Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned from After Hours

Options
  • 29-11-2010 5:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭

Hi

I have been banned from After Hours because I referred to such esteemed virtued individuals such as General Sani Abacha *Murderer of Ken Saro-Wiwa and General Ibrahim Babangida, both former 'leaders' of Nigeria as "Jungle Monkeys". My description of these two leaders is regarded as racist. Unfortunately, ask any Nigerian about these two, and venal dictators is a more politically correct description.

Here is a link to the thread. I was banned by super-rush. I have asked for my ban to be reduced from 1 month to 3 days if possible.

Regards

dermo88

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/private.php?do=showpm&pmid=6875206

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

Hi dermo88.

The Mods of AH take a zero tolerance stance on AH in regards to racism, and for good reason. The phrase you used is highly derogatory and inflammatory and has no place on the forum. If you feel that this ban is "political correctness of the highest order" as you suggested on-thread then I strongly suggest you re-familiarise yourself with the AH Charter and boards.ie rules as this kind of language would not be treated anywhere on the site.

I support the month long ban and see no reason for it to be reduced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭dermo88

Thanks for your assistance in this matter. I will take this up with an Admin next. This is somewhat cumbersome, but if this is the method used to whack opinions into line, so be it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

I'll take a look at it and get back to you later today.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

OK...So I've reviewed the post in question as well as the thread.

To be honest, I can't see where you think you've been wronged.

You referred to three people using a racist slur. In your first post here, you've tried to defend it by suggesting that Nigerians (who - in your own words - you've "always actively disliked and distrusted") might say something similar.

Arguing that someone else might also use the same racist terminology for the same people doesn't make it any less unacceptable.

I amn't au fait with the standard banning practice in AH. Howver, post 22 from the same thread suggests that it would be normal to hand out either a two-week or month-long ban for racist commentary.

From that perspective, I don't see that the mods have acted in any way inappropriately.

They have an established policy, They followed it.

To boot, there evidence on the thread to suggest that your outburst wouldn't be acceptable...so even if you weren't familiar with the charter or forum, simply reading the thread you posted on should have given you ample warning.

If the mods of the forum feel I'm missing anything important, at this point I'd ask them to offer any additional detail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭dermo88

Ok, admin decision is final. Guess I just have to take it on the chin and learn a lesson.

• Advertisement
Advertisement