Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Walking Conditions in City Centre

Options
  • 29-11-2010 5:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I walk from Leeson St to the Charlemount Luas every morning along the canal. This morning because of the icy conditions I went via Ranelagh instead, but the footpaths are still treacherous.

Does anyone know if they have salted the canal walk, or is nowhere safe??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

i think it's safe to assume that nowhere is safe!

I've seen salt in 2 places, the footpath immediately outside the nationl maternity hospital (and only a short stretch at that), and around the corner outside an old folks appartment complex. Many of the main city streets are unsalted, never mind footpaths! I'm watching RTE news like a hawke waiting for the next guy to ba caught falling :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,216 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

All the injuries last year from falling pedestrians and the penny didn't drop with the City Council about maybe gritting the paths.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

They've been out breaking the ice but it makes little difference - they were still trying to clear it on O'Connell Street this morning. Best bet I find is to buy wellies with good grips. Worked wonders last year. They gritted part of Talbot Street - near where Independent News & Media are based - pure coincidence I'm sure!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 antobrien32

Does anyone know what the area around butt bridge and beresford place was like today??? I know it was lethal in Jan with the snow and ice we had then just wondering if it's any better this time around.
    :):confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Walking around Inchicore yesterday, around Donore Ave/Fatima, Tallaght, Grafton St and a good part more today and every path is lethal, it's either slippy ice or that poxy slush that's a good bit slippy.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Haven't slipped yet, one or two close calls though

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Walk on the roads!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

After last winter's icy spell when I ended up on my backside several times I acquired a pair of Snow & Ice Cleats (like these) which are basically anti-slip rubber attachments for the soles of your shoes which have spikes and wires on the underside that mean you can walk perfectly normally in the ice and snow!

I would recommend them to anyone!

There are different versions for different type shoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭bassey

In fairness now I saw a heap of council workers clearing ice from the paths on Thomas St at about 9 this morning

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

walked from holles street to parnell street tonight and the paths were fine, a bit slushy but still managed to walk it in the usual 20 mins

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭whatnext

This wont be an option for everyone but.....

Golf shoes are great on the foot paths. I walk from the East Wall to Fitzwilliam Sq and no slips, not ever a close call:D so far

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

whatnext wrote: »
    This wont be an option for everyone but.....

Golf shoes are great on the foot paths. I walk from the East Wall to Fitzwilliam Sq and no slips, not ever a close call:D so far

Famous last words!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭cute_cow

Its mostly just sluhy and wet around Harcourt, but they are still very slippy, had a couple of near misses at lunch today.
    Some business have cleared the snow and slush from the front of the offices/shops, but its still crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

I can't believe the council haven bothered salting or gritting around College Green. And avoid the White Tiles on grafton street at your peril! They're usually slick when raining but are worse with the sleet and ice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

just seen a couple (well 4) council guys down our street with 2 almost empty wheelbarrows of grit. I can only imagine they're looking for blackspots as they just did a spot on the corner and moved on.

[edit: that should be four work people. one was a chick! :pac: ]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

I abandoned the bicycle this morning and walked from Crumlin to Phibsboro - paths were fine (with the exception of Winetavern Street which is so steep it's always going to be tricky in ice or snow). I was wearing fancy hiking boots so I had a slight advantage but I saw no trips or spills over the course of the hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭DecentBee

You walked from Crumlin to Phibsboro? In this weather!?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

DecentBee wrote: »
    You walked from Crumlin to Phibsboro? In this weather!?

Ha ha, yep! I had contemplated getting the 121 but I like the fresh air in the mornings. I reckon I'll be getting the bus home though!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Town this evening was pretty bad imo. Very slushy and slippy. I fell!

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭cute_cow

agree on this.

The footpaths are a disgrace IMO. People slipping and sliding as the slush started to freeze about 5.30. When it freezes over tonight, will be impossible to walk on.

Think all pedestrians need to walk on the streets, making our point to clear the fupping footpaths!!! :mad::mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

There is thousands of people a day walking on some footpaths and they aren't gritted, I don't know why all attention seems to be on the roads. Someone with a wheelbarrow full of sand with a few holes in it could grit paths through the city centre.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Slush is starting to freeze now - nasty stuff. Be careful out there folks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭NickDrake

Any city in europe would have the busy footpath cleared in the city centre.

The Dublin city council are a joke. In Europe the workers would be up at 6am clearing everything and getting ready for the day ahead.

In Ireland the lazy council workers start at around 10am and do nothing. The civil service is a joke in this country and this really shows how bad it is.

Get them up a 6.am. If they don't then there are plenty on the dole who will do it for the half the money these clowns get.

Also this is another example of how Unions have wrecked this country. Even if a suggestion to get these clowns to work at 6.am, the Unions would have them, out on strike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭spaceylou

As I was on my way into town this morning on the LUAS (Point to city direction) there was guys clearning paths and gritting them in various spots in IFSC, especially around Mayor Square.

Once I was beyond the IFSC however there didn't seem to be any evidence of other gritting or clearing of paths, except for the half arsed attempt on o'connell street. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Lollymcd

spaceylou wrote: »
    As I was on my way into town this morning on the LUAS (Point to city direction) there was guys clearning paths and gritting them in various spots in IFSC, especially around Mayor Square.

Once I was beyond the IFSC however there didn't seem to be any evidence of other gritting or clearing of paths, except for the half arsed attempt on o'connell street. :rolleyes:

The IFSC area has been pretty well gritted the last few days but I don't think it's DCC who are doing it, seems to be a private firm or maybe DDA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Lollymcd wrote: »
    The IFSC area has been pretty well gritted the last few days but I don't think it's DCC who are doing it, seems to be a private firm or maybe DDA.

Isn't the IFSC managed by a private company? They have their own security lads on Segways that come around and tell you to stop taking photos sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Unshelved

Really? I was in Munich at the weekend, and while some pathways were gritted, the vast majority in the city centre weren't, and were very slippery. It's easy to slag off the Corpo but they're doing their best (especially in the light of the public service recruitment moratorium - there is just less staff there). A lot more of the city centre was gritted this morning, including along Nassau St (but only along the Trinity side for some reason).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

http://www.yaktrax.co.uk/yaktrax-shop

I wore these to the shop there now and they seemed to work very well. I was walking on snow and slush and a bit of packed snow/ice and no slips at all. Felt like I had perfect traction at all times. The downsides are having to take them off before going into shops. They're treacherous on tiles, marble, wood etc.

Although it only took me about 2 mins max to put them on outside the shop so it wasn't that long.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭ollaetta

NickDrake wrote: »

The Dublin city council are a joke. In Europe the workers would be up at 6am clearing everything and getting ready for the day ahead.

In Ireland the lazy council workers start at around 10am and do nothing. The civil service is a joke in this country and this really shows how bad it is.

Get them up a 6.am. If they don't then there are plenty on the dole who will do it for the half the money these clowns get.

Also this is another example of how Unions have wrecked this country. Even if a suggestion to get these clowns to work at 6.am, the Unions would have them, out on strike.

Oh how easy it is to make lazy uninformed generalisations. For the last few days they've had shifts out almost round the clock concentrating on the worst spots. No Council anywhere has the resources to cover every metre of footpath and road and don't forget that in many cities the responsibility for clearing footpaths lies with the owners of adjoining properties.

http://www.dublincity.ie/RoadsandTraffic/RoadMaintenance/Pages/RequestRoadSalting.aspx

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

just walked from merrion square to finglas, the paths were fine covered in snow but fine to walk on

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement