Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great Dane Pup arrives weds! Advice

• 29-11-2010 3:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭

Hi all

So the newest memeber of the family is coming on weds. Just needs some advice as to what is the rcommended amount of food to be feeding him per day?

The main school of thiught seem to be lees than 23% protein, 2-3 cups a day? Does anyone differ with this opinion?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Normally the breeder will give you advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I'm sure it all depends on the food, hopefully someone with giant breed dogs can advise.
    I know a friend changed her very large shepherd cross to adult food quite young(around 6 months) as the food was lower protein.
    Maybe you could ask the breeder?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Luath or Burns would get our vote but all dogs are different so you may have to try a few before you find one that suits your dog. NB only buy small bags to start with so you're not left with tons of food that doesn't agree with the dog.
    Also the most important rule when you get a puppy or new pet is to post pics for all of us to coo over! :D:D:D

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

Back when I was planning on getting a dane I put a good bit of research into the food as well, the main thing to look for is a puppy food specific to giant or x-large dogs. It should have no more than 2% calcium and about .9% phosphorous. Too much calcium for a dog that size means the bones will actually grow the wrong shape. A dane breeder and member of the irish great dane club told me that everyone's dane is different, that some can handle high protein, some are better on low, it will take about a month to figure out what works better for your fella, but he said the calcium levels were the thing to watch for. Until he's six months old, you'd do better feeding him four times a day (split the entire days amount into four meals) as it cuts down the risk of bloat). I've got two different foods here that are specific to giant breeds (my own pup is on the way and I'm giving him a mix) and for a dane (male) you should be giving him 400-420g of a high quality food. Lower quality means more food, so in some brands you could be feeding 1000g a day to get the same out of it. And dont forget- puppy food until he's 24months old.

Hope that helps. You'll have to post pics of him when he arrives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,939 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Advice........RUN

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

scudzilla wrote: »
    Advice........RUN

Second that. My brother had a great dane and the fella nearly ate him out of house and home. They are nice and friendly but if they get excitable hit the deck, if it jumps up on you unexpected, you are going down!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

My great dane pup is just over 1 year old and my little angel :) If you want any advice just pm me and I'll be happy to point you in the right direction.

As regards diet, stay away from puppy foods, these are way too high in protein and you do not want a puppy particularly a giant breed puppy with development/growth issues. If you are getting the pup from a reputable, experienced breeder they will no doubt give you a diet sheet which should include recommendations on supplements to help their development (ie glucosamine and chondroitin for their joints and vitamin c). You should be aiming to grow the pup slowly, you will have a much easier development process then. Bear in mind great danes literally grow before your eyes. 20%-23% is the ideal protein level, most puppy foods are waaay too high at on average 26% and sometimes as high as over 30%. And if you are willing do some research on BARF feeding, I can't recommend it enough, especially for giant breed dogs. Google Dr Ian Billinghurst and you will find all the information you need. I feed my pup BARF, have done so since a month after I got him, as recommended by his breeder. Majority of breeders recommend BARF and if your breeder doesn't give you information on it, go to the Irish Kennel Club website and you will find a list of breeders (if not, try the UK KC website), most reputable breeders will be more than happy to send you on advice if it means a boost for the breed. If you want advice on what to feed BARF wise give me a shout and I'll try and help you out but as I said your breeder or an experienced breeder would be your best bet in this regard.

The most important thing with great danes is training, as wompa1 said, when these dogs are excited, hell when they're calm, they can easily knock you over and that's when they're pups, imagine a dog that weighs more than you overpowering you, not something you want. Train from day one and you will have a nice, docile, obedient pup, I can guarantee you that. They go through a teenage period from about 10-18 months where they act exactly like teenagers, selective deafness etc but with consistent training this can be diluted down for you a bit. Also, make sure everyone in your house is consistent with training. My dog has knocked people over while playing, completely unintentional but it can so easily happen (I obviously am so used to him that I always manage to step out of the way haha!). Most people will recommend training classes but if you can do it one to one you will have much more success and it will be so fulfilling.

You should look into crate training or setting out one room in your house to confine the pup to when you are out/at night time etc, this will limit destruction and as much as their puppy eyes fool you they are destructive in the same way as all pups but the size of their jaws cause waaay more damage than a little jack russell or other such small breed. If you're interested in crate training pm me as I actually have a large crate that I no longer use and was bought for my pup.

Main advice would be to stay away from great dane forums, they are full of so-called "experts", you are better off contacting a breeder, even if it's not the breeder you're getting the pup from, if you have any questions or a decent vet.

These dogs when trained right are the best companion I could ever recommend but I hope you know what you're taking on, when I first got my pup I literally gave up my social life. In fairness, I took him on when I lived on my own so it was just me there to look after him (which had it's upsides too), but you need to be prepared to be at their beck and call to ensure you are consistent with the training.

My great dane pup is just over 1 year old and my little angel :) If you want any advice just pm me and I'll be happy to point you in the right direction.

As regards diet, stay away from puppy foods, these are way too high in protein and you do not want a puppy particularly a giant breed puppy with development/growth issues. If you are getting the pup from a reputable, experienced breeder they will no doubt give you a diet sheet which should include recommendations on supplements to help their development (ie glucosamine and chondroitin for their joints and vitamin c). You should be aiming to grow the pup slowly, you will have a much easier development process then. Bear in mind great danes literally grow before your eyes. 20%-23% is the ideal protein level, most puppy foods are waaay too high at on average 26% and sometimes as high as over 30%. And if you are willing do some research on BARF feeding, I can't recommend it enough, especially for giant breed dogs. Google Dr Ian Billinghurst and you will find all the information you need. I feed my pup BARF, have done so since a month after I got him, as recommended by his breeder. Majority of breeders recommend BARF and if your breeder doesn't give you information on it, go to the Irish Kennel Club website and you will find a list of breeders (if not, try the UK KC website), most reputable breeders will be more than happy to send you on advice if it means a boost for the breed. If you want advice on what to feed BARF wise give me a shout and I'll try and help you out but as I said your breeder or an experienced breeder would be your best bet in this regard.

The most important thing with great danes is training, as wompa1 said, when these dogs are excited, hell when they're calm, they can easily knock you over and that's when they're pups, imagine a dog that weighs more than you overpowering you, not something you want. Train from day one and you will have a nice, docile, obedient pup, I can guarantee you that. They go through a teenage period from about 10-18 months where they act exactly like teenagers, selective deafness etc but with consistent training this can be diluted down for you a bit. Also, make sure everyone in your house is consistent with training. My dog has knocked people over while playing, completely unintentional but it can so easily happen (I obviously am so used to him that I always manage to step out of the way haha!). Most people will recommend training classes but if you can do it one to one you will have much more success and it will be so fulfilling.

You should look into crate training or setting out one room in your house to confine the pup to when you are out/at night time etc, this will limit destruction and as much as their puppy eyes fool you they are destructive in the same way as all pups but the size of their jaws cause waaay more damage than a little jack russell or other such small breed. If you're interested in crate training pm me as I actually have a large crate that I no longer use and was bought for my pup.

Main advice would be to stay away from great dane forums, they are full of so-called "experts", you are better off contacting a breeder, even if it's not the breeder you're getting the pup from, if you have any questions or a decent vet.

These dogs when trained right are the best companion I could ever recommend but I hope you know what you're taking on, when I first got my pup I literally gave up my social life. In fairness, I took him on when I lived on my own so it was just me there to look after him (which had it's upsides too), but you need to be prepared to be at their beck and call to ensure you are consistent with the training.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭luvdogs

ohhh very exciting :D
    id agree that the breeder should give you a diet sheet and food for your pup to start with, make any food changes slowly over a week!
    Def stay below 25% protien and give no added supplements other then vit c and sunflower oil!
    The feeding guidelines on food can be deceiving and i always go by eye, for an 8week old dane id start with one normal mug of complete food,soaked slightly,four times a day...slowly introducing the vit c and sunflower oil!
    lots of good dane sites around to browse, best of luck :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭DeadlyByDesign

Thanks for all the advice guys. Might actually drop you a PM about that crate as it may save a lot of leg tables during the "chewing anything i see"years. I have been researching into getting a dane for the better part of 2 years and definitely know what I am taking on. I have looked into the caused of bloat, to be aware of hip dysplasia, the diet (incidentally I looked again at the proteinn level of the food i bought during the weekend and seen it is 29%!!-so that is going in the bin)

Most importantly i know to have a good sense of humor with them. As more so than other breeds, they have their own "just being a puppy"period.

I will be socializing him with 2 cats so that adds more spice to the cocktail as well!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭hadook

Seconding the crate and don't become complacent around 12-18 months mark when they appear to have matured into a nice dog. It's a lie! They're trying to lull you into a false sense of security :D That idiot puppy is still there, just camouflaged and they can do a lot more damage now. We stopped crating the MooDog around 16 months as she seemed perfectly well behaved - couple of months later she ate the walls (through plasterboard and into the breezeblock underneath) one evening and ripped the architrave off the bathroom door :rolleyes: She was about 4 before I took the crate down the second time and even now I restrict her access in the house when I'm out :)

Print the symptoms of bloat out and keep them somewhere obvious - refer to them if you're unsure. YamaMoo bloated twice this summer and didn't display the classic symptoms until after we'd arrived at the vets despite having fully torsioned both times. Get insurance or set up a saving account - they have an extra sense called "out of hours vet" that kicks in when they feel poorly and hides the symptoms until the regular surgery hours are done.

Re the cats - lock that litter tray away, especially if it's a covered one. Litter snacks are the ultimate Dane treat and they will help themselves if they get the slightest chance. This is a big problem when you catch them, startling the IdiotDog who will then jump up and back in a guilty fashion with the litter tray stuck around their neck.

Take plenty of pictures, otherwise you'll never believe that the monster taking up the couch was a teeny puppy once :)

hadook wrote: »
    Re the cats - lock that litter tray away, especially if it's a covered one. Litter snacks are the ultimate Dane treat and they will help themselves if they get the slightest chance. This is a big problem when you catch them, startling the IdiotDog who will then jump up and back in a guilty fashion with the litter tray stuck around their neck.

Regarding the litter tray, you are the second person to say that to me in 24hours! Is kitty poo a delicacy to a dane or something ?!

Definitely get pet insurance. If you are faced with any of the common dane health problems you will come home with bills into the thousands, you're just better off. A new pup should come with 6 weeks free insurance from a good breeder also.

Also, it's not even that they require the vet more often than other dogs (once they're healthy) it's that when they do they require larger doses of everything so bear that in mind

Definitely get pet insurance. If you are faced with any of the common dane health problems you will come home with bills into

+1! get it cos you'll be so glad you have it if the time comes!!! Our guys op was 2k and it only cost me the €100 excess.

Is everyone with Allianz? I have a quote of 300 premium from them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 329 ✭✭dvet

Shanao wrote: »
    Back when I was planning on getting a dane I put a good bit of research into the food as well, the main thing to look for is a puppy food specific to giant or x-large dogs. It should have no more than 2% calcium and about .9% phosphorous. Too much calcium for a dog that size means the bones will actually grow the wronrg shape .

+1 about the low calcium! Really important for giant breed pups ... Some great advice given here by everyone else too :)

Regarding the litter tray, you are the second person to say that to me in 24hours! Is kitty poo a delicacy to a dane or something ?!

It seems to be to every dog but other breeds don't get their head stuck in the litter tray :D

There's cheaper companies but I'm with Allianz cos our vet does direct claim with them so I just pay the €100 excess, sign the form and then they fill it all in and the jobs done. Also because we've been with them from day one we're covered for his existing illness - if we moved to a different insurer it wouldn't be covered. Check with your vets because they usually have booklets that have a voucher for a few months free etc ;)
    €300 euro is nothing btw when it comes to vets bills - our guy cut his paw in the summer and the bills would have easily been €300.

Also, it's not even that they require the vet more often than other dogs (once they're healthy) it's that when they do they require larger doses of everything so bear that in mind

This!

After BloatII we were sent home with various drugs etc. I was very amused to read a caution on the front of one of the antibiotics stating that I wouldn't be able to eat or milk her for 10 days after the course was done :D (price per tablet for dog medication was so stupidly high for a Dane dose that the vet prescribed Cow meds lol).
    I also had to collect her painkillers from the pharmacy (she was on a people version for the same reason) and ended up waiting an extra 20 minutes while they rang the vet to query the dosage as it "couldn't be right" :D

We were going to insure her with Allianz but they declared her heart condition to be pre existing so we went with the savings account.

I'm with petinsure, premium of €260 odd for the year.

• Advertisement

Our new boards puppy :pac: Your new puppy is coming today!!!!!!!!!!! I can't wait to see the pics:D:D

tk123 wrote: »
    Our new boards puppy :pac: Your new puppy is coming today!!!!!!!!!!! I can't wait to see the pics:D:D

Yep!!1 Sooooo excited! Collecting him tonight from the north, so will be tonight or early tomorrow until i can get anything on here, but just to whet your apetite, here he is at 3 weeks

33711_453993521493_556731493_5656075_8335212_n.jpg

Yep!!1 Sooooo excited! Collecting him tonight from the north, so will be tonight or early tomorrow until i can get anything on here, but just to whet your apetite, here he is at 3 weeks

33711_453993521493_556731493_5656075_8335212_n.jpg

It looks like a bear cubs ass!

Wompa1 wrote: »
    It looks like a bear cubs ass!

Lol! Not sure how to take that! Thanks I guess!

Lol! Not sure how to take that! Thanks I guess!

ha ha it's one funny looking great dane. Don't think I've ever seen one that was all black and so furry!..you sure that's your dog!?

Its a blue, and at that age the skin is wrinkly and the steel blue colour is very dark. Deffo my dog.

He's very dark for a blue, my pup is a blue and was never that dark, maybe there is some black in him.

Love the wrinkly skin (sure they need excess skin for all the growing they do) and the little face. Bet you're looking forward to getting him home tonight. He'll enjoy the snow anyway, when I got my lad home it was during the really bad weather in January and he couldn't get enough of the snow!

Yeh the pic is not the best quality, but you can see the blue tint in the hair in real life. Oh and for the bad weather would people advise doggy coats? Being a short hair breed and all.

It's up to you whether you get him a coat but I would say no for two reasons.

1. He is going to grow at an alarming rate, you will literally wake up everyday and he will be bigger, I'm not exaggerating. This will make it very difficult to get him a coat that will fit for much more than a week at a time. For their first year or so all they do is grow.

2. My pup doesn't have a coat, he doesn't need one, he won't wear one and it's not necessary. Unless you are living in -10 conditions they're not really an essential item especially not if you have to replace it every other week.

My dog wouldn't wear a coat if I bribed him with steak, he prefers a good roll in snow and then gets heated up at the rad after.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭portgirl123

congrats on ur new pup. cant wait to see up to date pics. Will u be able to travel with the weather?

Advertisement