Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

School closures so far (tuesday..)

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

De La Salle College is closed tomorrow and if the weather continues as it is it'll probably be closed for the rest of the week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 milkymoo24

Do ye actually realize that the secondary roads in Waterford City are lethal at this time, hence accidents. I just spoke to a friend of mine who destroyed his car and almost died tonight because he was made go to work... Health and safety in so important as this time because the roads are lethal, its all well and good collecting your kids early and getting home while its still bright, many teachers leave later, and live in rural areas and I'm sorry but no job pays enough for them to risk their lives over. And fyi, I'm working in the public sector (for the state as stated by one user), and I've been given time off because of the 'Harsh conditions' and believe me I'm not sat on my ass doin nothing, we all have work to catch up on. whether it be in the office or not. Should I get off my ass after my wages being butchered this year and use a shovel and brush to clean up the ice???
    Suggest the people moaning get up off THEIR asses, walk the footpaths for a few minutes instead of sitting on them moaning on this and come back to us when they realise how dangerous walking them actually is.....

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

milkymoo24 wrote: »
    Do ye actually realize that the secondary roads in Waterford City are lethal at this time, hence accidents. I just spoke to a friend of mine who destroyed his car and almost died tonight because he was made go to work... Health and safety in so important as this time because the roads are lethal, its all well and good collecting your kids early and getting home while its still bright, many teachers leave later, and live in rural areas and I'm sorry but no job pays enough for them to risk their lives over. And fyi, I'm working in the public sector (for the state as stated by one user), and I've been given time off because of the 'Harsh conditions' and believe me I'm not sat on my ass doin nothing, we all have work to catch up on. whether it be in the office or not. Should I get off my ass after my wages being butchered this year and use a shovel and brush to clean up the ice???
    Suggest the people moaning get up off THEIR asses, walk the footpaths for a few minutes instead of sitting on them moaning on this and come back to us when they realise how dangerous walking them actually is.....

Well, I've just arrived in work after walking in - took me an hour - and guess what everybody else is in. I'd love to be given the time off because of the harsh conditions and get paid for it but I work in the private sector in a business that has been hit hardest in this recession. We've all had our wages butchered as well so dont go on about having to make sacrifices.

Many of the private sector also live in rural areas but the majority of them have managed to get in.

It's always the same in this country the poor public sector getting a hard time.

Dont get me wrong there is no way I think that the schools should be open today or tomorrow for that reason.

The point I'm making is that most schools were closed yesterday (a few did open). It hadn't snowed since Saturday. Conditions had improved on Monday and I dont see why the school grounds couldn't have been cleared to make them safe - a lot of the primary schools were able to open.

What was the problem with getting some of the transistion year students in to help out - they do tasks throughhout the year that have health and safety issues - supervise them in the art of sweeping and using a wheelbarrow and then get the school ready.

Of course people are saying that the roads in their estates were unsafe which is a point but the buses were running.

As someone said to me today you could be damn sure if they won the Lotto and were told they had half an hour to collect they wouldn't be long on finding a way.

It'll be interseting to see how many schools work in the days when things improve to catch up on the lost time - if last year is anything to go by probably none.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Just checked wlrfm.com and the Mercy primary is one of the only schools that doesn't seem to be on the list as closed!

The secondary, pre-school and adult education centre in Oznam St. are all closed, so why on earth are they not closing???

At this rate, my daughters will be marked down as 4 days absent, if they don't attend this week :(

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭dashboard_hula

@jimbojazz

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-11875885

Article on why schools close when other businesses stay open.

Ireland and the UK have similar health and safety laws - they may be a pain in the backside, but they're there and they have to be followed.

With the greatest respect, there are between 20 and 30 people where I work unable to get in today because the road conditions are so bad - they have been told to sit tight and not even attempt to get to work until they're confident driving. Some of these people are young men/women in their first car barely after passing the driving test - there's no way they should be on the road. And this is a private sector company. So it's not all black and white.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭deise blue

jimbojazz wrote: »
    Well, I've just arrived in work after walking in - took me an hour - and guess what everybody else is in. I'd love to be given the time off because of the harsh conditions and get paid for it but I work in the private sector in a business that has been hit hardest in this recession. We've all had our wages butchered as well so dont go on about having to make sacrifices.

Many of the private sector also live in rural areas but the majority of them have managed to get in.

It's always the same in this country the poor public sector getting a hard time.

Dont get me wrong there is no way I think that the schools should be open today or tomorrow for that reason.

The point I'm making is that most schools were closed yesterday (a few did open). It hadn't snowed since Saturday. Conditions had improved on Monday and I dont see why the school grounds couldn't have been cleared to make them safe - a lot of the primary schools were able to open.

What was the problem with getting some of the transistion year students in to help out - they do tasks throughhout the year that have health and safety issues - supervise them in the art of sweeping and using a wheelbarrow and then get the school ready.

Of course people are saying that the roads in their estates were unsafe which is a point but the buses were running.

As someone said to me today you could be damn sure if they won the Lotto and were told they had half an hour to collect they wouldn't be long on finding a way.

It'll be interseting to see how many schools work in the days when things improve to catch up on the lost time - if last year is anything to go by probably none.

You really won't accept it , will you ?

School authorities have closed schools on health and safety grounds and because of dangerous travel conditions for pupils , parents and staff.

Gardai have advised that only essential journeys be undertaken.

Neither teachers , transition year students or parents are allowed or equipped to clear school areas to acceptable health & safety standards and more importantly as already pointed out such action leaves schools open to legal action.

What really grinds your gears is the fact that teachers are unable to work and are getting paid for it - but hey that's life !

As to whether time is made up or not is a logistical nightmare but I'm sure every effort will be made.

jimbojazz

Nobody said it was a competition on which sector works the hardest, let me just make this clear, I'm a CE worker in the public sector which means I DONT get paid if I'm not there, so I'm as inconvenienced as any 'hard working' private sector worker. Its pretty ignorant for you to even think that I'm some whinny civil servant just because I have a point to make about the safety of the roads. Lets just clear that up now... I'm actually a mature student studying and working so I'm struggling as much as anyone of ye. And I've been in school Monday morning and the footpaths are treacherous, Thats coming directly from a Student who has walked on them.
    Also, as someone who works with state employees I can vouch that 99% of them work equally as hard as ye do and its unfair to blame people who are working in the public service for your anger against the government's f*%k ups. I thought the issue was the bad weather and the dangerous roads! Not bashing the public service workers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 711 ✭✭✭snuggles09

Just checked wlrfm.com and the Mercy primary is one of the only schools that doesn't seem to be on the list as closed!

The secondary, pre-school and adult education centre in Oznam St. are all closed, so why on earth are they not closing???

At this rate, my daughters will be marked down as 4 days absent, if they don't attend this week :(

my daughters are in the mercy primary and we got a text at 10.30pm last night to say that the school is closed today and tomorrow and they will review it for Friday so the mercy primary is definitley closed:) I'd say WLR just forgot to update it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭scout353

CBS Tramore Sec school closed Tomorrow (THursday) so I guess that Stella Maris wil be as well!

Doubt if we'll see them open Friday either!

De La Salle College closed tomorrow and Friday, will review weather situation on Sunday.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Heyyopauly

Is Ballygunner Ns Open tomorrow?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Hi lads,

as interesting a debate as it is the public v private thing is starting to derail the thread, please keep it on topic. thanks :)

That was my intention to begin with...

Waterford College of Further Education in closed again tomorrow, looking likely for Friday too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭scout353

Just got text to say CBS Tramore Secondary closed tomorrow Friday!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 711 ✭✭✭snuggles09

Mercy Primary is closed tomorrow. I got a text

De La Salle College is closed tomorrow but should be re-opening on Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭araic88

deisemum wrote: »
    De La Salle College is closed tomorrow but should be re-opening on Tuesday.

Because of the weather? I thought all schools would be re-opening

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Kilmactomas secondary is closed too so a few schools seem to be really waiting it out.

• Advertisement
Advertisement