Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

new 360 hard drive problem

• 29-11-2010 8:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

All help appreciated :(

Realised I needed to upgrade my 20gb hard drive.

Got an official 120gb hard drive and transfer cable off ebay. I unconnected my 20gb drive and connected the 120gb hard drive. To my surprise a problem and save games were still on there. So I went to settings and deleted everything.

But then, in a moment of retardedness, I thought it'd just be faster to reformat it using my laptop on front of me. Which I did.

I reconnected the 20gb drive and connected the 120gb hard drive using the transfer kit.

Now, an hour later I'm stuck.

The 120gb drive can no longer be used as the main drive (when connected to the top of the console it isn't detected). However, when I connect it via the USB cable it shows up as a 15.9GB standard USB drive (with an error saying 'your device is ready but it doesn't meet xbox 360 performance recommendations. You may experience significant performance problems playing games from the device or saving games and profile to it).

Have I permanently f*cked the new drive by formatting it using windows? :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

quad_red wrote: »
    All help appreciated :(

Realised I needed to upgrade my 20gb hard drive.

Got an official 120gb hard drive and transfer cable off ebay. I unconnected my 20gb drive and connected the 120gb hard drive. To my surprise a problem and save games were still on there. So I went to settings and deleted everything.

But then, in a moment of retardedness, I thought it'd just be faster to reformat it using my laptop on front of me. Which I did.

I reconnected the 20gb drive and connected the 120gb hard drive using the transfer kit.

Now, an hour later I'm stuck.

The 120gb drive can no longer be used as the main drive (when connected to the top of the console it isn't detected). However, when I connect it via the USB cable it shows up as a 15.9GB standard USB drive (with an error saying 'your device is ready but it doesn't meet xbox 360 performance recommendations. You may experience significant performance problems playing games from the device or saving games and profile to it).

Have I permanently f*cked the new drive by formatting it using windows? :(

you know that there is an option to format in Xbox dashboard?
    Did you try to connect the normal way and format it through system settings?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

docentore wrote: »
    you know that there is an option to format in Xbox dashboard?
    Did you try to connect the normal way and format it through system settings?

Was trying to be too smart by half.

I tried that - it's showing up as 16GB. I reformat it, the error messages about it not matching xbox performance recommendations come up and then it shows up as a 16gb drive (15.9).

Wtf? :(

What a complete spa I am :(

I assumed it would be a simple exercise. Looks like I've bricked the new hard drive. FFS.

I just assumed the 360 would format it as necessary. But no. MS DRM ****ing me in the ass.

er, knocked out video cable. never mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭bigbadcon

I recently got a hard drive second hard and was trying to delete everything off it.

When I connected the transfer cable it told me that my hard drive (60gb) was not set up for Xbox 360 storage and asked me "do you want to configure the drive for xbox 350 storage".

So I said "yes" and what it did was format my drive so that the xbox only saw it as a 16GB USB storage device.

To cut a long story short the option through the dashboard should have recognised that I was using an Xbox hard drive and not just any other connected hard disc and shouldn't have let me choose this option that bricked my hard drive.

I rang Xbox support and they posted a new one out to me. It must be quite common.

Id chance your arm if I was you...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 196 ✭✭joker@

20gb hdd -in system 13 gb -7gb for system etc.
    And every hdd will be cut by system files, larger every time when is bigger hdd.

Was trying to be too smart by half.

I tried that - it's showing up as 16GB. I reformat it, the error messages about it not matching xbox performance recommendations come up and then it shows up as a 16gb drive (15.9).

Wtf? :(
    I'm not trying to be smart, just to help you here

Ok but did you try to connect it at the top, not to the usb thingy?
    You can format any memory stick or hard drive to use as memory device thorugh usb port and the maximum is 16gb.

So instead of connecting to the transfer cable connect it to the top of the xbox and then format it

EDIT: If you want someone to give you a hand with this PM me and I can sort this out for you ;)

Your hard drive now is no longer a hard drive but a usb storage device according to your xbox. I tried everything to sort this and there is no way back from it.

All of those performance messages you got were exactly the same as what I got.

Xbox will replace it if you tell them you managed to wipe it using the transfer cable and the dashboard cause thats what happened to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭Gooch2k4

What a complete spa I am :(

I assumed it would be a simple exercise. Looks like I've bricked the new hard drive. FFS.

I just assumed the 360 would format it as necessary. But no. MS DRM ****ing me in the ass.
    No offence, but its kinda your own fault, give MS a ring and "omit" the part you screwed with the formatting, just say its not working, they might be able to sort you out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

bigbadcon wrote: »
    Your hard drive now is no longer a hard drive but a usb storage device according to your xbox. I tried everything to sort this and there is no way back from it.

Then you didn't really try everything :p

By formatting the drive in the laptop you have ruined the very nice partition structure that the xbox 360 expects. There are ways to restore it, but it involves Booting to DOS and using HDDHackr :)

• Advertisement

By formatting the drive in the laptop you have ruined the very nice partition structure that the xbox 360 expects. There are ways to restore it, but it involves Booting to DOS and using HDDHackr :)

Your right I did look into doing something similar with Xplorer360 i think it was called but I thought if i mess this up I cant send back a hard drive to Xbox that has been touched with any third party software cause they will tell you to get lost.

To the OP dont try this unless you know exactly what your doing....

or formatting this on jtagged xbox ;) no Xbox1 games then

Your right I did look into doing something similar with Xplorer360 i think it was called but I thought if i mess this up I cant send back a hard drive to Xbox that has been touched with any third party software cause they will tell you to get lost.

To the OP dont try this unless you know exactly what your doing....

HDDHackr > Xplorer360 which is a buggy as hell application.

Besides, the OP has already breached that condition you mentioned by formatting it with third-party software from Windows. They're going to have to lie to get it replaced by Microsoft so why not explore every avenue beforehand.

@docentore: Ohhhh yeeaaaaaah :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,206 ✭✭✭maximoose

TouchingVirus, dont suppose you have a good link for a tutorial on how to use HDDHackr?

Know someone who in the same position who is useless with computers and could do with it

maximoose wrote: »
    TouchingVirus, dont suppose you have a good link for a tutorial on how to use HDDHackr?

Know someone who in the same position who is useless with computers and could do with it

if the person is useless with computers no tutorial is going to help. HDDHackr is dangerous application if used by person who doesn't have clue about computers. One can wipe their OS hdd or even worse brick it.

Better to ask someone from your friends or even use someone from Modding Services sticky to do that for you for very small fee ;)

HDDHackr > Xplorer360 which is a buggy as hell application.

Besides, the OP has already breached that condition you mentioned by formatting it with third-party software from Windows. They're going to have to lie to get it replaced by Microsoft so why not explore every avenue beforehand.

@docentore: Ohhhh yeeaaaaaah :P
    Hes alot more likely to get it replaced if he sends it back as is

Gooch2k4 wrote: »

if the drive is genuine MS, not WD hacked with HDDHacker, then they won't replace it.
    Ebay is plenty of those

Just re-read the OPs post, apparently it's an official drive they have. This may or may not work, most ebay "official" drives are simply Western Digital Drives pre-hacked with HDDHackr. If the OPs drive is one of those they this will definitely work. If not and it's really an official MS hard drive it may not.

I do know HDDHackr only supports Western Digital drives for flashing firmware anyways, but creating partitions is a different thing altogether so maybe it'd work. It is not something a novice with computers should try, though it isn't something only a expert can do either. All information is here regarding HDDHackr.

If HDDHackr doesn't work you can use a hex editor to make the partitions the oldskool way :P
    Gooch2k4 wrote: »

It doesn't matter what they did, wrecked is wrecked. The OP did something they shouldn't have, that's the end of story as far as Microsoft is concerned.

Youd be surprised, trust me ;)

I would. I'd be very surprised if I called Microsoft with my ebay-purchased hard drive, told them I'd hooked it up to my PC and formatted the thing and they said "Send it over sure, we'll fix that right up", especially considering they told me to get stuffed when I did the same thing 3 years ago.

The OP has already broken the rule about using other software on the drive, exhaust all options before resorting to Microsoft and lying is a good option IMO

• Advertisement

I would. I'd be very surprised if I called Microsoft with my ebay-purchased hard drive, told them I'd hooked it up to my PC and formatted the thing and they said "Send it over sure, we'll fix that right up", especially considering they told me to get stuffed when I did the same thing 3 years ago.

The OP has already broken the rule about using other software on the drive, exhaust all options before resorting to Microsoft and lying is a good option IMO

Yeah you could be right here. They'll probably considering hooking it up to your laptop to format it a breach of contract if you tell them.

Id send it in and chance your arm.

Is there any way you can get banned for using a hard drive that has been modded/ formatted with third party tools?

I mean is there any way of them detecting it just by you being on xbox live?

Yeah you could be right here. They'll probably considering hooking it up to your laptop to format it a breach of contract if you tell them.

Is there any way you can get banned for using a hard drive that has been modded/ formatted with third party tools?

Possibly yes, like the worst that will happen is they send the not working HD back, if they chance their arm

Oh me too, but there are things you can try to avoid going down that route altogether which is what I'm suggesting. It's better than waiting 2 weeks for a return, and even better than waiting 2 weeks for your request to be refused and your old drive returned to you leaving you in the same position :p

Nah, it isn't like modding DVD drives. You're flashing the WD drive to act, behave and identify just like a Fujitsu drive, not to circumvent anti-piracy protection or add new features. All Microsoft care about is that your hard drive identifies itself properly (which it does) and then they care about what you've done to the files on the actual drive (as in have you modded them). If you don't mod the files on your hard drive, you're safe for Live! I've used two modded drives for years no, no hassle at all with Live :)

Thanks for the input guys.

As indicated, this is a genuine MS hard drive (still got seals on etc.).

I just don't have the patience (and, obviously, intelligence) to sort this out now so I'm just gonna sell it on adverts.

I just don't have the patience (and, obviously, intelligence) to sort this out now so I'm just gonna sell it on adverts.

The seals aren't an indicator of an official drive. My 500GB drive has a seal, I can take it off with a hairdryer and find a nice Western Digital Scorpio inside :D

Buy a preowned one in Game to keep you going and send the old one into Xbox and chances are they'll send you a new one ( they did for me) .

Then when you get the new one sell that on adverts as it will be 100% working.

Simples :D

Advertisement