Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What am I doing wrong? RE: DVD Burning!

• 29-11-2010 4:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭

Not sure where in the Tech forum this goes so please move if its in the wrong forum!

I tried burning a film onto a blank DVD-R disk but failed horribly, wondering could ye help me out with this before i waste any more blank cd's!! :o

First I right clicked on the film file and chose burn to disk from the menu. It asked me to put in a blank DVD so i did and i was surprised how quick it took. Tried it in the DVD player but it wouldnt work, then realized that it didn't burn to it it just put the file onto it!

Secondly after searching around on the laptop i found DVD Maker in the start menu so i tried that, i chose the film file and up it came on the program and clicked burn to blank DVD, this took a good 2hrs to burn to it and i thought i finally had it!
    Stuck it into the DVD player and a nice little menu came up for it that i chose in the program and the film started, i was delighted but then realized there was no sound whatsoever!!

What the hell am i doing wrong!!!??? :(

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

I hate cds & dvds. Just too unreliable for my liking.

Look up an app called Virtual CloneDrive, a handy free virtual CD/DVD drive app. Build your disc as an image, rather than burning to an actual disc. Then mount the image in the virtual drive to test it out.

Chances are, you're either doing nothing wrong, or missing something fairly simple. There's always the possibility that the player you're playing the discs on simply cannot read them properly! I went through half a pack of discs one time before realising that :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

what file format is the film?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

download convertxtodvd3 and convert all your video files through that.once its finished converting them,it will burn them to disc,all in the one phase.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭drunkymonkey

Build your disc as an image, rather than burning to an actual disc. Then mount the image in the virtual drive to test it out.

Sorry you'll have to dumb it down a bit for me there, i'm not that tech savvy! :o
    Adam wrote: »
    what file format is the film?

It's an AVI file!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

well chances are your dvd should just play it unless it's more than a few years old. just grab yourself a copy of nero and burn it as a data disc (i.e. no need for conversion or options relating to burning a movie to dvd) and it should play fine.

if you can get the make and model of your dvd player we can see for sure if that will work.

• Advertisement

well chances are your dvd should just play it unless it's more than a few years old. just grab yourself a copy of nero and burn it as a data disc (i.e. no need for conversion or options relating to burning a movie to dvd) and it should play fine.

if you can get the make and model of your dvd player we can see for sure if that will work.

It's a Phillips DVP520!

I downloaded ConvertXtodvd3 and it seems to be working fine so far its converting it at the moment then it will burn it!

I'll let you know how it gets on! ;)

I checked the DVD player on the internet and it says it plays DVD-R and DVD-RW cd's so it should work!

Ok update....

It finished converting and burning it! Threw it into the DVD player and again perfect picture but absolutely no sound again!!!

I tried it in another DVD player and the same happens, also just to say i tried a different movie file this time just in case it's something to do with the file, but exact same thing!

Any ideas??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

Sorry you'll have to dumb it down a bit for me there, i'm not that tech savvy! :o
    well i guess it will depend on the software you''re using.. some have the option, some don't. Basically, you can burn the disc, but instead of burning to an actual disc, you can burn to file, saved on the hard disk. You can then mount that file on a virtual CD drive to test it out. Can be very useful to save destroying discs.

Tell me though, the dvd that had good picture but no sound, did that work OK in the PC?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

OP did you consider that it may be the media you're burning on to? What brand of DVD's are you using? Have you tried to use DVD+R's?

• Advertisement

have you your dvd player on mute?

well i guess it will depend on the software you''re using.. some have the option, some don't. Basically, you can burn the disc, but instead of burning to an actual disc, you can burn to file, saved on the hard disk. You can then mount that file on a virtual CD drive to test it out. Can be very useful to save destroying discs.

Tell me though, the dvd that had good picture but no sound, did that work OK in the PC?

No, it was the exact same on the PC, but before i burned it the sound worked when i opened the file.
    chin_grin wrote: »
    OP did you consider that it may be the media you're burning on to? What brand of DVD's are you using? Have you tried to use DVD+R's?

Yeah thought this might be it, i'm using Maxell DVD+R disks!??
    have you your dvd player on mute?

HAHA, I'm not that technologically dumb but no it's not. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 104 ✭✭GarRo247

What I usually do is to save the video file to a USB and plug the USB into the tv, it saves all the hassle of using DVDs.

What specifically are you trying to do? Do you have to make a DVD to give to someone or are you just trying to watch it on your tv? Let me know the situation and we can try to find an alternative instead of wasting time and discs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭alanhiggyno1

download dvd shrink its by far the best for converting dvd to avi and just burn using another program called imgburn..google both and believe me its the easiest for the not so computer savy person

download dvd shrink its by far the best for converting dvd to avi and just burn using another program called imgburn..google both and believe me its the easiest for the not so computer savy person

Roxio is definitely the easiest, you don't have to convert anything it does it all, you just need to tell it the purpose of the DVD select the file and click burn and it will do the rest. You have to buy a fairly expensive licence though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭alanhiggyno1

thats why imgburn and dvd shrink are free

There good but Roxio is better if you can afford it, it comes free with some dells

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Have used DVDSanta in the past, and found it easy to use, and fairly straight forward.

As for sound, sounds like a codec issue.

the_syco wrote: »
    Have used DVDSanta in the past, and found it easy to use, and fairly straight forward.

As for sound, sounds like a codec issue.
    the convertxtodvd3 usually sorted out the sound on any dvd i used it on that there was no sound.its strange its not sorting out the ops sound problem!

Advertisement