Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reliability of UPC broadband in Limerick?

• 29-11-2010 5:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

I've used Eircom in the Castletroy area of Limerick for many years and have never had any unreliability or disconnections problem.
    However, I'm very tempted to try UPC's 30 Mbps service which is so much faster than Eircom's max of 8 Mbps in this region.
    I see from other threads on UPC that there are issues with UPC's Cisco router and it seems also that download rates are excessively variable.
    Should I move to UPC or stick with Eircoms slower but very reliable service?
    Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭DemoniK

pfxh wrote: »
    I've used Eircom in the Castletroy area of Limerick for many years and have never had any unreliability or disconnections problem.
    However, I'm very tempted to try UPC's 30 Mbps service which is so much faster than Eircom's max of 8 Mbps in this region.
    I see from other threads on UPC that there are issues with UPC's Cisco router and it seems also that download rates are excessively variable.
    Should I move to UPC or stick with Eircoms slower but very reliable service?
    Thanks

i find UPC excellent in Limerick (am in Raheen).

• Registered Users Posts: 30 pfxh

DemoniK wrote: »
    i find UPC excellent in Limerick (am in Raheen).
    Thanks for your reply.
    However, I'm puzzled that there is a web site logging UPC down time which lead me to believe it was not a reliable service.
    Can I ask do you use the Cisco router which (from this forum) seems to have a very bad reputation?
    Also, how close is the measured D/L rate to the advertised 30 Mbps? With Eircom, I pay for 8 Mbps and get a very consistent measured 6.9 Mbps, which I would consider pretty good.
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

However, I'm puzzled that there is a web site logging UPC down time which lead me to believe it was not a reliable service.

One person with a personal grudge doesn't make it a bad service. Overall, it's probably the best value you can get. Though, if there's nothing wrong with what you have now, and you're happy with it, you might not want to change too quickly.

Thanks for your reply.
    As stated above - someone with a grudge. Have a look at the site anyway - not one mention of limerick in the 5 entries it does have since it was set up 3 days ago by said disgruntled customer...
    Can I ask do you use the Cisco router which (from this forum) seems to have a very bad reputation?
    You can ask :)
    And I don't. I needed the phone, and had a lot of issues with the router, so managed to get my hands on the SA EPC2203 modem and used my own router. Works a charm. If you're ordering new insist on just getting the modem and that you have your own router. When I ordered I was told I'd get the modem and netgear router only to get the hunk-a-junk.
    Also, how close is the measured D/L rate to the advertised 30 Mbps? With Eircom, I pay for 8 Mbps and get a very consistent measured 6.9 Mbps, which I would consider pretty good.
    I get 100% down and up... am sure I had a pic somewhere before, but was actually getting 31Mbps down and 3.2Mbps up one day (will see if I can dig it out) :)
    Thanks
    you're welcome.

jor el wrote: »
    Though, if there's nothing wrong with what you have now, and you're happy with it, you might not want to change too quickly.
    @jor el
    Thanks for your reply.
    Well, yes, there's nothing wrong with Eircom as regards its reliability. But, UPC is more than FOUR times faster and a little cheaper.
    What I'm confused about is whether or not UPC has the same level of RELIABILITY as Eircom, is the HARDWARE as good (e.g the router) and how close to the advertised DOWNLOAD rate (30 Mbps) is the measured value?

• Advertisement

DemoniK wrote: »
    had a lot of issues with the router, so managed to get my hands on the SA EPC2203 modem and used my own router. Works a charm. If you're ordering new insist on just getting the modem and that you have your own router. When I ordered I was told I'd get the modem and netgear router only to get the hunk-a-junk.
    I get 100% down and up... am sure I had a pic somewhere before, but was actually getting 31Mbps down and 3.2Mbps up one day (will see if I can dig it out) :)
    @DemoniK
    Thanks for your comprehensive and very useful reply.
    So, UPC seems great as long as I use another router.
    That's amazing that the DL and UL rates can be even HIGHER than advertised.
    Best wishes

That's amazing that the DL and UL rates can be even HIGHER than advertised.
    Am sure it's a bug in the router software I had..

Don't get me wrong though - I would prefer the EPC2425 over a Netopia router anyday.. It has issues though just like any cheap-ass router, but at least most of it works as advertised....
    I had my own router and thus didn't want to deal with the issues.

Sold my Dlink DGL-4500 (now with a netgear WNDR-3700) to a friend who is also on UPC and he's had much better gaming since. He uses the EPC as a modem which is ok as he doesn't require the phone lines.

Advertisement