Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

spur, triple socket?

Options
  • 29-11-2010 5:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭

if i take a spur of a ring (2.5 mm^2 T&E, 32 A), can I use a triple socket that contains a 13 amp fuse?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

if you mean tee-ing off the 32amp ring with a piece of 2.5 into your triple socket

afaik the rules don't allow it now

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭GreySquirrel

There are two double sockets on opposte sides of the room. I want to put a socket on a third wall for computer and monitor. What would be a good way to do this?

if you want to utilise the ring circuit:

-you can extend the ring to the new sockets

-or fit a 13amp FCU on the branch

according to the new rules anyway

i have the yellow cover rules, waiting on the new ones. I have access to the floor boards while waiting for a new carpet so it would be easy to extend the ring.

I also have the option of running a new radial to the new sockets. I have a reel of 4mm^2 T&E so I could use a 32 Amp MCB.

Just have to work out the WAF for the final leg of the cable.

ya-the new rules have changed it

you can fit a 13amp spur beside the socket you want to branch off

or if you want to run a new radial you can rcbo it-can be better for computers

-prob overkill for a single pc though

• Advertisement

I'm near the Dundrum Town Centre. When they switched on a few years ago, they tripped everything in a few mile radius.

I have a lot of electronic stuff so i now have a few circuits with surge protectors on the fuse board. this room is upstairs so i'll have to check how my "electronic" circuits are set up. Lost a modem to lightning a few years ago. Flash, bang, thwack, in less than a second.

M cebee wrote: »
    ya-the new rules have changed it

you can fit a 13amp spur beside the socket you want to branch off

or if you want to run a new radial you can rcbo it-can be better for computers

-prob overkill for a single pc though

I might be puting a few servers in this room as well and an original IBM PC that I'm refurbishing.

the clean line+rcbo may be better then or a UPS
    don't forget your leakage current can accumulate with pc's -you'll be fine with 3-4

I'll probably go with a new radial when I have access to the floor boards in the other room on the shortest route.

in the meantime I'll extend the ring with one double socket.

If I want to tee off from this new socket, does it have to be a fused spur?

non fused spurs not allowed-that's basically it

• Advertisement

i thought i'd have an easy time extending the ring. the route i was hoping to use was following the joists. then i came to huge noggin(?) at right angles to the joists. not in the mood for drilling and lifting floorboards.

so i've run a new cable along the existing route and then on the surface to the new socket and back to complete the ring.

No objection from the wife to surface trunking. Must be the snow.

I'll probably use D-line or something like that. Hager have some nice stuff but don't know where to get it. Got links to the French site. It looks like all their wiring goes in ducting, but being French it is very chic.

And all their circuits are radials and all double pole MCBs and switches

OK, the extended ring is now in place with one new double socket.

Advertisement