Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Walking Conditions in City Centre

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

The paths in the city centre are worse than those in the suburbs as they've turned into a mucky slush atop an icy surface. Out in Clontarf the paths are compacted snow which has a good bit of traction.
    I'm not sure it's limited to this city but Dublin often seems to leave pedestrians at the very bottom of any of its priorities when it comes to letting them move around the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭trevorku

Watch when you turn that corner at the beginning of Grafton Street where all the buses fly by(except for tonight obviously), you can easily slip and fall on your snot. I would love to get some Wellies but me cant find any in Dublin for size 13 feet :(

They have fecked sand in few area, but after snowfall is the easiest to walk on, about lunchtime Grafton Street was a nightmare, the sludge was starting to turn to water and was so much icey patches on the road.

Me thinks I may not be able to get to work in the morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,727 ✭✭✭reallyrose

ollaetta wrote: »
    For the last few days they've had shifts out almost round the clock concentrating on the worst spots.

+1 to this. I was walking to work before 8 this morning and I passed a City worker sweeping and gritting paths around Stephen's Green. A cheery bloke too! (Far too cheery for that type of weather!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭NickDrake

Unshelved wrote: »
    Really? I was in Munich at the weekend, and while some pathways were gritted, the vast majority in the city centre weren't, and were very slippery. It's easy to slag off the Corpo but they're doing their best (especially in the light of the public service recruitment moratorium - there is just less staff there). A lot more of the city centre was gritted this morning, including along Nassau St (but only along the Trinity side for some reason).

They are not doing their best. Get up and 6.am like they do in Europe and get the roads sorted.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

NickDrake wrote: »
    They are not doing their best. Get up and 6.am like they do in Europe and get the roads sorted.

Well if they're doing such a bad job, get out there yourself and show them how! Your posts seem to indicate an in-depth knowledge of the workings of the public service, so you must be the man for the job. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Gaspode wrote: »
    Well if they're doing such a bad job, get out there yourself and show them how! Your posts seem to indicate an in-depth knowledge of the workings of the public service, so you must be the man for the job. :rolleyes:

In depth knowledge of the public service?? I know what everyoner knows. They are lazy and will not work a minute more than they are paid to.

They will not work extra when required and a strike will be called for if anything changes.

Everyone knows this. Even the workers themselves.

It is easily visible they are doing a bad job. It is not just me who is saying it. The whole country is.

The sooner the IMF sorts out this lot the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

lol! you clearly know everything there is to know. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Yup because the IMF came in to organise grit trucks and street salting.

That's exactly what they came in for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

I saw two Council guys out on Bolton Street this morning digging down to the footpath through all the compacted ice. They were doing a great job clearing a walkway. Fiar play. It's not an easy job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

reallyrose wrote: »
    +1 to this. I was walking to work before 8 this morning and I passed a City worker sweeping and gritting paths around Stephen's Green. A cheery bloke too! (Far too cheery for that type of weather!)

Stephen's Green closed today. Non snow related but wish they would cut down all the overhanging branches in there and around the perimeter.

Nick Drake you know nothing.

• Advertisement

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Yup because the IMF came in to organise grit trucks and street salting.

That's exactly what they came in for.

I was referring to sorting out the work ethic in the civil service. Re read my post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Council staff are not civil service

And they are doing a fine job near me, out early every morning. Clearing the footpaths with yardbrushes today, tiring work
    Fair play

And as stated before, realy it's the shop owners who were supposed to do this
    will not work a minute more than they are paid to

You chip in and help since you don't mind working for free

• Registered Users Posts: 10,322 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

In depth knowledge of the public service?? I know what everyoner knows. They are lazy and will not work a minute more than they are paid to.

They will not work extra when required and a strike will be called for if anything changes.

Everyone knows this. Even the workers themselves.

It is easily visible they are doing a bad job. It is not just me who is saying it. The whole country is.

Dont worry, the economic forecast is Bryter, Layter...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

I saw a lot more council workers out clearing paths today, good to see. It was the same last time we had snow, it was a few days in before I saw anyone out on the paths. One person with a shovel can make a big difference by clearing a narrow path.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

So it's been a few days since the last post on this thread and there's been a wee bit of a thaw. Any improvements in the walking conditions in the city centre? Around the Stephens Green, Grafton St, and Dame Street areas?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Bronaaagh

I'd like to know how it is at the moment myself. Heading in to the o2 tomorrow night and not looking forward to braving icey footpaths!

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭cute_cow

Not sure about the city centre, but I just cleared outside my house.

Nothing but chunks of ice, about 1 or 2 inches of the stuff. Spread a load of salt and people passing were saying it makes a huge difference. I reckon if more people did this there would be no/little problem.

Am due back in work on Monday and am dreading walking on the ice. Not even grips on my boots are working now!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

For one, I'm glad to see the freezing cold back this evening: at least you can get some sort of a foothold on the footpaths when they are well below zero. There was a slight thaw as I walked to the train station last night (Friday) and it made the journey hell, absolute hell. Like walking on olive oil slathered across a mirror. For a mile.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Bronaaagh

I'm sure most people found out for themselves this morning, but I was in the city centre (northside) yesterday evening and the paths were fine. Henry St completely clear and O'Connell St, Abbey St etc all had clear paths made for walking.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

couldnt believe it this morning,

o'connell street and parnell street completely clear of ice and snow :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 katie4890

Leeson St is absolutely lethal as is the walk along the canal. Almost fell in this morning! It's only getting worse as the snow melts and freezes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,311 ✭✭✭markpb

Bronaaagh wrote: »
    I'm sure most people found out for themselves this morning, but I was in the city centre (northside) yesterday evening and the paths were fine. Henry St completely clear and O'Connell St, Abbey St etc all had clear paths made for walking.

The council did great work over the weekend, most of the main pedestrian streets in the city centre were perfectly walkable :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17 bad mongo

Yep, to be fair to the Corpo there has been a reasonable amount of work done in critical areas like Westland Row heading to the DART station- god knows the consequences this morning if it hadn't been done, the back of Leinster House/Govt Buildings footpaths also done- they were extremely dangerous in the Janaury freeze.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I thought D'Olier St was still quite bad today, especially for an area with so many bus stops!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

The footpaths along the red line luas from heuston to o2 were treacherous except for city centre paths. Once away from abbey st-Jervis they were incredibly dangerous and showed no signs of being cleared since this weather started last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Lollymcd

Buckingham St, Railway St, Foley St, Beaver St all treacherous.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Aungier Street, Kevin Street were quite bad today, especially crossing over the smaller roads out onto the street, even cars were having difficulty driving on the roads due to the ice,

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭scorpioishere

These people are so lazy, everytime you pass near them they are joking, smoking or standing doing nothing. Ireland obviously is not prepared in a disaster. Lots of countries in Europe sort out the roads apart from Ireland. This country is really a joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Earlsfort terrace and around Stephens Green was still quite bad today. I nearly fell on my face a few times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

The footpaths around the city have become completely trecherous. I was walking around the ifsc today and I almost fell on my face at least 5 times in a 100m walk. It was so bad that I got a taxi home from work because I was so nervous of falling. It was
    even worse today because there was a slight thaw and that made the ice even more slippy as there was no grip at all. I should add that I'm 8months pregnant.

Seriously why the hell haven't Dublin City Council cleared the footpaths. They've been in this state for a week and yet there's no sign of anyone clearing them. Is this an abdication of their responsibilities? We pay substantial commercial rates for our premises in Dublin 1 so is it reasonable to expect that the city council would provide services such as clearing footpaths?

I'm so bloody stressed at the thoughts of getting in and out of work without slipping and hurting myself or worse breaking a limb etc.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement