Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting On Your Own In Dublin - Manageable?

Options
  • 29-11-2010 8:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭

just wondering what other people's experiences are - i know it's all relative & depends on income. i earn average bucks but like everyone else i will also have to make do with less through higher taxes for the foreseeable future.

had a look at a 2 bed apt today, 1 beds are just overpriced completely, it was on for 850pm. adding in bills, tv & broadband (50pm) , gas (60?), electricity (60?), & one offs like tv licence etc it all begins to add up. ideally i'd prefer a place to myself but it's pricey.

anybody out there to offer experiences? thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Elle Collins

You'd be better off renting a studio apartment if you're going to live alone and need it to be as financially managable as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭xoxyx

Seriously, I would reconsider the one bed apartments. You could pick up a large enough one for around the €750 mark and that €100 is going to make a difference! I rent on my own and I wouldn't go back to sharing for the world. Even with the best housemates, you don't get the freedom that you do on your own. It's your choice to want to play music at 4am on a Tuesday (within reason!) or to get some peace and quiet on a Saturday evening.

You can pay your tv license on a monthly basis (it's something like €14 I think). UPC does tv and broadband for around the €50 mark. I just have electricity, no gas, and it probably averages €120 bi-monthly. Add in a phone bill of maybe €50 per month and you're talking just over €920 per month for all your homely goodness. Totally manageable IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

you could get a large flat in a house cheaper,ie share a bathroom ,look on daft.ie ,myhome.ie , theres even basement,or ground level, flats for rent with their own front door.Your paying a premium for renting an apartment.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The thing about living on your own is that there is no need to compromise on where anything is. Want to squeeze your computer desk into that corner in the bedroom? No problem. Want to have your electric guitar & amp beside the couch in the sitting room? No problem.

When you share, each person needs their own "personal space", which effectively doubles the amount of rooms you require. Or at the very least requires enormous bedrooms to fit stereos, PCs & TVs. Two standard bedrooms + a sitting room cum kitchen is not sufficient for two people, but one bedroom and the same is plenty of space for someone renting on their own.

Yes, one beds can be pricey when you add up the bills and the like, but it's a premium which comes with a big list of pros.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭lainey316

Have been renting a flat alone for years now - btw, there's no shared bathroom, don't even think that is legal now. Easiest way to think of it is that a flat is a self-contained unit in a converted house, an apartment is purpose built.

Pay €165 per week plus about €50 a month on ESB average across the year (millions now because there's no double glazing and I'm a cold person with heating on, not so much in summer). €30 for broadband. That's it - I don't have a TV, or a landline. oh, €80 per year for bins which I'm not that happy about. Laundry room is shared and is on a meter.

Ok, it's not too big, about 32sq m, and there are noise transfer issues from other flats but not significantly worse than in apartments I've lived in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Shared for years and will never go back, love my own space

Had a studio for years, an absolutely tiny one but it was modern and clean.
    And then in 2008 when rents were collaspsing my landlord put up the rent, see ya!

For an extra €150 a month it was possible to get a two bed. One beds and two beds were much the same price.

At least three times more room, well worth the extra.
    And could quit my gym which was €70 a month and put a set of weights in the second bedroom

Look everywhere OP and at all different price ranges.

Advertisement