Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outdoor Cats (no accommodation or food left)

• 29-11-2010 3:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭

A neighbor of mine has just flown off on holiday (one month) and I see his cat outside sitting on the window cill. He is an outdoor cat and we at times have given him food and some shelter in the past. We already have our own indoor and outdoor (feral cat) living in the back garden.

Now I am sure the neighbors of the people in question may feed the cat, certainly if he makes his way over to us we will feed him but i simply cannot understand people taking on dogs or cats (in particular) if they are not prepared to take on full responsibility for them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

This really annoys me, in this weather the cat would need shelter and extra food to give him a layer of fat to keep warm.
    If you want outdoor cats thats fine, I don't have a problem with it, once they are cared for.
    Is there anywhere you could make a little shelter for it? maybe encourage it in?
    As for going away and leaving the cat, the cat is very lucky there are people like you around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Going to bring some food out to him now.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

The poor cat - it is so cold these nights (and days) - it will definitely need a shelter. Can it get into a shed or anything like that?

I've made a shelter for a stray in my garden as follows: a v. strong box, covering it all around with clingfilm to make it waterproof, lining it with newspapers and old carpet, and then putting a fleece blanket inside. He was quite warm and sheltered in this, but since this cold snap started I've been keeping him inside in my back kitchen. (He is delighted! My own cats who he bullies aren't so impressed however)

I should mention - this isn't just a stray cat - my neighbours moved and left it behind! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Test For Echo

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    Going to bring some food out to him now.

Good on ya. I'll refrain from commenting on the cat's 'owner' :mad:

Since it started freezing I've been leaving food out for a black cat that wanders past my place (I seem to live in the centre of it's 'patch').

Got to feel sorry for stray cats on nights like these.

We already have a cat shelter in our own back garden which he sometimes shares with out outdoor guy. He is a tough little guy but the fact that the owners are away for a full month at this time of year will mean it will be tougher than usual. We will try our best to keep him fed but there is no way of providing adequate shelter unless he comes into our garden. He was an indoor cat who has regressed to a feral state and is wary of humans now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

God reward thee...

Words fail.. my very first week in Ireland I was kept awake by a dreadful howling.... three cats left without any food etc when an old man went into hospital.. I gave them my dinner ( chicken stew ) and fed them for months. Lovely cats they were .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

There is absolutely no excuse for this.

Even with the mentality that outdoor cats hunt for their own food, which some people have about their cats, how the hell would he do that in the weather you're having?

Can you check with the other neighbour whether they've been asked to feed him?

He'll need food and water too - which you will need to keep an eye on because of the cold, he can't drink it if it freezes.

Thank you for helping him - his owner is a disgrace.

There is a car in the drive which I place the food under if i do not see him about. He hangs around his own house more than he does ours. I'll be sure go give him some water too. Have not seen him today yet but this is not unusual as he can be gone for weeks without being sighted.

Advertisement