Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Desire HTC Sense -> Vanilla 2.2 Froyo root

• 29-11-2010 4:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭

Heys guys, sorry if this is posted elsewhere, point me in the direction if it is.

Consdering rooting my Desire. Had it a while now, and while I'm still in love with it, want to see what rooting offers.

Mainly I want to get stock Froyo2.2 and dump the Sense Ui. Whilst its lovely and nice to the eye, I just want the basic Froyo.

So granted I have found numerous guides how to root, I can't find recommendations to Vanilla froyo2.2 releases.

Not looking for fancy extras, just want the os that would be for example on the Nexus one.

Help greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Give Cyanogenmod a try. One of the biggest and most popular roms out there (with good reason too. Been doing great work ever since the G1)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Will give this a shot tonight, in case I'm not a fan, I can rollback through a backup I'd make correct?

So if I dont like the new rom, I can go back to the way it was before?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

TheDoc wrote: »
    Will give this a shot tonight, in case I'm not a fan, I can rollback through a backup I'd make correct?

So if I dont like the new rom, I can go back to the way it was before?

Nandroid backup will take a snapshot of the entire phone, (ROM included) and you can restore easily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭nedd

When you do root install RomManager from the Market. This is a great app that lets you take Nandroid backups and restore them. It also has a section to download ROM's and Cyanogenmod is there. I was a little wary of installing ROM's at first but RomManager made it easy.

I was thinking of giving Cyanogenmod a go but I like the A2SD+ on my current ROM.

nedd wrote: »
    When you do root install RomManager from the Market. This is a great app that lets you take Nandroid backups and restore them. It also has a section to download ROM's and Cyanogenmod is there. I was a little wary of installing ROM's at first but RomManager made it easy.

I was thinking of giving Cyanogenmod a go but I like the A2SD+ on my current ROM.
    Cyanogenmod should have A2SD+ aswell.
    It used to anyway :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭nedd

Ha ha. It could well have a2sd+. I really should research stuff before I post. I might chance it if it does have it.

Apparently its no longer supported by cyanogenmod but there are hacks available to implement it

I'm on bootloader .93, seems like its more compliacted to do with my bootloader

Using this revoked thing, not as easy as its made out.

Installed the drivers, got the programme, everything fine, but it wont detect my phone : /

Giving up, cant it working, effort**

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

I had the smae issue on my Windows laptop due to having VMWare, VirtualBox and DoubleTwist installed.

Grap a Linux Live CD and boot of it, then either download the linux version or copy it via usb / mount your Windows part and run it from there.

Installed the drivers, got the programme, everything fine, but it wont detect my phone : /

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

If you just want rid of sense and go with basic froyo - just turn off HTC sense. No need to root unless you are leaving out a load of info from the OP...

I had the smae issue on my Windows laptop due to having VMWare, VirtualBox and DoubleTwist installed.

Grap a Linux Live CD and boot of it, then either download the linux version or copy it via usb / mount your Windows part and run it from there.

I actually have them installed.

And yes mitch, I want rid of sense to try basic froyo, there is an option to turn of sense?

I actually have them installed.

And yes mitch, I want rid of sense to try basic froyo, there is an option to turn of sense?

yeah, applications, manage applications = HTC Sense - clear defaults. should work.

yeah, applications, manage applications = HTC Sense - clear defaults. should work.

That only works with third party launchers, not with the embedded UI.

JustinOval wrote: »
    That only works with third party launchers, not with the embedded UI.

it works with HTC Sense. I have done it myself.

When you hit home it will ask how you want to complete the action - letting you chose either HTC Sense or 'Launcher' or Home or something... not sure what it was called, but it is the stock Android viewer.

Not on mine...

worked on my HTC Hero previously, and my mates Desire.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Ample Free ...?

I remember seeing reviews on YouTube showing how you could switch between 'Sense' and 'Launcher'. However this was was back in the days of Android 2.1, maybe the feature was dropped when moving on to Froyo.

I remember seeing reviews on YouTube showing how you could switch between 'Sense' and 'Launcher'. However this was was back in the days of Android 2.1, maybe the feature was dropped when moving on to Froyo.

Yeah, that could be it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

It still works but you may have to clear defaults. settings/applications/..../htc sense / clear defaults.

Now click the home button and it will prompt for which launcher to complete the action.
    it works with HTC Sense. I have done it myself.

When you hit home it will ask how you want to complete the action - letting you chose either HTC Sense or 'Launcher' or Home or something... not sure what it was called, but it is the stock Android viewer.

• Advertisement

elderlemon wrote: »
    It still works but you may have to clear defaults. settings/applications/..../htc sense / clear defaults.

Now click the home button and it will prompt for which launcher to complete the action.

Nope. I get that but I'm telling you, it doesn't work on mine.

There was no stock launcher on mine.

I downloaded launcherpro and its all working and I have pretty much my phone the way I want it.

Just want to test out the phone without sense, unfortunately there are still some sense ui things there, like for example the drawing code for unlocking the phone still doesnt ever turn on, I've to drag down the bar.

But as said above, alot of HTC unbranded Desires dont have a stock launcher, so you need to download a third party one.

But thanks mitch, things are looking good.

Granted I've lost 4 home screens and some other bits, the phone seems a bit simpler and smoother and I dare say a bit faster without the added stuff on top.

Will give it a few weeks to see what I feel is better, at the moment, happy with how its rockin

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭MGMTea

i'm really interested in rooting my Desire and installing Cyanogen ROM, but was just wondering would it keep all my settings or would I have to do a clean install?

MGMTea wrote: »
    i'm really interested in rooting my Desire and installing Cyanogen ROM, but was just wondering would it keep all my settings or would I have to do a clean install?
    Youd have to do a clean wipe for it to guarantee no boot looping

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭MGMTea

Ok have rooted my Desire, but not going to install Cyanogen ROM just yet, sooo what are the essential things to do after rooting (im sort of a noob at this by the way :P) ? Cheers:)

Advertisement