Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Current Severe Weather

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭afterhours

I work tonight and I take the 101 bus to swords from balbriggan.
    I work at 6 until 10 pm.. does anyone know if we're expected to get dumped on tonight?? I don't know where to look for accurate weather forecasts here...

I dont want to be stranded in swords.. I wanna be cozy in bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Peckham

The word on the Weather forum here (where the predictions have been better than Met Eireann) is that the wind could shift direction later today, which will take North Dublin out of the shadow of the Isle of Man and possibly dump some proper snow on us.

Of course, weather isn't 100% predictable, so that could all change.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

There was a relatively small amount of traffic on my inward commute this morning (a lt less than normal for the time of day) - a lot of the roads had a covering of snow, bu it was not as icy as I had feared.

I'm currently sat in my offfice overlooking the N32. We keep getting flurries, it settles on the road then the snow stops and the traffic clears the road again.

The traffic is flowing remakably smoothly (I was in town earlier, and the M1 to the tunnel was clear - it did not look as if anything was backing up northwards either). I think the amount of traffic around is significantly less than normal, and most drivers seem to be driving very sensibly

I guess the real test will be when everyone starts heading home, although I'm anticipating a very long "rush-hour", with a lot of people trying to get off early. Hopefully this will help minimise issues, but with another night of very low temperatures forecast I suspect tomorrow may end up a bit like today

I'll be picking up some bags of sand on the way home to put some weight in the boot and give me a bit more traction ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

First of all do not try and use Courtlough to get to Balrothery. Courtlough is one of the worst roads in any kinda frosty/snowy weather. If you do get to the top you still have a treachourous drive down to Balrothery. Trust me this is rom hard won experience.
    If you do need to get home or from Balrothery the main (N1) seems fine. However once in Balrothery and if you need to get up the hill to Rosepark/Balruddery estate my advice judging from what I saw this morn is park the car in the Inn.
    Coming down from Rosepark/Balruddery are DO NOT go down by the car park but around the front of the Bar to Dave's gala-Roundabout.That nasty bend at the bottom of the car park has claimed at least 1 car this morn.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Just heard on the radio that the coast road from Sutton to Killbarrack (sp?) is treacherous with vans and buses sliding along it, so avoid it if you can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Light snow is swords at the moment.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

For anyone who might be heading to JC's, the car park driving areas are fine, but the car park slots themselves are very slushy and icy, nearly fell on my butt after getting out of the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

Dublin Airport is closed until 19.00. Some flights are being redirected to Shannon. I can't emphasise enough how dangerous the ice on the roads is. If you are travelling by car it's a good idea to have an emergency kit with you to include mobile phone credit, blanket, high energy snacks and drinks. If nothing else you may be able to help a traveller in need.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Just in from a trip to Feltrim, The feltrim road is very bad, swords by pass is clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,517 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

If anyone sees buses traveling around swords or is on a bus to swords it would be helpful to let people know when they are running

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

Apparently there's an accident on the dartline northbound (not sure where) & they're waiting on an ambulance so all darts are delayed even more

• Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

Dear god, I must be in a different universe!!

KNEE DEEP nearly around the house - roads haven't been gritted AT ALL around here and little traffic so on some roads not even a track to follow!

Left for work this morning at 6.30 to arrive for 9 but got the text then to say school was closed, happy days! Got stuck twice yesterday on a deserted road (nearly started crying too!), 3 cars passed and didn't even look!! But then a nice fella gave me a push and off I went again...

Garristown yesterday morning, could barely make it up the "hill" in the village, had to slide down 3 times and try again! And then slippedy slippedy onto the N2, some deep ditches to the side, so stressfull! Had to pull over at some point just to calm myself down and catch my breath :o

So today I had a snowday!! Huzzah! And most likely tomorrow too!

here's what I did :rolleyes:

The Adventures of Toto - the Keyboard Dinosaur

Toto doesn't like the snow much...
    150574_465093007820_597822820_6137035_2728173_n.jpg

Because SOMEBODY thought I'd be great craic making Xmas cards in the snow and put Toto in the snow to model...
    162899_465094257820_597822820_6137045_7328127_n.jpg

And it was so hard to walk in this sort of weather, but Toto tried his best anyway!

162835_465100927820_597822820_6137102_1121995_n.jpg

But, despite the cold, he did manage a big smile!

149027_465090247820_597822820_6137011_2540087_n.jpg

Passed both a 33 and a 41 in service heading into the city from Swords in Swords itself about 10 minutes ago.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Latest Fingal CC update
    Wednesday 01st December - The weather forecast into tonight predicts heavy snowfall, and our salting/gritting operations will give priority to national primary routes and major bus routes. We will endeavour to treat roads on our Salting Routes as soon as possible.

WATER SERVICES
    Water Services crews are on standby to deal with any problems caused by bursts/leaks in the water network. Any updates will be posted on our Water Emergency Page.
    WASTE COLLECTION

Our Waste Collection crews will endeavour to collect refuse as normal. In the event that we are unable to do so due to the weather conditions, we will return as soon as possible.
    • Wednesday 01st December: Our Waste Collection trucks are unable to access routes at The Grove, Robswall, Seapark and Biscayne in Malahide and Holywell in Swords today due to weather conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

I'm sure most of you are aware by now but just to confirm: Dublin Bus services ceased at 20.00 and Bus Eireann services to NCD are also not running.

You should check with them in the am before you travel. Unfortunately neither websites were able to deal with the traffic today so if anyone gets info early tomorrow can they please replay here. Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

Regarding water shortages or burst mains, it's always handy in severe temperatures to half fill the bath. At least you can flush the jaxx with it, if the water goes off.

Just half fill a bucket or basin from the bath and dump it into the bowl after your movement!

Any unused water should be recycled where possible, by watering plants or bathing in, if ye don't mind cold water.

Do not attempt to pour any unused water back up the tap, that would just be silly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Regarding water shortages or burst mains, it's always handy in severe temperatures to half fill the bath. At least you can flush the jaxx with it, if the water goes off.

Just half fill a bucket or basin from the bath and dump it into the bowl after your movement!

Any unused water should be recycled where possible, by watering plants or bathing in, if ye don't mind cold water.

Do not attempt to pour any unused water back up the tap, that would just be silly!

Screwed!! Don't have a bath, just have to use the snowdrift outside my door

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

Indeed! Melted snow would be a very good alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I had an interesting journey from Stamullen back to Rush tonight in my rear wheel drive. Stamullen is like a different country with no sign of gritting. Very bad at the bridge over the M1 near Gormanston College.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 undermeoxter

Rather than advising people to stock-pile water (which, in turn, caused a drought in the "Big Freeze" at the beginning of the year) a friend of mine from Denmark has some tricks for coping with bad weather at her website: http://yarnclasses.com/?p=2766
    including:
    "If you have no running water due to frozen pipes, go out into the snow and find the fattest layer of snow and scoop some into a pot. Go in and heat it and you will have enough water for a ‘cuppa’ at least."

• Advertisement

I had an interesting journey from Stamullen back to Rush tonight in my rear wheel drive. Stamullen is like a different country with no sign of gritting. Very bad at the bridge over the M1 near Gormanston College.

Meath CC ?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Corsendonk wrote: »
    Meath CC ?
    Yup.

The R132 was fine south of the Delvin river. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Hauk

I love the snow.

Just to add a little perspective about our current cold spell, an article from the BBC World plus a short video on one of the coldest populated areas in the world, Siberia were the temp can reach as low as -60oC and were the banks will give you a mortgage for a fur coat!:eek: Tips on how people keep warm there.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-11875131

• Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

Hauk wrote: »
    I love the snow.

:D

Yeah well, me too, like when I go skiing in the Alps or don't have to leave my house - t is very pwetty but not good for my nerves when driving!

And Ireland is horribly prepared for wintery conditions!

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Hauk

sNarah wrote: »
    :D

Yeah well, me too, like when I go skiing in the Alps or don't have to leave my house - t is very pwetty but not good for my nerves when driving!

And Ireland is horribly prepared for wintery conditions!

Ah yeah. Those Canadian cities don't shut down or cause chaos when there is a bit of snow, so neither should we.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Anyone going up the n32 in the morning, it's the worst it's been all week. Block of ice from the m1 to baldoyle industrial estate. M50 is very patchy, so watch out.

Drove in this morning without problems, but there was very little traffic on the roads (I saw less than 10 vehicles, including a bus, coming in the opposite direction between Skerries and Blakes Cross, between 6.45 and 7)

Skerries was a bit of a white-out, after the snow had all but disappeared by yesterday evening. The roads had a complete covering of snow. It was slightly better between Blakes Cross and the M1, and the Swords bypass was almost clear. Malahide Road was clear in places, then snow-covered at Clare Hall. Likewise the N32 is currently snow-covered, but traffic is moving along steadily

The test will come over the next hour or so, as there are bound to be some problems given the amount of snow lying around, with ice underneath it

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Sparkles78

More snow fell overnight in Balbriggan and its snowing lightly every now and again. very windy too so wrap up warm if you have to venture outside:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

Anyone know where to get coal/logs/turf in Balbriggan? I have about 2 days worth left. I did see a guy on the side of the road near Balrothery at the weekend selling them from a van but haven't seen anywhere else

Advertisement