Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New game shop on Grafton St.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 42 DavidCollins

I realise I'm bumping an old thread, but I went to check on 3D Games the other day an it appears that a photo gallery is in it's place instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

I realise I'm bumping an old thread, but I went to check on 3D Games the other day an it appears that a photo gallery is in it's place instead.

Yeah, they shut up shop a few months ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,063 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

penev10 wrote: »
    Yeah, they shut up shop a few months ago

How they even stayed in business as long as they did I'll never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 GT_Dublin

Their prices were crazy, didn't help having HMV right across the street and Game/Gamestop within a 5 minute walk.

The one good thing about them was all the older games but even they were overpriced.

I bought one or two games off them and there was plenty of games I would have bought, had the prices been a bit better. It's a pity as I'd love a decent retro shop in town, with good prices.

Is that Rage place still open?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭Sl!mCharles

Yeah Rage is still going strong!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,955 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

GT_Dublin wrote: »

The one good thing about them was all the older games but even they were overpriced.

Bizarrely, when they had a game that justified the inflated pricetag, they stuck it out for pennies. Best example being them having complete copies of Paper Mario for the Gamecube for 17e. That's the cheapest you'll ever see a PAL copy going for, save for a charity-shop based miracle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    Bizarrely, when they had a game that justified the inflated pricetag, they stuck it out for pennies. Best example being them having complete copies of Paper Mario for the Gamecube for 17e. That's the cheapest you'll ever see a PAL copy going for, save for a charity-shop based miracle.

Nah, every time Cex have a copy Paper mario 1000 year door they sell it for €20 and never any more. Thats where I got mine. Over priced if you ask me. Goes for min £40 on Amazon used too.

But yeah I agree, the rarer games they had, where always cheap as chips for some ODD ODD reason. I did like going in just to have a look, but guess thats all people really did.

Wonder what they did with all their PAL Gamcube/PS1/Xbox etc games, as they said that that shop on Grafton st was their first store in europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 978 ✭✭✭AceCard Jones

They've closed? Shame, I got my copy of Sonic Adventure 2 for the DreamCast in there. they were asking for €30 for it but I offered €20 and they agreed. Granted Rage has a way better selection at more competitive prices but this place had potential, at least when I went in they had some decent stuff anyway. Maybe they'll just relocate somewhere with better rates?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

Was in the shop once, wanted to buy a copy of Metal Gear Solid 3, waited for 10 minutes while he chatted to a mate on the phone about last nights games, asked could he do it cheaper than what he was looking for, wouldn't do it.

Ross_Mahon wrote: »
    Was in the shop once, wanted to buy a copy of Metal Gear Solid 3, waited for 10 minutes while he chatted to a mate on the phone about last nights games, asked could he do it cheaper than what he was looking for, wouldn't do it.

:eek: :rolleyes:

In fairness, thats the same in a lot of shops, re staff on phone ignoring customers and not doing anything to reduce the pirice, prob cause he was just staff and not a manager tbh. Had a deal on some GBA games from the Manager once, wasnt great, but still...

It is a pity its closed, Dublin needs more retro shops besides just RAGE(which is still great!).

Nice Art Gallery now though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

It was in the wrong location to have a chance. They were never gonna compete against HMV across the street for current releases and rents are way too high on Grafton Street to support a niche retailer like a retro games store. Maybe on Wicklow street or Williams Street would've been a better location. Pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

Weres Rage?

sink wrote: »
    It was in the wrong location to have a chance. They were never gonna compete against HMV across the street for current releases and rents are way too high on Grafton Street to support a niche retailer like a retro games store. Maybe on Wicklow street or Williams Street would've been a better location. Pity.

Complete no brainer though, Grafton st is NOT the place for retro anything, fancy new things yes, but never retro, its Grafton st, you'd think a big American company would have put some research into the area first before opening on the most expensive st in Ireland.

Streets you have said are all perfect, prob pricy too but not as high!

Ireland cant have nice things :D

Gandalph wrote: »
    Weres Rage?

Da RAGE is on 16B Fade Street, across from Hogans Bar.

Sorry to bump, but....

Looks like 3D Games is back open in Dublin, along the Quays, near the 'Italian Quarter'.

Went in cause I saw a sign saying, 'Games and DVD's, new and used' above the door, went in and thought this looks all very familiar, then it hit me, this is 3D Games that used to be on grafton st across for HMV!

I managed to pick up a new copy of Xenoblade (been looking for months) was €50, lady said they are having a sale so 10% off new games as they have just opened up (monday 11th Feb).

I know 3D games was bit of a rip off but god dammit its good to have another store back in town besides Gamestop and Smyths in the City Centre, hopfully they sort the prices out in the store soon, but I'm glad to have it back.

Its a bit all over the place at the moment, but they have tons of stock for PS3/360/OXbox/GC/Wii/PC/GB/GBA/PSP etc.

Oh and it seems to be run by different folk this time, not the staff that didnt really know what they were doing there.

Hope this lasts :-)

Anyone been in yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 42 DavidCollins

Thanks for the info readyletsgo, I'll be checking it out.
    All the best!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Hrm, intresting. Was nice to browse the stock in the old, even if it wasnt the greatest selection. And yeah the guys who worked there didnt seem to know a trot, was looking at the copy of FFVII they had displayed at the counter and the kid working there mentioned the manager had it there, he didnt know much about the game as it was before his time!

Where is the "Italian quarter" of the quays? South-side/north-side, east/west? May investigate next time Im up in the big smoke.

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    Hrm, intresting. Was nice to browse the stock in the old, even if it wasnt the greatest selection. And yeah the guys who worked there didnt seem to know a trot, was looking at the copy of FFVII they had displayed at the counter and the kid working there mentioned the manager had it there, he didnt know much about the game as it was before his time!

Where is the "Italian quarter" of the quays? South-side/north-side, east/west? May investigate next time Im up in the big smoke.

I'm no fan of the FF games at all, but I still know what they are about etc, he shouldn't have been working there(without the right information or advice). Time will tell how these new folk get on with the store this time round. I forgot to mention, they do have loads of controllers for N64 if anyone is looking for one.

Yeah the Italian Quarter is on Ormond Quay, Northside of the Liffey, so the new store is along the Quays there, keep your eyes peeled for the black games sign, you could miss it. I only noticed it when I was on the other side of the Liffey tbh.

Anyone drop in yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭steve_r

Very useful info readyletsgo, it's nice to have any kind of increased choice

• Registered Users Posts: 18,178 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Gonna give it a look this weekend, always a few classic gems in the back of my mind id love to own again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

That's pretty cool to hear. There's RAGE as well but thats all retro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Guys not sure if you know about this place but I pass it on my way to the bus at the weekend
    http://maps.google.ie/maps?saddr=Dublin,+Co.+Dublin&daddr=Talbot+Street&hl=en&ll=53.350788,-6.252575&spn=0.000741,0.002838&sll=53.350785,-6.252575&sspn=0.000748,0.002838&geocode=Fa0NLgMdqnmg_ykvrCfqgA5nSDGgcTGXqccACg%3BFTISLgMd35ag_w&mra=mift&mrsp=1&sz=19&t=m&z=19

It's a small place packed with junk but there's a large selection of Gamecube , Sega Saturn, xbox and PS2/1 games. There's a few old xbox 360 and ps3 games too in there. Check it out if you're passing. Most of them are in ok condition from what I saw.

Guys not sure if you know about this place but I pass it on my way to the bus at the weekend
    http://maps.google.ie/maps?saddr=Dublin,+Co.+Dublin&daddr=Talbot+Street&hl=en&ll=53.350788,-6.252575&spn=0.000741,0.002838&sll=53.350785,-6.252575&sspn=0.000748,0.002838&geocode=Fa0NLgMdqnmg_ykvrCfqgA5nSDGgcTGXqccACg%3BFTISLgMd35ag_w&mra=mift&mrsp=1&sz=19&t=m&z=19

It's a small place packed with junk but there's a large selection of Gamecube , Sega Saturn, xbox and PS2/1 games. There's a few old xbox 360 and ps3 games too in there. Check it out if you're passing. Most of them are in ok condition from what I saw.

I knew there was a game shop there :D I went into one time, when they had a sign saying games for sale here, then I forgot which shop it was and assumed it had closed. There's another shop a bit further down, that sells books and games as well.

cloud493 wrote: »
    That's pretty cool to hear. There's RAGE as well but thats all retro.

Ah, da RAGE is great for everything retro, love going in to have a look around, but I only ever pick up GC games in there as I dont have any of the older systems anymore sadly. Took up too much space (and time).

Are you talking about GameSexchange? :p
    I used to go in there a lot, but he charges a little too much for the state of most of the games, he sells a lot of college study books too.

No there's two on that street. The one at the end that sells college books, and another one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,955 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

No there's two on that street. The one at the end that sells college books, and another one.

Has it only just opened? GameExchange used to have a sister store up the street, but that's been gone for yonks.

It might be closed now, it was a while ago. It was in the back of a clothes shop, if I recall?

It might be closed now, it was a while ago. It was in the back of a clothes shop, if I recall?

I think you may be talking about the one on Talbot st, across from The Celt pub? Run by Indians, clothes shop now, used to have a huge window full of gamecubes xbox's and PS1/2's, was brilliant, opened for a month then closed for some reason which was a real shame.

Only other one on that street I know of is Gamexchange now. There was another store, YEARS ago on the same street but it closed down, was the brother of Gamesexchange the one who ran the one that closed down? Was never in it.

Unless you are talking about a new retro store that has opened and I havent seen it yet?

I think you may be talking about the one on Talbot st, across from The Celt pub? Run by Indians, clothes shop now, used to have a huge window full of gamecubes xbox's and PS1/2's, was brilliant, opened for a month then closed for some reason which was a real shame.

Only other one on that street I know of is Gamexchange now. There was another store, YEARS ago on the same street but it closed down, was the brother of Gamesexchange the one who ran the one that closed down? Was never in it.

Unless you are talking about a new retro store that has opened and I havent seen it yet?

No thats the one I think. Went in there once, never saw it again.

Yeah was such a pity it didnt last, big shop with loads of stock, that was prob the problem, too much stock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I know 3D games was bit of a rip off but god dammit its good to have another store back in town besides Gamestop and Smyths in the City Centre, hopfully they sort the prices out in the store soon, but I'm glad to have it back.

Was it a rip-off or was it just not able to sell games at a loss?

I don't think I ever bought anything in this place when they were on Grafton Street but at the moment any choice has to be a good thing for us in these post-GAME & HMV days.

Advertisement