Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

School closures so far (tuesday..)

• 29-11-2010 4:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭

Heres today school clousures (tuesday) List will be updated.. (81 Schools were closed yesturday across Waterford)
    Closures So Far for Tuesday 30th November
    1. CBS, Carrick
    2. Scoil Mhuire, Greenhill Carrick-On-Suir
    3. Naíonra Choill Mhic Thomáisín In Kilmacthomas
    4. Fenor National School
    5. St. John of God Passage Road
    6. Scoil Aireagail BallyHale

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

Here is a list of school that contacted us to say they are closed tomorrow Tuesday 30th November 2010

1. Abbey Community College, Ferrybank
    2. Adult Education Centre - Railway Square
    3. Ballygunner National School
    4. Butlerstown N.S
    5. Butlerstown NS Until Further Notice
    6. CBS Tramore
    7. CBS, Carrick
    8. Christ Church N.S.
    9. Clonea-Power N S
    10. Coláiste Cois Siúire , Mooncoin
    11. Comeragh college, Carrick on Suir
    12. De La Salle College
    13. Denise's Playgroup, Butlerstown
    14. Dunhill National School
    15. Fenor National School
    16. Gaelscoil Philib Barún
    17. Girls' And Boys' Primary Schools In Kilmacow
    18. Glor na Mara, Tramore
    19. Good Counsel GNS, Ferrybank
    20. Holy Cross In Tramore
    21. Kill National School
    22. Kilmacthomas Primary School
    23. Knockmahon National School, Bonmahon
    24. Knockmahon NS
    25. Mercy Pre-School
    26. Mercy Secondary School
    27. Montessori Pre School In Kill
    28. Mooncoin Boys Primary School And Mooncoin Girls Primary School
    29. Mountsion Secondary School
    30. Naíonra Choill Mhic Thomáisín In Kilmacthomas
    31. Our Lady Of Mercy Stradbally
    32. Portlaw N.S.
    33. Presentation Pre-School
    34. Presentation Secondary School Waterford
    35. Ramsgrange Community School
    36. Rathgormack N.S.
    37. Ringville NS
    38. Sacred Heart Centre, Lady Lane
    39. Saint Angelas Secondary School In The City
    40. Scallywags Playschool, Ballygunner
    41. Scoil Aireagail BallyHale
    42. Scoil Mhuire Greenhill Carrick-On-Suir
    43. Scoil na Croise Naofa , Stradbally
    44. Seafield National School, Bonmahon
    45. St Beacon's Ns Mullinavat
    46. St. Declans Community College Kilmacthomas
    47. St. James’ N.S. Stradbally
    48. St. John of God Passage Road
    49. St. Joseph’s, Parnell Street
    50. St. Martins Special School, Ballytruckle
    51. St. Mary's Boys' School Ferrybank
    52. St. Paul’s Community College
    53. St. Paul’s Pre- school
    54. Stella Maris, Tramore
    55. Tiny Tots Pre School, Dunhill
    56. Waterford Educate Together School
    57. Waterford Educate Together Tycor is closed until further notice
    58. Waterford School Of Further Education, Parnell Street
    59. Waterpark Secondary School

FROM WLR just now updated

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

I've copied this over from the "snow" thread. I'd just be interested to know other people's opinions. I have two kids myself who are off the last two days and to be honest they'd be better off in school. We live in town so obviously we wouldnt't have the same issues as living in the country.

I'd like to know people's opinions on the schools being closed.

Like those of us that are still working have made it to work except those who are in remote areas but by and large where I am most if not all are in.

They say it's on health and safety grounds that if someone slips they could be liable. But in fairness it hasnt snowed since Saturday.

So take the main schools here where you must have at least 50 teachers in each school who are now sitting at home for the last two days doing nothing basically. What was to stop them getting into the schools yesterday and arming themselves with a few shovels and wheelbarrows and clearing the place and making it safe?

Maybe I'm being harsh but closing them for two days seems over the top.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭pocketvenus

jimbojazz wrote: »
    I've copied this over from the "snow" thread. I'd just be interseted to know other people's opinions. I have two kids myself who are off the last two days and to be honest they'd be better off in school. We live in town so obviously we wouldnt't have the same issues as living in the country.

Like those of us that are still working have made it to work except those who are in remote areas but by and large where I am most if not all are in.

They say it's on health and safety grounds that if someone slips they could be liable. But in fairness it hasnt snowed since Saturday.

So take the main schools here where you must have at least 50 teachers in each school who are now sitting at home for the last two days doing nothing basically. What was to stop them getting into the schools yesterday and arming themselves with a few shovels and wheelbarrows and clearing the place and making it safe?

I have to say I agree with you in one way. Obviously country schools would be different and maybe people and children getting in from outside the city but I hacve to say all I am hearing is oh it is too dangerous to go out on the roads and get kids to school but judging from the amount of them in town today with parents etc this only applys to going to school. Kids be better off in school and the days are going to have to be made up somehow.

Mount Sion was open today & I saw a good few kids going in and there was no problem though I say there won't be a huge atttendance.

When I was in school we never got a day off for snow or ice - we were told we would have to stay indoors at breaktime and also the paths were cleared as much as possible and we were just told to take care and walk slowly and I am not that old only in my late twenties. I remember one year we had really cold weather and snow and heating was off - were we sent home nope we put jackets on and finished school day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭newportwex

Dead right, i think we should also look into cancelling christmas for the kids this year, or at least give them extra homework to do during the break....

newportwex wrote: »
    Dead right, i think we should also look into cancelling christmas for the kids this year, or at least give them extra homework to do during the break....

Explain?:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭deise blue

I've copied this over from the "snow" thread. I'd just be interested to know other people's opinions. I have two kids myself who are off the last two days and to be honest they'd be better off in school. We live in town so obviously we wouldnt't have the same issues as living in the country.

The schools are shut for health and safety reasons - end of.

Teachers are paid to teach not to clear school premises in hazardous weather and thereby risk injury.

It's only a presumption that teachers are at home doing nothing - they may very well be catching up on school related work.

If you however deem it helpful don't hesitate to visit your kid's school with a brush and wheelbarrow.

deise blue wrote: »
    The schools are shut for health and safety reasons - end of.

Teachers are paid to teach not to clear school premises in hazardous weather and thereby risk injury.

It's only a presumption that teachers are at home doing nothing - they may very well be catching up on school related work.

If you however deem it helpful don't hesitate to visit your kid's school with a brush and wheelbarrow.

I would - but I'm in work. And if I dont turn up for work I dont get paid and get real if you think for one minute I believe that they're at home catching up on school work - dont make me laugh.

They're employed by the state and yeah if it means getting off their asses and clearing the place to get it ready well they should - I dont get paid to clear up either but we all made an effort here yesterday to make sure that it was in a fit condition for us to come in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭newportwex

[/B]

I would - but I'm in work. And if I dont turn up for work I dont get paid and get real if you think for one minute I believe that they're at home catching up on school work - dont make me laugh.

They're employed by the state and yeah if it means getting off their asses and clearing the place to get it ready well they should - I dont get paid to clear up either but we all made an effort here yesterday to make sure that it was in a fit condition for us to come in.

I think the kids should be in there making the place safe with their buckets and spades too instead of sitting at home on their lazy asses....

The children are the future, unless we can stop them now....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

i say a good few schools, we will closed again today (wednesday) list later.

schools open today: St Pauls, St Stevens, Mountsion, Scoil Lorcain, Our Lady of Mercy, Holy Family Presentation and Ursuline ... All Open!!

[/B]

So what if you're in work , if you're that worried it about shift your ass early or go in after work, after all that's what you want teachers to do.

The schools are shut for health and safety reasons and if teachers opened same & a kid was injured then they would be sued - a defense of " we had a crack team of teachers in , well versed in the art of gritting and snow displacement working to ensure health & safety regulations were adhered to " would be laughed out of court.

As for the teachers not working well such is life , we can't really allow for bad weather - indeed they may be on the lash in town downing large bottles and balls of malt or they may be home doing school work - neither you or I know, do we ?

• Advertisement

Its a good Thing the school are closed, Unless you want your kid to Go head first into the ground, Its to dangerous down in Waterford, still snow everywhere, Maybe in the City its ok, so some schools can open, And if the The Principal wants the school to open, he should tell the council to get up of there asses, and start griting roads That go to the school, and making footpaths safer, And get his staff back in To start clearing up the surrounding area, and make the Yard or whatever clean and safe, And thats that, The council Couldnt be botherd to do Anything. And the staff just wan ta day off, Thats ireland thats What happens today...

Here is a list of schools that have contacted us to say they are Open tomorrow Wednesday 1st 2010

All Secondary Schools In Carrick Will Be Open Tomorrow

Gaelscoil Philib Barún, Tramore

Little Stars Pre -school c/o Kingfisher has re opened and will open tomorrow weather permitting

Mercy Secondary School

Mount Sion Secondary

Mt.Sion Boys N.S.

Our Lady of Mercy & Holy Family P.S.Military Rd.

Presentation Girls N.S.- the homework club and Parent/Teacher meetings for Presentation School are cancelled.

Saint Pauls Community College

Scoil Lorcain Boys N.S.

St Angelas The Ursuline Secondary School

St John Of God School,Passage Road, Will Open On Wednesday Dec 1, Weather Permitting

St. Saviour's NS

St.Paul's Boys N.S.Lisduggan

St.Stephens Boys N.S.

Ursuline Girls N.S.Ballytruckle

Waterpark Secondary

Schools Closed Tommorow Wednesday 1st December 2010

Fenor National School And Pre-School Closed (Wednesday)

Fews Ns Will Remain Closed On Wednesday 1st December

Jellytots Preschool, Ballyduff Lower

Mercy Pre School Will Remain Closed For The Rest Of The Week.

The Clonea/ Rathgormack Community Playgroup Will Remain Closed Tomorrow

Dunhill Multi-Education Centre will remain closed Wednesday December 1st.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 238 ✭✭rayc

I think when the school is open it puts pressure on the parents to bring the kids to school, which for me is where the real danger lies.... the drive. So it's really all about where the majority of the students are travelling from. I think the majority of city schools should be open really but many of the country ones have every right to shut.

Also I think it's unfair to single out teachers to clear their own workplace, same can be said about any other person/profession that is currently on a snow-day really. A much better question is when are we going to privatise the county councils so some 'actual' work might get done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

we were all kids once and an unexpected day off school was a rare treat so I'm happy to let mine enjoy this little bonus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

My girls go to the Mercy primary, which is open tomorrow, but I can't even get out of our estate, the roads are that bad.

I can't take the chance bringing the car out. Tried to go to the local shop earlier and nearly went into the wall opposite my house.

Hate that they'll now be marked as absent, as they had a 100% attendance record up till now, but there's no way I'm gonna risk it until I know the road here is safe enough to drive on.

So what if you're in work , if you're that worried it about shift your ass early or go in after work, after all that's what you want teachers to do.

The schools are shut for health and safety reasons and if teachers opened same & a kid was injured then they would be sued - a defense of " we had a crack team of teachers in , well versed in the art of gritting and snow displacement working to ensure health & safety regulations were adhered to " would be laughed out of court.

As for the teachers not working well such is life , we can't really allow for bad weather - indeed they may be on the lash in town downing large bottles and balls of malt or they may be home doing school work - neither you or I know, do we ?

Yeah by the sound of it you're probably one or if not a Civil servant and with attitude like yours it's no wonder the country is in the state it's in.

Funny how a lot of the primary schools were open today. The Presentation had designated routes for access and fair dues to them for getting the school open.

Guarantee if you go out to casualty now you'll see a fair amount of kids out there after getting hurt while out playing today and probably a fair few teachers after falling off ladders while catching up on the DIY at home.

Yeah by the sound of it you're probably one or if not a Civil servant and with attitude like yours it's no wonder the country is in the state it's in.

Funny how a lot of the primary schools were open today. The Presentation had designated routes for access and fair dues to them for getting the school open.

Guarantee if you go out to casualty now you'll see a fair amount of kids out there after getting hurt while out playing today and probably a fair few teachers after falling off ladders while catching up on the DIY at home.

Wrong again , never wanted to be a teacher , never was a teacher , never will be a teacher , have no family who are teachers- my whole workinglife has been spent in the Private Sector.

Just accept it , the schools were closed on health & safety grounds and if the teachers opened the schools they would be breaking the law - is that what you're advocating ?

What really seems to be bugging you is that the teachers are not working but at home doing whatever they want whether it be work related or not - who know's what they're doing or indeed whose business is it anyway ?

The weather has prevented them attending their place of work - live with it !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 711 ✭✭✭snuggles09

My girls go to the Mercy primary, which is open tomorrow, but I can't even get out of our estate, the roads are that bad.

I can't take the chance bringing the car out. Tried to go to the local shop earlier and nearly went into the wall opposite my house.

Hate that they'll now be marked as absent, as they had a 100% attendance record up till now, but there's no way I'm gonna risk it until I know the road here is safe enough to drive on.

i left mine out from the Mercy today as the Secondary was closed and the Play School is closed all week. They have the same entrance! Oznam Street is still very bad..was talking to a friend who had to abandon her car at the end of it yesterday..she said she can't get down the hill to get to the shop..when i heard that there was no way i was chancing it..i'd be surprised if anyone was in there today..the last time we had snow it wasn't as bad and i did send mine in but their teachers were absent and only a handful in the class so wasn't breaking my brains this time

Think ill chance it in the morning if we get no snow overnight..it's not so much the hazard of driving in the morning it's the 3 trips ill have to make to pick them all up when we are due snow showers and freezing temperatures..if I could walk them I would but we're too ar away..hard to know what to do..i feel guilty for having them out (even though they aren't missing anything) but i don't like it going down as a day out against them but on the other hand is there any point sending them in if theres a) no one there to teach them or b) not enough in the class to warrant their teacher teaching them anything new:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭Yes Boss

Surely, teachers will have to make up for the time lost due to the snow. There contact hours with children are one of the lowest in Europe!!

Wrong again , never wanted to be a teacher , never was a teacher , never will be a teacher , have no family who are teachers- my whole workinglife has been spent in the Private Sector.

Just accept it , the schools were closed on health & safety grounds and if the teachers opened the schools they would be breaking the law - is that what you're advocating ?

What really seems to be bugging you is that the teachers are not working but at home doing whatever they want whether it be work related or not - who know's what they're doing or indeed whose business is it anyway ?

The weather has prevented them attending their place of work - live with it !

Really, but the rest of us managed to get there and a lot of us are working in areas more dangerous than a school yard.

A few schools did open yesterday and had designated routes for the pupils.So how did they manage to do it?

We all knew this cold snap was coming and as usual we are faced with this problem.

There are 3 times in the school day that cause the problems i.e. Morning, lunch and end time.

Lunchtime they can be kept in the class.

So that leaves getting to and from the school - and as I've stated elsewhere the schools that opened had all the access route clearly stated.

Ok maybe the teachers shouldn't do this but every school has at least one caretaker and with a bit of help could get this sorted.

All that leaves within the school is supervision and I'm sure that falls under the teachers brief or dont they do that either?.

I agree that there is problems with the Estates and footpaths but it's hard to believe that four days after we had the 2"-3" of snow that people have still not cleared the paths outside their house or businesses.

In the US it is the responsibilty of the property owner to clear outside their premises.

Why should it be any different here. We all have civic responsibilty and a bit of common sense should be used.

The way the weather has been for the past few years it seems that this type of weather will be the norm so do we shut the schools everytime we get a bit of snow?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

[/B]

In the US it is the responsibilty of the property owner to clear outside their premises.

Why should it be any different here. We all have civic responsibilty and a bit of common sense should be used.

The way the weather has been for the past few years it seems that this type of weather will be the norm so do we shut the schools everytime we get a bit of snow?

Cos the law makes you liable for injury if you interfere with the status-quo and someone slips. This issue came up last winter and as per usual the gubberment promised to change the law but did not.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭araic88

Yes Boss wrote: »
    Surely, teachers will have to make up for the time lost due to the snow. There contact hours with children are one of the lowest in Europe!!

Clearly :cool:
    Last year I believe it was left to the discretion of the Board of Management whether or not to make up lost days due to the big freeze, it's hard to know what'll happen this year though if it's already been so bad in November!

[/B]

Really, but the rest of us managed to get there and a lot of us are working in areas more dangerous than a school yard.

A few schools did open yesterday and had designated routes for the pupils.So how did they manage to do it?

We all knew this cold snap was coming and as usual we are faced with this problem.

There are 3 times in the school day that cause the problems i.e. Morning, lunch and end time.

Lunchtime they can be kept in the class.

So that leaves getting to and from the school - and as I've stated elsewhere the schools that opened had all the access route clearly stated.

Ok maybe the teachers shouldn't do this but every school has at least one caretaker and with a bit of help could get this sorted.

All that leaves within the school is supervision and I'm sure that falls under the teachers brief or dont they do that either?.

I agree that there is problems with the Estates and footpaths but it's hard to believe that four days after we had the 2"-3" of snow that people have still not cleared the paths outside their house or businesses.

School authories take the decision to close schools on health and safety grounds and/or because of travel difficulties encountered by pupils or staff.

Some schools are on major routes which do not pose the same problems as those for schools on secondary routes and as such are the first to re-open.

I'm glad to see you accept that clearing snow and gritting schoolyards is not in a teacher's job description !

Given the above does it really matter how teachers spend their time away from schools that they are banned by regulations from attending ?

And the forecast is for the weather to get worse !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭Yes Boss

araic88 wrote: »
    Clearly :cool:
    Last year I believe it was left to the discretion of the Board of Management whether or not to make up lost days due to the big freeze, it's hard to know what'll happen this year though if it's already been so bad in November!

Thanks for the correction (There - Their). I must have missed that day in school - probably snowing ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭araic88

Yes Boss wrote: »
    Thanks for the correction (There - Their). I must have missed that day in school - probably snowing ;)

And sure you turned out alright :p

I was teaching in a school today that opened but only had about 30-40% attendance! Maybe "teaching" is a slight overstatement then ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,653 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Waterford College Of Further Education is open tomorrow from 9.15am. Highly doubt it will be open now looking out at the snow . Im not risking my body to go to a half empty class room lol. Id say all schools wont be open till maybe next monday/tuesday.

Cant beat a bit of snow though lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

mike65 wrote: »
    Cos the law makes you liable for injury if you interfere with the status-quo and someone slips. This issue came up last winter and as per usual the gubberment promised to change the law but did not.

Exactly - I think this is the difference between nonfeasance and misfeasance (same argument crops up when discussing fixing potholes) regarding pavements etc. If you do nothing to clear the ice from the public property in front of your shop and someone slips, they can't sue you. If you take any action, such as putting salt down and somebody injures themselves they can then sue you. Same with clearing other people's front steps, etc. To protect yourself you should only take action within your own boundary.

I love St. John of God's status - "will be open weather permitting" well duh!

Funny that the children are not allowed in school for "health and safety reasons" yet many by us spent the day sliding down a very steep hill on a teatray!

SSE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 711 ✭✭✭snuggles09

Himself just went to the shop there and took a spin down to Smyths to get a video game..I'm in Johns Park and the road as your passing hte dog track, on the way to Urseline he said he could barely get up it..the road looks fine but there were cars skeeting on it and he had to drive really slowly both ways..also the roundabout on the way into Urseline Crescent he said was very bad to get around..cant see the Urseline being open tomorrow if it keeps snowing as it is and we get those low temperatures that they are predicting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

That sounds like an essential journey anyway :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

Abbey Community College is closed Wed. Notice came through from the school earlier tonight. Our daughter is thrilled and we get to have a sleep in, result.

Advertisement