
    Met Eireann forcast after 9 o'clock news now calling for rain/sleet along east coast itself with snow further inland, similar to predictions here. Did not mention it may turn to snow along coast later on.

It did

It did

He did? Good!:D Apologies, not paying full attention. Flicking between the weather and the Barca/Real Madrid match. Barca lording it by the way!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭inabina

Folks we need some expert guidance here on this worrying trend of moderate warming- where is WOLFE, where is SU? where is darkman.
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

Haven't the guys here being saying the same?? That there would be little or no snow action till tomorrow late morning and afternoon?

All I know is that we rarely get decent snow or even frost for that matter here but still got a good dosing on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

ah FFS,what happened to the cold air coming in,gerry shouldnt be allowed do snowcasts,he always full of bad news :pac:

agree, Gerry panted and puffed thru it. he cant get his head around it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭hotwhiskey

PLEASE can we keep this thread for Cold Spell Charts and Analysis, there is another thread for chat. Thank you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭steveLFC24

Dew point at M2 buoy back down to -0.9.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

Met Eireann - updated weather warning
    http://www.met.ie/forecasts/warnings.asp

Issued at 29 November 2010 - 22:00
    Update on previous weather warning
    The bitterly cold, wintry weather will continue overnight and through Tuesday and Wednesday with severe frosts and ice. Sub zero night time temperatures and as low as -10 degrees C over snow fields. There will be further episodes of hail, sleet and snow at times through this period, mostly likely in east Ulster and east Leinster. Snowfall will be heaviest over high ground and mountainous areas through the period, where falls of 10 to 25cm will occur, more typical values will be 5 to 8cm at lower levels.
    During tonight ( Monday night) the east coast most likely to have sleet, but this will fall as snow further inland and there may also be some snow showers later tonight in parts of Connacht and west Ulster.
    Updates will follow during Tuesday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭OmegaRed

Lightening and thunder by grand canal dock with some hail

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

I see it is snowing steadily in the CC.

I just cannot get my head around the radar for here. Seems to be highly inaccurate

The precip seemingly passed here but nothing fell

M2 Buoy dewpoint gone from -0.9 at 2100 to -0.6 at 2200.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I see it is snowing steadily in the CC.

I just cannot get my head around the radar for here. Seems to be highly inaccurate

The precip seemingly passed here but nothing fell

that happened to me earlier on this evening made no sense at all.

M2 buoy dewpoint remains at -0.6 for 2300. Wind NE.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

944 guests using boards weather forum:eek:

must be a record

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

Still I would forecast that after midweek of this week that the coldness , the bitter coldness at least will be gone. This is extreme stuff and exceptional by any stretch of the imagination. Yes we may get more cold weather for the rest of the Winter but Id nearly stick me neck out and say that after Wednesday or Thursday that the lowest temperature of the Winter will have been reached.IMO FWIW:)

Think 4c on Thursday and even 6 or 7c on Friday, the weekend may be cold once again but just normal Winter cold snap then as the Atlantic will have warmed some of the Arctic airmass by then.

Enjoy the next couple of days Id say. Or enjoy the ones after if you hate snow;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭4Sheets

fryup wrote: »
    944 guests using boards weather forum:eek:

must be a record

Someone says that every hour or so..:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭compsys

pauldry wrote: »
    Still I would forecast that after midweek of this week that the coldness , the bitter coldness at least will be gone. This is extreme stuff and exceptional by any stretch of the imagination. Yes we may get more cold weather for the rest of the Winter but Id nearly stick me neck out and say that after Wednesday or Thursday that the lowest temperature of the Winter will have been reached.IMO FWIW:)

Think 4c on Thursday and even 6 or 7c on Friday, the weekend may be cold once again but just normal Winter cold snap then as the Atlantic will have warmed some of the Arctic airmass by then.

Enjoy the next couple of days Id say. Or enjoy the ones after if you hate snow;)

Most sites still showing Friday to be bitterly cold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭th3 s1aught3r

pauldry wrote: »
    Yes we may get more cold weather for the rest of the Winter but Id nearly stick me neck out and say that after Wednesday or Thursday that the lowest temperature of the Winter will have been reached.IMO FWIW:)

Seeing as its still only November that is a brave prediction indeed :)

M2 buoy dewpoint now at +0.4 for midnight, from -0.6 at 2300. Looking like rain/sleet on the east coast in the next few hours?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

sdonn, the front has not reached the coast yet. The snow/hail in Dublin is coming from showery activity as the winds in the upper atmosphere change to an easterly direction, while the surface winds stayed more northerly. As the front arrives, wind direction will turn towards the east and temperatures will start to increase.

Looking at the 18Z , there is a slight breakdown on Friday but its gets cold again after that and its Friday week before it shows the Atlantic breaking in , but this is way to far in FI to be reliable

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

m2 bouy dp 1.5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

I think we can safely say the ECMWF made a complete bóllocks of the precipitation predictions for overnight, totally failing to show the huge band through the midlands and west at the moment. The HiRLAM got it spot on.

Just a note on the 06Z SYNOP reports. I see Casement reported 7cm of lying compact or wet snow (in an even layer covering all the ground). Hail shower.
    Dublin had 5cms of the same covering over half the ground. Light to moderate thunderstorm. 1cm new snow fell in the last hour.
    Connaught Airport had a 6cms even layer of dry snow covering all the ground.
    Belmullet had a 2cms even layer of compact or wet snow covering all the ground.

Cold uppers will set in again this afternoon, so those of you with rain and sleet, expect it to turn back to snow by this evening.

Conditions at 6am.

Su Campu wrote: »
    I think we can safely say the ECMWF made a complete bóllocks of the precipitation predictions for overnight, totally failing to show the huge band through the midlands and west at the moment. The HiRLAM got it spot on.

Just a note on the 06Z SYNOP reports. I see Casement reported 7cm of lying compact or wet snow (in an even layer covering all the ground). Hail shower.
    Dublin had 5cms of the same covering over half the ground. Light to moderate thunderstorm. 1cm new snow fell in the last hour.
    Connaught Airport had a 6cms even layer of dry snow covering all the ground.
    Belmullet had a 2cms even layer of compact or wet snow covering all the ground.

Cold uppers will set in again this afternoon, so those of you with rain and sleet, expect it to turn back to snow by this evening.

Conditions at 6am.

and just to add - remarkable that dublin airport is 10C warmer than this time yesterday (-7 this time yesterday, now +3)

delw wrote: »
    m2 bouy dp 1.5

0.4 @ 7am

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

0.4 @ 7am

Isle of Man DP down to -4c now, it is coming.

Advertisement