Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Walking Conditions in City Centre

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Yeah, the foot paths are lethal out there right now. Trying to walk on the ices is next to impossible. No grip at all on it. Will have to take a Taxi into work tomorrow me thinks. Will ask them about setting me up with VPN access, if this sort of thing happens again.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭TheFlamingo

Anybody know what Dame Street and George's Street/Aungier Street are like? Usually walk up Grafton Street which is grand but then the stretch of Kevin Street between there and Aungier Street was lethal today, looking for an alternative route...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Church St, Bolton St & Dorset St were very slippery today. It was like an ice rink genuinely!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

Haddington Road is lethal. I've taken to walking on the road, rather than brave the footpath!

Apparently another storm is brewing for the end of next week too. I hope Dublin CoCo are a bit more on the ball this time and at least attempt to keep the footpaths clear.

The problem is, legally, if they attempt to clear the paths but do a negligent job and someone gets injured they are liable - on the other hand if they do sweet f-all and someone gets hurt, they are free and clear. :o

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

OisinT wrote: »
    The problem is, legally, if they attempt to clear the paths but do a negligent job and someone gets injured they are liable - on the other hand if they do sweet f-all and someone gets hurt, they are free and clear. :o
    Anyone who does sue, after someone's made a good attempt to clean out ice, is utter scum of the lowest order in my opinion. The idea that paths aren't being cleared due to the fear of a lawsuit boils my blood at the sheer selfishness of people.

ixoy wrote: »
    Anyone who does sue, after someone's made a good attempt to clean out ice, is utter scum of the lowest order in my opinion. The idea that paths aren't being cleared due to the fear of a lawsuit boils my blood at the sheer selfishness of people.
    I agree. While I'm not positive that is the reason Dublin CoCo isn't clearing the footpaths, I wouldn't be surprised if that isn't in the back of their minds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Pandoras Twist

To be honest I think it's ridiculous that people expect footpaths to be cleared. Main roads take priority, and there has been enough work in trying to keep them clear. Invest in a decent pair of boots/wellies

The legal issue is the main thing to get annoyed about. Same thing happened last year where everyone was clearing their driveway and then Joe Duffy get's wind that you can be sued and everyone stops.

And the fact that people wait until its turned to compact ice to do anything about it instead of sweeping it while its soft

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

To be honest I think it's ridiculous that people expect footpaths to be cleared. Main roads take priority, and there has been enough work in trying to keep them clear. Invest in a decent pair of boots/wellies
    I think it's far from ridiculous - why not argue that cars should all invest in snow tires and just go slowly?
    Some of these paths have no traction at all - no matter what your footwear is. For some of us, we can manage. Others though - such as elderly or pregnant people - are really risking it and no, it's not always possible to get transport from door to door that prevents having to walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Pandoras Twist I take it you don't have to walk on the footpaths. Ice rink is actually the perfect description and in urban areas managed by a council where people have to get to and from work it's an absolute disgrace.

I feel they are derelict in their duties to the citizens of the city. The AA or whovever say pedestrians shouldn't use the roads. I say f*ck off, get out of your car, use public transport which requires walking on paths and then tell me that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

my path to my front door has been bone dry all the time because i took the initiative to clear the snow off of it after it fell....bone dry! get some cop on!! its free you know!;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,216 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The AA or whovever say pedestrians shouldn't use the roads. I say f*ck off, get out of your car, use public transport which requires walking on paths and then tell me that.

Hear hear.
    The roads are the only safe places to walk in many parts of the city. I'd love to know how many of the pontificators actually have to try use the paths or side streets. The street outside my house is along the lines of a frozen stormy sea now, with the ruts from tyres now frozen into slopes. It has just got worse and worse. Residents cleared paths and then melting snow from roofs made them into ice rinks.

Ice-wise as regards footpaths, today is the worst day so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭scorpioishere

The legal issue is the main thing to get annoyed about. Same thing happened last year where everyone was clearing their driveway and then Joe Duffy get's wind that you can be sued and everyone stops.

And the fact that people wait until its turned to compact ice to do anything about it instead of sweeping it while its soft

People should stop listening to that crap show which is all about moaning and moaning and moaning all the time. Everybody should take the initiative of clearing their footpath outside their house. Where i live almost everybody did and apart from some prick who didn't bother. Lot of pregnant women and old people using footpath so better to think about other people sometimes rather than being selfish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

The footpaths around the maternity hospital there off merrion square are letal. Why the hell does'nt the government get people sitting at home on their backsides claiming the dole to get up a couple of hours a day and clear them for the general public.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭elekid

I saw a guy fall flat on his face coming out of Killester station last night and I nearly fell so many times myself until I started walking on the road. It still doesn't feel very safe but the footpaths just aren't an option anymore.

It was the same when I tried to go to Clontarf Road this morning, though at least there's still snow on the grass along the coast so it's easier to walk on.

There's been no effort to clear the areas around DART stations at all.

The main streets in the city centre are fine as mentioned but beyond that it's still very bad on minor streets.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,311 ✭✭✭markpb

How long is this rubbish going to continue being spread? The AG has already publicly stated that people who clear their footpaths are not responsible for them as long as they don't dump the ice and snow in a way that causes obstructions.
    To be honest I think it's ridiculous that people expect footpaths to be cleared. Main roads take priority

More rubbish. The main roads are clear and have been for several days. Footpaths are just as important, possibly moreso because a low speed vehicular impact is less likely to cause injury than a pedestrian fall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Got caught out by the water on ice today, even dropped my fag! Course the guy behind me having seen me almost fall then take to the road decided I must've had palsy or something because he tried the same place and fell on his arse.

Serious slippage going on today with the mix of liquid and ice.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Made it as far as Aungier street going to college today (from georges st direction) and walked back, conditions both sides of aungier street especially at the cornerstone pub junction there are appauling, its disgraceful that nothing has been done about this section of ice, it appears the county council did an excellent job of georges street but just gave up when they got to aungier street :rolleyes:, I've already fallen in the ice 2 weeks ago and hurt myself so not chancing further damage just went home

Nick

markpb wrote: »
    How long is this rubbish going to continue being spread? The AG has already publicly stated that people who clear their footpaths are not responsible for them as long as they don't dump the ice and snow in a way that causes obstructions.
    Individuals: sort of; the CoCo: no.

Actually, I think calling my post rubbish is a bit rich. You're wrong.

Firstly, to my knowledge, the AG never publicly stated anything. Cowen said that the AG said that 'If a pavement is cleared in a manner which disposes of snow so as not to create any obstacle or hazard, there is no issue of liability'.
    This assumes that the pavement is cleared properly and not negligently. The duty of care is assumed if you go out and start clearing the ice/snow but fail to do so properly (that is, you do a negligent job).

I would be very weary of letting 'advice' like this remain up for the public to take on board.

It basically boils down to this (as we were discussing it in the LD forum last week):
    In tort law you cannot be held liable for damages arising out of inaction.

However, poorly clearing the paths of ice; misfeasance, (e.g. using boiling water to clear snow which then freezes into sheet ice) is an action which may lead directly to damages, and therefore leaves you open to being sued.

Footpaths with any residual ice/snow on them should be avoided this morning/today.

They are lethal!

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Mister men wrote: »
    The footpaths around the maternity hospital there off merrion square are letal. Why the hell does'nt the government get people sitting at home on their backsides claiming the dole to get up a couple of hours a day and clear them for the general public.:mad:

:confused: The footpaths around the hospital have been clear and gritted all week and the paths around Merrion Square were cleared with a digger on Tuesday :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,311 ✭✭✭markpb

Individuals: yes; the CoCo: no.

I'm not sure what you mean, perhaps you could clarify and then provide some evidence. I'll start:
    Property owners who clear snow from footpaths can not be sued if someone falls, it emerged today. The Attorney General advised people could not be held liable if they properly clear pavements, Taoiseach Brian Cowen said. "If a pavement is cleared in a manner which disposes of snow so as not to create any obstacle or hazard, there is no issue of liability," the Taoiseach said.

link

Now if you believe that's wrong, take it up with the AG. If you believe local authorities can be sued, can you prove it?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Well, my bus was diverted on Wednesday night and it was the most terrifying walk home ever.

I was shell shocked when I got in the door.

Where people had cleared outside their houses was lethal.

Pure, clear, terrifying ice, that you couldn’t see and if you put one toe on it you were gone.

I spent the walk home avoiding these cleared areas on the peril of death

markpb wrote: »
    I'm not sure what you mean, perhaps you could clarify and then provide some evidence. I'll start:

link

Now if you believe that's wrong, take it up with the AG. If you believe local authorities can be sued, can you prove it?
    Firstly:
    The Attorney General advised people could not be held liable if they properly clear pavements, Taoiseach Brian Cowen said

Did you not read the rest of my post?

It's basic tort law which the AG has no authority to change.

I'll post the relevant part again:

This assumes that the pavement is cleared properly and not negligently. The duty of care is assumed if you go out and start clearing the ice/snow but fail to do so properly (that is, you do a negligent job).

I would be very weary of letting 'advice' like this remain up for the public to take on board.

It basically boils down to this (as we were discussing it in the LD forum last week):
    In tort law you cannot be held liable for damages arising out of inaction.

However, poorly clearing the paths of ice; misfeasance, (e.g. using boiling water to clear snow which then freezes into sheet ice) is an action which may lead directly to damages, and therefore leaves you open to being sued.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

The council are partly at fault. My mam lives in a senior citizens complex which as you know is the property of the council and they never made an effort to clear any part of it out until yesterday. All the elderly were prisoners inside their homes relying on younger people like myself to bring in supplies.

And you know why it was cleared yesterday? A taxi driver had an elderly disabled woman in the back and the car got stuck on the snow/ice. Gardai were called and voila, a few hours later the inner courtyard was cleared by the council. Its pure laziness and a don't care attitude by the council. The complex was accessible by car in the 2 week period as i drove in myself so that rules out that excuse.

On the paths in the city centre, only a small part of Gardiner st was cleared while the rest of it was not. Had to walk on the road like hundreds of others. It just doesn't make sense why they clear only some sections and yet leave other heavy footfall sections with ice.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭MySelf56

Any idea of foot paths in IFSC area near NCI , exchange place today?

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Lollymcd

MySelf56 wrote: »
    Any idea of foot paths in IFSC area near NCI , exchange place today?

The footpath on the Spar/Insomnia side of the road is clear so you'd get to at least the Luas stop ok. There was a path cleared from the Luas to NCI so I assume that is still there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭marwelie

If you think walking in these conditions is difficult you should try doing it in a wheelchair ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

Footpaths with any residual ice/snow on them should be avoided this morning/today.

They are lethal!

so it seems you condone the walking on roads/slipping and breaking of bones on pavements, that should be responsibly cleaned of snow by each property owner whose boundary is surrounded by any pavement

the council's cannot possibly clean every pavement in this country..

in a previous post you mention tort law...what is tort law? define it in layman's speak and not law speak please...this is not the legal forum

if one clears the pavement around their property within 1-2 hours of the snowfall it is easy and takes 2 minutes of ones life to do properly leaving no ice behind, and makes it easier for every single person to pass by safely till the next snowfall !
    if this was done their would be far less falls and breaking of bones!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

pegasus1 wrote: »
    so it seems you condone the walking on roads/slipping and breaking of bones on pavements, that should be responsibly cleaned of snow by each property owner whose boundary is surrounded by any pavement

And what about the parts of the 'pavement' that are not outside people's property?

Poor argument is poor.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement