Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recession buster mobile

Options
  • 29-11-2010 5:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

I want to buy a mobile that makes & takes calls & texts

Using the guidelines in the sticky these are my requirements;
    I do not need a camera, gps, radio, blood pressure monitor or geiger counter - but bluetooth would be nice
    Just plain keypad and clear screen - no touchscreen, slider or flip
    No internet connection needed
    Am currently on vodafone and would like to stay unless strong reason to change
    Flexible on price but obviously lower end reflecting the restricted features

I appreciate the irony in using an internet forum to reach out to other likeminded luddites but the shop assistants aren't interested.

Any and all suggestions are welcome?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭bd250110

I would go for the Nokia 2330. It's €39.99 on Voda pre-pay. Comes with free credit too, not sure how much.

At that price, it's a great phone. It's not fancy but will do all you ask. It has bluetooth, FM radio and a great battery life. There is a VGA camera with video capture too. It's a great phone for the basics with a nice clear screen and a good keypad.

Hope this helps,

Brian.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Ye I like the 2330 classic. Its well built. The one downside it has, its not a 3G handset, this shouldn't be a problem with vodafone though, they have very good gsm coverage.

You can pick it up cheap, and sim free if you want?

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭nazoil

Davy wrote: »
    Ye I like the 2330 classic. Its well built. The one downside it has, its not a 3G handset, this shouldn't be a problem with vodafone though, they have very good gsm coverage.

You can pick it up cheap, and sim free if you want?

The OP does not need internet connection. Are there any circumstances where there is a need for 3G to make calls and texts?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

nazoil wrote: »
    The OP does not need internet connection. Are there any circumstances where there is a need for 3G to make calls and texts?
    Well 3G coverage can sometimes exist in areas that there's no GSM to fall back on, and in those cases it's essential or you'll have no coverage.

In my house for example I have full coverage all the time, but people who visit that don't have 3G handsets haven't a single bar of network.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Link to cheap sim free option for the 2330. Think you can add €5 for delivery on top of this price, still great price though. If you want to switch from Vodafone in the near future you will be able to do so without any hassle

http://www.maxroam.com/Shop/Product/Detail.aspx?ProductId=346&cur=EUR

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭KrisW

WMitty wrote: »
    I want to buy a mobile that makes & takes calls & texts

Using the guidelines in the sticky these are my requirements;
    I do not need a camera, gps, radio, blood pressure monitor or geiger counter - but bluetooth would be nice
    Just plain keypad and clear screen - no touchscreen, slider or flip
    No internet connection needed
    Am currently on vodafone and would like to stay unless strong reason to change
    Flexible on price but obviously lower end reflecting the restricted features

I appreciate the irony in using an internet forum to reach out to other likeminded luddites but the shop assistants aren't interested.

Any and all suggestions are welcome?

Thanks in advance

€29 Nokia 1800 http://www.vodafone.ie/df/shop/ProductDetails.shtml?handsetselected=478045&offerSelected=prepayupgrade&action=view

Add €10, get an unlocked handset.
    €39 Nokia 1661. http://www.expansys.ie/nokia-1661-uk-black-176386/

.. or stay with Voda and get Bluetooth, and a couple of extra features and longer battery.
    €39 Nokia 2330 [url] http://www.vodafone.ie/df/shop/ProductDetails.shtml?handsetselected=332035&offerSelected=prepayupgrade&action=view[/url]

I have a 2220 as a back-up phone, and it's very solid - an excellent phone, for less than Apple will ask you to pay for an iPhone charger.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 WMitty

Thank you everyone

With the technalities out of the way I now know what to concentrate on in the shop for look and feel

Much appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 7,253 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Stick to Nokia anyway, sometimes you will see something else that looks much nicer, but imo budget phones by Nokia have been the best around for 15 years almost at this stage

Advertisement