Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great Dane Pup arrives weds! Advice

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭DeadlyByDesign

congrats on ur new pup. cant wait to see up to date pics. Will u be able to travel with the weather?

we will just have to take it very easy and be super careful

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭portgirl123

we will just have to take it very easy and be super careful

Great. just be very careful, heard rds up north are very bad

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭luvdogs

Ahh he looks lovely but id have to agree that he looks like a black, blue pups dont really change colour... they always look blue!! either way im sure you dont mind, you have years of dane fun ahead of you...best of luck with your new baby :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

The largest dog in Ireland/GB died this week, a mixture of a Great Dane/Irish Wolfhound. It cost £70 sterling a month to feed him :eek::eek::eek:

My little westie cross - I buy good food and it cost me €35 every three months.

Hi all

Collected him last night, here are up to date pics.

Things I learned about Buddy last night;

1. Buddy HATES stairs-they are his mortal enemy-anyattempts to up said stairs will produce looks of despair and disbelief

2. Cats- "I like them.....am I one of them? Lets ask the friendly looking one.."BANG

3. Leashes are for wussies, I will bitch and complain when said leash is on..."oh wait I like this lets walk more!"

4. Cat toys are in fact my toys.76581_473521646493_556731493_5938069_3648906_n.jpg

149115_473521771493_556731493_5938070_1951699_n.jpg

155947_473521906493_556731493_5938071_5624277_n.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Those are completely normal puppy problems.

All i'd say is try and keep him off the stairs as much as possible as they're really not good for larger breeds and could damage him while he grows. Also, if the dog gets into the habit of being upstairs when he's older it will be hard to get him out of the habit especially if the dog ends up with any bone problems.

He will get used to the collar and lead, put it on him in the house for increasingly longer periods of time and when he behaves himself you should reward him with a treat. Do it in steps, try for 5 minutes and then increase to 10 etc, if he gets antsy at any stage go back to the previous step he was comfortable with. He'll learn to love it quickly because dogs love their walks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Those are completely normal puppy problems.

All i'd say is try and keep him off the stairs as much as possible as they're really not good for larger breeds and could damage him while he grows. Also, if the dog gets into the habit of being upstairs when he's older it will be hard to get him out of the habit especially if the dog ends up with any bone problems.

He will get used to the collar and lead, put it on him in the house for increasingly longer periods of time and when he behaves himself you should reward him with a treat. Do it in steps, try for 5 minutes and then increase to 10 etc, if he gets antsy at any stage go back to the previous step he was comfortable with. He'll learn to love it quickly because dogs love their walks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭boxerly

O M G !!! too cute xxxxxxxx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

He's very sweet! Am loving the GIANT paws!

Yeh could not get over the size of his paws! He is getting on fine, bit of an altercation when he got over friendly with one of the cats last night though. On the pus side he now knows his boundries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭hadook

It's good that he's learned respect for the cats :D

Advertisement