Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Chart, Forecast Analysis & Warnings- 29/11/2010 onwards

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

The M2 buoy is now reporting a wind direction of 53. For my clarification, is that degrees clockwise from North? It was 96 at the 20:00 reading so my guess is that it's back to NE, therefore the Isle Of Man corridor is back to it's earlier track.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

The M2 buoy is now reporting a wind direction of 53. For my clarification, is that degrees clockwise from North? It was 96 at the 20:00 reading so my guess is that it's back to NE, therefore the Isle Of Man corridor is back to it's earlier track.

Not quite NE but heading in that direction

N = 0º or 360º
    NNE = 22.5º
    NE = 45º
    ENE = 67.5º
    E = 90º
    ESE = 112.5º
    SE = 135º
    SSE = 157.5º
    S = 180º
    SSW = 202.5º
    SW = 225º
    WSW = 247.5º
    W = 270º
    WNW = 292.5º
    NW = 315º
    NNW = 337.5º
    N = 360º or 0º
    The compass (a circle) has 360º. You have 16 points on your compass. 360 divided by 16 equals 22.5 degrees separation between each point.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭glossy

:confused: meaning that we should see snow :D

or not :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Synoptic situation at 9pm.

LOC_20101130_2100.png

Not quite NE but heading in that direction
    The compass (a circle) has 360º. You have 16 points on your compass. 360 divided by 16 equals 22.5 degrees separation between each point.
    Very good - thanks for that.
    glossy wrote: »
    :confused: meaning that we should see snow :D

or not :(
    I tried sticking a compass into my screen and now I can't see things so good ;) To me though it looks like that clear channel that's coming from the IOM and has been 'protecting' e.g. Lucan for the evening, is maintaining it's direction.

Just saw the weather and Gerry said that the winds will be turning more Northerly tomorrow evening (I think?) so that might help the cause. If there's any precipitation left, that's another story.

Extra good news is that there might be more in store for the second half of Friday with a good freeze that night. Time to start crossing body parts again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭inabina

south dublin now full yclear of the bottom streamer and nothing more in the track for south dublin so something must be changing

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭H2UMrsRobinson

I concur - the northern streamer (I believe it's now known as Streamer 1) is over Ashbourne and nearly at Swords. Can you sense my desperation ?

I will console myself with the fact that it's still only (just) November and the whole winter is ahead of us still.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Just looking at the arrival of that mild spell at Casement this morning. A huge temperature and dewpoint change occurred from a total reversal of the wind direction from southwest to east between 6am and 7am.

...........Wind....Temp...Dewp
    6am...SW4kts...-0.9.....-0.9
    7am...E12kts....+2.8....+2.8

There were 7cm of lying snow at 7am, 6cm at 8am, 5cm at 9am. A fairly rapid thaw. Ended up at 4cm at 3pm.

Incidentally, here are the daily snowfall totals for Casement so far (up to 3pm today)

27th: 2.3cm
    28th: 0.0cm
    29th: 3.3cm
    30th: 0.4cm (a good bit more fell since 3pm but is not yet reported)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

i must be hearing things- i could have swore i just heard a rumble of thunder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Vizual Pics

Anyone know if this will have any impact on the North West?

3hr-rain.gif

Wind direction doesnt look favourable and no one else has mentioned it so am I clutching at straws again?

3hr-wind.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

i must be hearing things- i could have swore i just heard a rumble of thunder

probably your stomach because you haven't taken a break from snow watching.;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Lads what do you think of that front that is coming over Liverpool ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

all i can add to the thread is that since approx 9pm here in Balrothery Balbriggan it has been consistently snowing. It froze in the early eve then a tiny thaw then re-froze then snow.
    we are around 40masl

• Registered Users Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭naughto

Anyone know if this will have any impact on the North West?

3hr-rain.gif

Wind direction doesnt look favourable and no one else has mentioned it so am I clutching at straws again?

3hr-wind.gif

if that low comes in visual we are sorted

• Registered Users Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

naughto wrote: »
    if that low comes in visual we are sorted

could it be a polar low:p

Gerry Murphy showed the winds swinging around to the north- north east tomorrow evening bringing with it snow showers to Ulster and much of Connacht. although the high resolution precipitation model- which tends to be fairly reliable- doesn't look too promising:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Edit: wrong thread sorry!

What do you think about the possibility of that front moving from Liverpool in over us ?

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Gremlin

Looks like there is now some convection getting going even in the IOM shadow.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭naughto

could it be a polar low:p

Gerry Murphy showed the winds swinging around to the north- north east tomorrow evening bringing with it snow showers to Ulster and much of Connacht. although the high resolution precipitation model- which tends to be fairly reliable- doesn't look too promising:(

its not showing up on the will it rain today web site yet met eire web site has tis
    3hr-rain.gif

Is any of this possible or am I being hopelessly optimistic ?

137469.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Rambling rose

Blizzard like conditions just south of Kilkenny City for the last few hours.

Will try send some to you all!

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭whysomoody

any chance the snow will clear soon?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Netweather seem to think rain is more likely for the southern half of the country from fridays front.

Edit:Chart wont show for some reason, stupid browser, but the southern half is bluem the liddle green and the north pink for friday 18.00.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Netweather seem to think rain is more likely for the southern half of the country from fridays front.

Edit:Chart wont show for some reason, stupid browser, but the southern half is bluem the liddle green and the north pink for friday 18.00.

Thats how the gfs thinks it will pan out. ME uses the ecm model though, so that may be showing it more as snow rather than rain.

I think it will be rain at low levels myself.

Just a note for anybody in Lucan - Dublin Bus website says the 25a and 25b are not serving Foxborough....

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭paddymc1

We got another covering last night. Anybody know what the roads like out there, i've to head over to Templouge, ballyroan this morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

What is the correct thread to look at for forcasts and chart analysis for the next week? Wondering how things are looking for the weekend from Friday onwards, as the last time i looked it was marginal for a band of percip heading down from the north west on friday?

All the threads seem to be taken up with snow reports from Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Elmo5

The band of precip. is still showing on the GFS model for Friday. The GFS doesn't indicate that it will be cold enough to fall as snow. However, ECM model does have it still quite cold on Friday so according to that, would be a marginal case.

I'm very much an amateur at reading models, but that's how it looks to me. Maybe the more expert users would be able to give you a better indication. MT Cranium's thread is great for forecasts aswell so you should keep an eye on that

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

MODS: Please can we have a thread or edit this one so that is only for forecast/analysis.

It might be better to start again & really stress the rules.

Or how about a "When will the cold spell end" thread.

It is impossible to read through loads of snow & road reports etc just to find the forecasts.

The key thing that many of us need to know is how long this cold period will last & when are the earliest sign of a breakdown. Many businesses, livestock, old people etc are really suffering & we need long term info to plan ahead.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/weather/maps/city?PLZ=_____&PLZN=_____&LANG=en&CEL=C&SI=mph&CONT=euro&LAND=IE&REGION=0002&WMO=u3971&LEVEL=52&R=0&NOREGION=1

Weatheronline doesn't get temps up much above freezing for the next week near me. Take it with a pinch of whatever, but there is no doubt that the models are having great difficulty getting to terms with what heppens in 72 hours never mind beyond. I though we would see the back of this spell after the weekend, but most models keep it cold and potentially snowy for 'some' though maybe not quite as severely cold as now.

Advertisement