Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

treat us fare

Options
  • 29-11-2010 3:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

i am a single farther with joint custody of my children i cant work for health reasons i went and got a place for myself and children whom i have friday to monday morrnig the welfare told me to get a place for myself whitch i did after paying a depoit and waiting for for my rent allowance thay then turned round and sent me a letter saying the children are adaquatley accomadated with there mother and they wont help with my rent the last part really hurt because i feel i can be as good at bringing up my children as any lady can love them feed them and clouth them so i went to look for help some where and every time i am comming up with the same problem no help for single dads the point i am making is its about time organisasions reconnise single farthers need support as well we are suposed to live in a society of equil rights yet there is help out there for single dads and i still never solved my accomadation problem but i will still love my children and fight for fareness as a single father

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

This post is impossible to read, please insert full stops and paragraphs.

If you have children, you need to take responsibility for them, nothing new there. I really am not sure what the problem here is, other than a rant about the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

The country has no money and can't be paying for two houses for one set of kids. If you want to support them, figure out how to get money to pay for things.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Crayo I dont think that is a fair reply. The country is up **** creak all right but it has enough to support people abusing the system and people who have never paid taxes in this country. The op has just as much right to support as his ex has and this is completely unfair for him to be treated this way.

Op if I was in your position I would be ranting too. My advice is to visit your local td or councillor and explain your situation and see if they can arrange some help for you.

Also why not post on the single fathers thread as some of the people there may have good advice for you.

Sorry for your troubles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭astra2000

Ah now I am shocked by the first two posters. What would you have the op do not have his kids over night? He cant work he is reliant on the state and he has his kids 3 nights a week, he needs support how can someone who cant work due to illness "get money for things".
    Appeal the secision op go to citizens advice and see if they can help, best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 pokerman123

i have asspestos on my long thats why i cant work

• Advertisement

fare enough there are spelling mistakes but dont neen arse hole like you to critise me when doards is for helping each other

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Fittle

Firstly OP, you are doing yourself a complete disservice with the mis-spellings etc, but that really shouldn't matter.

Secondly, you love your kids - that's obvious. Do you have anywhere else you could have access to them? Could you stay at your parents and let them sleep-over there?

The criteria for eligibility for rent allowance for a decent home where your kids can stay over, is different to that of a single man, with no dependents.

What has happened that the HSE have now re-assessed your rent allowance?

This bit of your post slightly unsettles me;

'they wont help with my rent the last part really hurt because i feel i can be as good at bringing up my children as any lady can love them feed them and clouth them so i went to look for help'

It's quite gender biased as far as I can see - you refer to their mother as 'any lady'. Is there someone suggesting to you that a woman can raise her kids better than a man? It seems like a particularly strange comment to me, when you are referring to the mother of your children:confused:

The bottom line here is that the HSE have cut any and every budget in their remit - if they have been given you extra rent allowance to allow you to keep your children for three nights every week, it's possible they may now have reassessed that situation...:confused: and many situations like yours..although I haven't heard of any cuts to rent allowance just yet.

astra2000 wrote: »
    Ah now I am shocked by the first two posters. What would you have the op do not have his kids over night? He cant work he is reliant on the state and he has his kids 3 nights a week, he needs support how can someone who cant work due to illness "get money for things".
    Appeal the secision op go to citizens advice and see if they can help, best of luck.
    thanks for your advice i will do that and can you please tell me how to close my account on boards as i no longer want to stay on after those other comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

thanks for your advice i will do that and can you please tell me how to close my account on boards as i no longer want to stay on after those other comments

No need to close it, but people are fairly intolerant of bad punctuation. As far as I know, you can remove your account, but your posts will remain. Best of luck with your situation.

Fittle wrote: »
    Firstly OP, you are doing yourself a complete disservice with the mis-spellings etc, but that really shouldn't matter.

Secondly, you love your kids - that's obvious. Do you have anywhere else you could have access to them? Could you stay at your parents and let them sleep-over there?

The criteria for eligibility for rent allowance for a decent home where your kids can stay over, is different to that of a single man, with no dependents.

What has happened that the HSE have now re-assessed your rent allowance?

This bit of your post slightly unsettles me;

'they wont help with my rent the last part really hurt because i feel i can be as good at bringing up my children as any lady can love them feed them and clouth them so i went to look for help'

It's quite gender biased as far as I can see - you refer to their mother as 'any lady'. Is there someone suggesting to you that a woman can raise her kids better than a man? It seems like a particularly strange comment to me, when you are referring to the mother of your children:confused:

The bottom line here is that the HSE have cut any and every budget in their remit - if they have been given you extra rent allowance to allow you to keep your children for three nights every week, it's possible they may now have reassessed that situation...:confused: and many situations like yours..although I haven't heard of any cuts to rent allowance just yet.
    the reply was the kids have a home adduquatly with there mother so why should they help me is there reply i do feed and look after them but worry about the houseing side of things with help with rent and the part about the lady is i can look after them as good as any lady can and if she was in my possion they wouald get help straight away thats what i am trying to say thank you

• Advertisement

Pokerman, I doubt they actually said 'they have adequate food etc, so why should we help you?'. There must have been a re-assessment of your situation?? Is your ex also in receipt of rent allowance? Perhaps they can't justify rent allowance on two homes?

I don't know - I've been on welfare and rent allowance myself, when my son was younger, so I do know how difficult the HSE have been to deal with. But yours is the first case of rent allowance beinh cut, that I have heard of ever.

Dont close your account on boards - it can be a very useful resource for you - particularly as you face this difficult time.

Did they give you the option to appeal their decision?

iam appealing the desion but in the mean time the land lord has had no rent for six weeks and i may lend up with no home to have my children at

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I would like to remind posters this forum is meant to be supportive of parents and posts which have a go at a poster are not permitted.

pokerman123 if you could make a bit more of an effort with your spellling it would be really helpful, I have dyslexia and I found it very hard to read and understand.

As for you not getting rent alloance, you need to keep appealing and keep pushing.
    You are a parent and having the kids means you need to have somewhere suitable for them to stay in with you.

The system is biased but as your not the custodial parent, parents like you can get ingored, don't give up keep pushing.

http://www.uspi.ie/

Who is your bolded text aimed at Mod? I think everyone here has been quite supportive of the OP, except for the spelling, which you have also pointed out yourself:confused:

I'm not sure that he needs the support of the uspi.

He needs to appeal the decision of the HSE. Although, as I've already stated, I doubt they just said your kids are adequately cared for by your ex, so why should we help you? They must have given a reasonable response in their decision to cut his rent allowance, or else it would be very open to appeal?

Perhaps if the OP could explain exactly what their decison was, and what it was based on, it might be more helpful?

Fittle if you have a comment or a question for a mod re a mod warning or action pm, do not drag the thread off topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

The CWOs are under tremendous pressure, they are cutting left right and center and across the board. They have even cut transport costs for kids who have to travel to Dublin for treatment.

OP- I dont know where you live, but you might get a better space for your kids for less money outside of a main city. It might require some more travelling but it is better than being homeless.

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Fittle if you have a comment or a question for a mod re a mod warning or action pm, do not drag the thread off topic.

I didn't think it was a warning:confused: I only asked who it was directed at, as i feel everyone on this thread, so far, has offered the OP advice,apart from the typo comments, which have been dealt with:confused:

Anyway OP, the previous poster is correct, the CWO's are currently under huge pressure, and perhaps cutting rent allowance where kids aren't living in the primary home (I am assuming the mum in this situation, is also in receipt of rent allowance), are one of those cuts.

Can you have your kids at your parents home OP? Or even another family members home?

Fittle banned for failing to follow mod instruction and again posting about a mod action in thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Have you gotten a letter from your ex partner explaining that you have custody of the children for the nights that you have them, from a GP etc? They may help towards your appeal to the CWO.

Advertisement