Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Latest Building Regulations

Options
  • 29-11-2010 5:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

hi, i have just started a new self build after recieving planning permission in October. Can someone point me in the direction and explain in basic terms the things I need to look out for in the latest building regulations released this year. For example, is there a minimum floor insulation thickness required, i.e. 125mm Insulation and so on for walls, attic. I know everything now is worked off u-value's but is there an easier reference guide?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

You should consult with the person who prepared your planning application. However you can purchase the home builders guide prepared by Homebond from Easons or directly from Homebond.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,644 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

hi, i have just started a new self build after recieving planning permission in October. Can someone point me in the direction and explain in basic terms the things I need to look out for in the latest building regulations released this year. For example, is there a minimum floor insulation thickness required, i.e. 125mm Insulation and so on for walls, attic. I know everything now is worked off u-value's but is there an easier reference guide?

you need to consult a professional

the ONLY way you can confirm that your build complies with building regulations is to put the design and specification through a piece of software called DEAP (dwelling energy assessment procedure).

most professional domestic architects, technciians and engineers will know how to do this.

If you have CAD drawings a number of companies like Kingspan will design your insulation requirements free of charge.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,644 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    If you have CAD drawings a number of companies like Kingspan will design your insulation requirements free of charge.

yeah, and they will specify the most expensive version of their products...

its a good way to get a quick spec, but not to get best bang for buck...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

To the best of my Knowledge the 2010 regs are still out for consultation.
    I.E. Does not yet apply.

I agree with Syd OP.

It really does work off U-value.
    Because a certain thickness of a material can often have a different u-value to the same thickness of another.

You should really get someone who works in the area to help you out.

• Advertisement

You are still advised to use the BRegs as a minimum standard and where feasible invest as much of your budget on on square footage but on insulation and energy efficiency. Oil and energy costs are only going upwards. You will save money in the long run.

Advertisement