Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

New to Gaming

• 29-11-2010 3:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭

Hi Everyone,

Ok so I am a complete noob to online gaming. Before this all I ever owned was a Sega Megadrive and a PS2 and was happy enough playing against mates in the house. Anyway my new room mate has an Xbox and he is also a complete noob but has no interest in online gaming.

Anyway. I think I understand how to set it up from reading the stickies but I have a couple more questions if thats ok.

When I buy an online subscription can I use it on my room mates machine and then my own (when I buy one)?

What are microsoft points and how are they put to use?

What are the rewards I keep getting in game? e.g. 10G in black ops for completing a mission?

Do I need a headset?

I bought the elite version of black ops - how do I download new maps/weapons and is there a limit on what I can download?

are there any rules/etiquette I need to be aware of?

any other vital info?

thanks guys really appreciate the help

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

bubbleking wrote: »
    Hi Everyone,

Ok so I am a complete noob to online gaming. Before this all I ever owned was a Sega Megadrive and a PS2 and was happy enough playing against mates in the house. Anyway my new room mate has an Xbox and he is also a complete noob but has no interest in online gaming.

Anyway. I think I understand how to set it up from reading the stickies but I have a couple more questions if thats ok.

When I buy an online subscription can I use it on my room mates machine and then my own (when I buy one)?
    Yes, but you must transfer your Gamertag. On his machine, you can go to "Recover Gamertag" (Scroll to the right when you're about to sign in). This can take a while because it downloads all achievements, and possibly avatar items, too. For a new gamer, it might not take long, but it takes me at least 5 minutes. Alternatively, you can stick it on a memory stick and just transfer across instantly. If you transfer to his console, then you must re-transfer it back to yours when you want to play

They're the currency for buying content on Xbox Live Marketplace. You can buy game add-ons, themes, avatar items, arcade games... Rough comparison is that 800 points is about €10, 1200 points is about €15. Whatever you do, don't buy them through your Xbox. They sell 500 and 1000 points, which will leave you with an awkward number of points. Majority of items cost 400, 800 or 1200 points. You can pick up 1200 point cards in Gamestop for €15. I buy 800 from here: http://gamecards.eu/games/goods/47 You can also get a cheap subscription to Xbox Live there. Any points or subscriptions will come with a 25 digit code. To redeem it, press the Xbox logo button in the centre, scroll to the left, and go into Redeem Code. Once you log into Xbox Live, you simply go into Game Marketplace to purchase items. There'll be sub-categories like Arcade Games, Game Add Ons etc, so you can have a nice browse around! Simply go onto that game's page, and it'll give you a price. Confirm your purchase if you want it :)

What are the rewards I keep getting in game? e.g. 10G in black ops for completing a mission?
    These are Achievements. Every game has a certain number. A disc game will normally have 1,000G on offer, and arcade games have 200G. If you buy any DLC (downloadable content), this will add more achievements. These will begin to add up and appear on your profile. Some people like to show that they've 100% completed a game, or show off a high Gamerscore. It means nothing to me, but it displays a number on your profile

Do I need a headset?
    No, but it certainly helps. Every Xbox comes packaged with a headset, though. It's fun to communicate on multiplayer games, but beware of mouthy ego freaks on games like Gears Of War and Call Of Duty. You can always mute people by going onto their profile, anyway

I bought the elite version of black ops - how do I download new maps/weapons and is there a limit on what I can download?
    What do you mean by the elite edition? The Hardened Edition comes with a medal and some Zombies maps I think. The Prestige edition comes with a remote control car, and the above. Or did a store sell you an Xbox Elite (120GB hard drive) with Black Ops? You'll never have to download weapons, everything is included in the game. If you bought the Hardened or Prestige edition, you get a code for 4 free maps. As I explained before, simply press the Xbox button in the centre of your controller, scroll to the far left, and hit Redeem Code. You can also bet that there'll be DLC map packs for multiplayer in the future - the Modern Warfare 2 ones cost 1200 points, so these will probably be €15 as well, but there's been no announcement yet. Your only limit is how big your hard-drive is, and how many points you have.

Not really. Obviously it's better not to be insulting people on mic, but some games just have communities like that :p

any other vital info?

Hope I helped!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Hi Everyone,

you can recover your gamertag onto the console. takes a good few minutes though

these can be used to download more game content such as maps guns cars etc.. basically online money

there worthless but its your gamersocre. some people try and get all the achievements and the more you get the higher your gamerscore, but not important at all IMO

Do I need a headset?
    if you wish to talk to people online yes

no not yet as far as i know, and you can download as much as your harddrive can hold. bigger hard drive is better as you can install games to make them run faster and quieter

dont scream down the headset like a 8 year old mocking peoples mothers.
    dont use any modded controllers to cheat or modded console to gain an unfair advantage or you will get banned

any other vital info?

buy battlefield bad company 2 :D

hope that helps

edit : i'd the reply box open and went watching tv before i wrote back so i guess healiums reply beat me to it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

Well I'd recommend buying Monday Night Combat for 1200 points :p Screw your B:BC2 :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭bubbleking

Thanks lads that's brilliant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭bubbleking

oh lads just one more question - when I recover my Gametag do I need to save all the settings to a memory stick or what? Like what I mean is how do I put my gametag back onto my console after I take it off my friends?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

oh lads just one more question - when I recover my Gametag do I need to save all the settings to a memory stick or what? Like what I mean is how do I put my gametag back onto my console after I take it off my friends?

repeat the process.
    i dont think you will have your saves on ur friends console though

Just one more thing about these. If you buy some DLC (extra levels or arcade game) on your mates Xbox, it'll be linked to his Xbox (well, the serial number of the motherboard). They might not work offline on your own Xbox.
    I guess buy them on your own Xbox, so they'll work on and offline. They'll play online on your mates Xbox no bother.
    Healium wrote: »
    Well I'd recommend buying Monday Night Combat for 1200 points :p Screw your B:BC2 :D
    I'd recommend both :p

Advertisement