Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Organic food

Options
  • 29-11-2010 8:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

Hi all:)

I'm doing some research in college on organic food. I'm supossed to do some kind of online survey on this topic.

I'd be thankful if you could write some of your opinions about this, like are you consumer of organic food, do you think that it is more healthier than regular food in shops, would you pay more if you knew it is better for you etc.

Thank you.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Ohh this should be good.
    • The taste of certain organic fruit lines like lemons can be more intense and thats about it. Grading standards of organic produce is more loose Nutritional content can be lower. The placebo effect. How are you going to support your health claims?

Food Standards Agency UK, 2010,
      Is organic food and milk more nutritious?
      Consumers may choose to buy organic fruit, vegetables and meat because they believe them to be more nutritious than other food. However, the balance of current scientific evidence does not support this view.

Nutrient levels in food vary depending on many different factors. These include freshness, storage conditions, crop variety, soil conditions, weather conditions and how animals are fed. All crops and animals therefore vary in nutrient level to some extent. The available evidence shows that the nutrient levels and the degree of variation are similar in food produced by both organic and conventional agriculture. All processed food, including organic, has a nutrient content that is dependent on the nutrient content of ingoing ingredients, recipe and cooking methods. The impact of processing on nutrient levels will be the same for products made from organically and conventionally produced ingredients
    • Limited demographic of shopper that can afford to buy many items, just stand in a supermarket and observe the limited range of organic lines available and notice that not one customer buys an entire organic shop. We all aspire to, but we buy typically 3-4 items to make ourselves feel good but the cost is too restrictive to buy more.
    • Limited amount of Irish organic products available. Basically we don't have the climate to grow a range of organic lines here so we rely on imports which kind of defeats the purpose of shopping green.

I do buy the odd organic line like Glenisk but thats because I like the taste of their products.

Advertisement