Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Top Gear US

• 29-11-2010 7:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭

Just watched the first two episodes of this, it's just like the UK version except 15 minutes shorter and full to the eyeballs of American blandness. The presenters could be doing any other job just as well they're your typical American presenter.

The stuff they'e doing in the show is pretty much bigger American versions of the things they did in the UK show. They do a wide range of cars though and don't just focus on American cars.

It's not terrible or anything just isn't as natural as the original.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 196 ✭✭joker@

ScumLord wrote: »
    J
    ..... pretty much bigger American versions of the things they did in the UK show. They do a wide range of cars though and don't just focus on American cars.

must be bigger its america ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,066 ✭✭✭BKtje

I must say I enjoyed the blind man drifting :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Yeah I don't not enjoy it, but I don't love it either. Typical us presenting style. The producer who's British, has sought advice from the uk on how to be "ruder", which will be tricky with the FCC and sponsors .

I'll keep watching for now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Its better than I was expecting but not a patch on the UK show. The guy with the beard was ok but the other two were woeful and the big star small car segment is pointless. I just don't see how the show can be honest in reviews of cars when then have the manufactures of those cars advertising during the ad breaks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Venom wrote: »
    Its better than I was expecting but not a patch on the UK show. The guy with the beard was ok but the other two were woeful and the big star small car segment is pointless. I just don't see how the show can be honest in reviews of cars when then have the manufactures of those cars advertising during the ad breaks.
    Ya, it's got more of a fifth gear feel to it. You know the reviews are slightly biased, when it comes to big expensive cars it really doesn't matter if you don't like them or not there's no point trying to sell to that tiny market, top gear UK know that and don't pander to the big guys.

I suppose top gear UK have the benefit of being "the" car show just getting your car on the show is good advertising, it doesn't matter if the review is good or bad. The other shows don't have that advantage over the sponsors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,009 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

studio segments very lack luster, strangly sub dued but i don't know those guys arn't as good presenters, nice cars though. the 3 bangers trip was funny though when yerman bent his coup de ville

3rd episode was an improvement on the last ones. I have my doubts that guy was actually driving the car though, you never see his face in the car when it's doing anything mental as far as I can rememeber

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭sandt

how are you guys watching this?

when i try to watch it on the history channel i just get that 'content is not available in your area' message.

sandt wrote: »
    how are you guys watching this?

when i try to watch it on the history channel i just get that 'content is not available in your area' message.

Voodoo magic.

Or just type online, watch and name of show into Google in a certain order and see what happens :)

3rd episode was an improvement on the last ones. I have my doubts that guy was actually driving the car though, you never see his face in the car when it's doing anything mental as far as I can rememeber

Its gotten a bit better but the banter between the hosts still sucks as does their ability to read from the auto-cue, car reviews still on the safe side and the other segments are just copies of what the real Top Gear guys have already done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,334 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Jesus that was bad.:eek: Maybe it appeals to the US audience, I dunno:confused:

its getting better, but looking at both sides of the argument:

1. they're redoing the british challenges.....boring

2. they're redoing the british challenges, but its nice to see the american take on it. the yanks have one advantage over the brits: their country, 50 states that they can mess about in.

i'm on the side of 2 at the moment.

It's a good top gear fix alright, not as good as the original but it's a car show that looks the part at least. The Americans are going bigger with their segments to make up for the lack of personality which is something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Bob Engineer

Just watched the first two episodes of this, it's just like the UK version except 15 minutes shorter and full to the eyeballs of American blandness. The presenters could be doing any other job just as well they're your typical American presenter.

The stuff they'e doing in the show is pretty much bigger American versions of the things they did in the UK show. They do a wide range of cars though and don't just focus on American cars.

i still can not watch this version.. where to download? anyone can help me to find the link for me to download??;)

i still can not watch this version.. where to download? anyone can help me to find the link for me to download??;)

It's against forum rules for us to tell you where to download it, if we did we'd get a torrent of abuse (ahem)

Last ep in the season was last night by the way...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭STIG83

Was in the States over Xmas and saw two episodes, seems to copy the challenges of the UK version.

Advertisement