Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New game shop on Grafton St.

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Beefy78 wrote: »
    Was it a rip-off or was it just not able to sell games at a loss?

I don't think I ever bought anything in this place when they were on Grafton Street but at the moment any choice has to be a good thing for us in these post-GAME & HMV days.

It was a mix of both really, seeing as HMV was right across the road from them. Say they had Halo3, they would be charging €40 second hand where as HMV would have charged €30 new. They just priced themselves out of the market at the time. Prob due to the price of rent on Grafton st, still baffles me why they opened their European flagship store on the the most expensive st in Europe.

Walked down Grafton st on monday just gone, the amount of stores that have closed down since Xmas :eek: even Korky's is closed!

Why do the Landlords who own the buildings there charge so much, surely they are lossing money hand over fist with shops closing down cause they cant meet the rent rates over the past couple of years. I rememeber hearing that even Brown Thomas cant meet the high rent on that building they are in over the past year.
    Sorry little off topic there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Are you talking about GameSexchange? :p
    I used to go in there a lot, but he charges a little too much for the state of most of the games, he sells a lot of college study books too.

Yup that's the place..If you do a street view on the Map link I sent you can see the shop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Why do the Landlords who own the buildings there charge so much, surely they are lossing money hand over fist with shops closing down cause they cant meet the rent rates over the past couple of years..

The big chain stores will pay the prices so they've no need to pander to smaller operators. One of the big Spanish clothing retailers will move into the next sizeable lot on Grafton St without blinking an eye.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Yeah Grafton Street is a one-off in Ireland in that certain stores will pay the price for the rent just for the location and perceived prestige. Wouldn't surprise me if the HMV there was one of the loss-making ones for that reason.

It must be crippling for smaller retailers though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

Why do the Landlords who own the buildings there charge so much, surely they are lossing money hand over fist with shops closing down cause they cant meet the rent rates over the past couple of years. I rememeber hearing that even Brown Thomas cant meet the high rent on that building they are in over the past year
    The landlords are making money precisely because they're driving enterprises out of business/sites through high rates. Long term vision is not exactly a known characteristic of rentiers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

No 3D games was very expensieve(is?) I seem to recall them selling final fantasy XII(PS2) for 40 euro odd.

Was in 3D Games last night, Half price sale on now. They are a little all over the place at the moment in there but they will get it together soon.

I got okami for the Wii for €10 new and Doshin the Giant for €7 lol

Brought my mate in with me and he got LoZ TW new for €20 and a few Wii accessories too. He's over the moon lol.

PS to a mod, any chance we could changet the title of the thread please?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭ussjtrunks

Do they have consoles in there like ps2 , dreamcast etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,955 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

ussjtrunks wrote: »

They do get them in, but I think I only saw one phat PS2 last week. They've had Dreamcast software and accessories in the past, but I don't recall a console popping up.

I think they had gameboy advances for sale at one point. So yeah, they'd sell consoles if they had them in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Managed to find this place today, seems to be similar stock to what was in the Grafton store. That copy of Xenoblade tempted me though...and I dont even own a Wii.

Saw some consoles in there, was a couple of slim PS2's, price was around €60 I think. Thye are in a glass display in the centre of the place, would have taken a picture had I thought of it to see what was on offer. Saw a PSPGo sitting mournfully in the case :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

ussjtrunks wrote: »

For that sort of stuff, I'd just go to the RAGE, if you don't want to shop on ebay or whatever. They have loads of console stock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

I noticed this place reopened month or two ago. I was in Dublin at a Mortal Kombat tournament, grabbing a coffee in town, and spotted it. Nice to see that it's back. They had some good PS2 titles in there that day that I'd been searching for. Only problem was that I'd already been to RAGE before I spotted it, so I had no cash left. With the two of them open now, it means that I'm going to miss my connection bus every time I'm going through Dublin from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭wampyrus77

3dgames has big selection of retro games (n64, gamecube, ps2, xbox, nds, wii, snes and many more) has relocated from grafton street to near liffey street just between millenium bridge and hapenny bridge at Ormond quay lower street

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

still a rip off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,341 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Do they sell any new games or is it just like CEX?

I can't even find it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,955 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Do they sell any new games or is it just like CEX?

Yup, they've new stock. Though there's reports of some of it having water-damage. I've not noticed it personally, but a few lads over in A&R forums have said they spotted some.
    cloud493 wrote: »
    I can't even find it.

North of the quays, between the Ha'penny and Millennium bridges.

I tried to go in there in the middle of the afternoon in the middle of the week and it was closed, with no notice as to why o.O

So I went to Cex instead :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,341 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Was in there yesterday, wasn't worth the effort and I'm sure it'll be gone in a few months. It's in a grimey old building, smelling of damp, has no new stock at all and the old stuff they do have is over priced even with their opening sale. Its more like the old Talbot Street shops than anything else.

• Advertisement

I can't be bothered trying to find it really. I seem to recall the grafton street shop wasn't that good either, the rage is more than sufficient.

its more expensive then cex

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

Ive been flogging alot of my old retro stuff to Rage on Fade St. They give good prices and seem like a decent lot. Got myself a new SNES video cable for a tenner too which was decent.

So if anyones looking to buy a copy of Resident Evil 2 for GC, an original FF8, Vagrant Story, or Eternal Darkness, move fast cause i just sold them all to Rage :D

They posted it on the facebook page :P
    I finally found 3D games. Pretty bad, even more expensive than rage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭nbar12

My mate worked here when they originally opened up on Grafton st. He said the owner hadn't a clue what she was doing. She didn't even know how to set up a games console for the customers to play with. My mate said she was offering €200+ for a gamecube with controllers and a game so I'm not one bit surprised they moved from Grafton st. and I won't be when they eventually close down probably later this year.

Ive been flogging alot of my old retro stuff to Rage on Fade St. They give good prices and seem like a decent lot. Got myself a new SNES video cable for a tenner too which was decent.

So if anyones looking to buy a copy of Resident Evil 2 for GC, an original FF8, Vagrant Story, or Eternal Darkness, move fast cause i just sold them all to Rage :D

going remake of Eternal Darkness in HD on the wii u next year

Someone on here said there was a new retro games shop opening in georges arcade this week, has this happened?

Also, does anyone else think 45 euro is too much for GBA SP in the rage? Particularly when the copy of pokemon firered they tried to flog me to go with it was fake.

Someone on here said there was a new retro games shop opening in georges arcade this week, has this happened?

Also, does anyone else think 45 euro is too much for GBA SP in the rage? Particularly when the copy of pokemon firered they tried to flog me to go with it was fake.

Didnt here about a new retro shop opening myself, must take a look this weekend to see.

Eh, yeah to me €45 is too much for an SP in RAGE, thats what I paid 2 years ago for the Limited Edition gold Zelda GBA SP in rage, scratched to bits by the way
    You can pick a standard SP up on amazon, adverts or ebay for €10 or €15 with charger.
    I have found that the market, online and B & M, is totally flooded with fake GB/C/A games as of late now.

RAGE does sometimes pee me off with there prices, I am fully aware they have overheads unlike online places but, for instance, I went in to price a GBA Micro a few weeks back, €65! I got it on amazon for €20 with charger in mint condition.

And to the person saying 3DGames on the Quays is rubbish, its competition for RAGE and Gamesexchange etc, they have great deals if you look and ASK for a discount, they will try do something for ya.

I was just a bit peeved since it was a pretty obvious fake :P and 55 euro for a boxed(genuine) copy was a bit too rich for my blood.

• Advertisement

yes since everything in the shop is second hand and all their GameCubes are €30 each there, it should be €30 or less, unless its gaming bundle instead being standard silver one, only non gaming bundle GBA SP was the silver one.

Advertisement