Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Current Severe Weather

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

EF wrote: »
    Anyone know where to get coal/logs/turf in Balbriggan? I have about 2 days worth left. I did see a guy on the side of the road near Balrothery at the weekend selling them from a van but haven't seen anywhere else
    Check out this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

Beasty wrote: »
    Check out this thread

Thanks, didnt see that!

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Spidermany

I have to travel from Rush to Tallaght for a 9.00 o'clock meeting in the morning. Anyone else making that type of journey that early in the mornings?

I'd love to know what the roads and traffic are like.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

Seen two 33 in skerries about 1 hour ago.one heading to Balbriggan , the other going back towards swords.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

cathy01 wrote: »
    Seen two 33 in skerries about 1 hour ago.one heading to Balbriggan , the other going back towards swords.
    33X was running fine this morning. Hopefully it'll be the same this evening. The volume of traffic in the city centre is virtually non-existent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Frank Spencer

Spidermany wrote: »
    I have to travel from Rush to Tallaght for a 9.00 o'clock meeting in the morning. Anyone else making that type of journey that early in the mornings?

I'd love to know what the roads and traffic are like.

Thanks.

I travel from Balbriggan to the exit just before Tallaght in the mornings. I leave at approx 7am and the latest I have reached my destination this week was 8.20am. So 1 hr 20mins at the worst. Don't know how better or worse it would be leaving later.

M1 is reasonable but the M50 (especially the fast lane) tends to be slushy. Some of the off-ramps cause difficulty also.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

M1 from Balbriggan now available on the Traffic Camera.

http://www.dublincity.ie/dublintraffic/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

The roads I felt were worse this morning especially from Cairn Hill to Curkeen that was abot 5am. Skerries seemed worse today than Mon or Tues. Paths were still quite lethal. Fingal seemed to have done a good job on the main Roads but a lot of the estates were like ice rinks.

Big frost forecast for tonight so take care tomorrow morning

• Registered Users Posts: 4,518 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Heard from a friend that is stuck on the 4th floor of the Pavillions shopping centre car park - hasnt moved in 45 minutes and no sign of any movement. Not sure exactly why but they are not letting any cars out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

Anybody know is the Swords Express running from town?

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Swords village is a nightmare, avoid if you can, the main road seems to be gritted from apache pizza to the castle, but the road the other way is lethal like glass and doesn't look too gritted.
    Don't even attempt the hills behind the Lord Mayor, there are cars abandoned there and don't try the any of the back roads in the village.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,518 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Heard from a friend that is stuck on the 4th floor of the Pavillions shopping centre car park - hasnt moved in 45 minutes and no sign of any movement. Not sure exactly why but they are not letting any cars out.
    An hour and a half now, and no movement out of the Pavillions. God knows how long the people will be stuck there!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Ginny wrote: »
    Swords village is a nightmare, avoid if you can, the main road seems to be gritted from apache pizza to the castle, but the road the other way is lethal like glass and doesn't look too gritted.
    Don't even attempt the hills behind the Lord Mayor, there are cars abandoned there and don't try the any of the back roads in the village.

Just come from Pavillions, all around Pavillions is chaos, and there is a layer of compacted snow/slush everywhere, including the main street now, and the estuary road. The N1 is pretty awful too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,517 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

PWEI wrote: »
    Anybody know is the Swords Express running from town?

There was a message posted on their website at 2:40 that their service was running but delayed, but heard nothing since.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

dsmythy wrote: »
    There was a message posted on their website at 2:40 that their service was running but delayed, but heard nothing since.

They're not taking calls either. I tried ringing them but when I selected the option to get through to the depot I was put back to the main menu.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

Wife just rang, she's stuck on dart between tara & connolly for 30 minutes. Absolutely jammed & no announcements

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭AnnaGram85

That's awful. Hopefully she'll get home okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Rushwan

I have to say, overall, fair play to Irish Rail, they are doing their best to get people to their destinations. Also to all the bus drivers who are driving in horrendous conditions- keep up the good work. I don't think they get enough praise at times like these!

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭afterhours

unlike the stupid buses... there's like a ton of weight in them cos their always packed and still they cancel.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Nodster

iMax - was on the same train, not much fun with the occasional elbow grinding your back, but just glad to get home. That was some snow back in the City :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

Just starting the day here. Roads are solid. Any slush/snow that was around has frozen hard. Roads are the most dangerous they have been so far I think. Bus eireann seems to be operating via the M1 only. Feltrim & Malahide are impassable.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭spoonface

afterhours wrote: »
    unlike the stupid buses... there's like a ton of weight in them cos their always packed and still they cancel.

Ah I think you're being a bit unfair, the drivers are doing their best but if a road is impassable because the cars ahead are all stuck, or the snow is 2 ft deep or if somewhere like Howth hill is like a sheet of glass then their hands are somewhat tied. There's only 5 routes cancelled in Dublin today with the rest restricted because of difficulty with particular roads, getting into estates etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

The stopping distance in icy conditions is 10 times that in normal conditions. Give or take a bus will have twice the stopping distance of a car. I'm useless at physics but 11.5 tons will also have a greater impact in the event of an accident.

I know that some schools had an issue at the start of the week with their school bus services being pulled when parents were able to get to the school in their cars, likewise commuter services. To pull a bus off/alter a route isn't one that is taken lightly by any operator.

The accident that happened yesterday on the Malahide Road was an excellent example of what can happen in icy weather conditions with a bus. We are very lucky there weren't any serious injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 undermeoxter

spoonface wrote: »
    Ah I think you're being a bit unfair, the drivers are doing their best but if a road is impassable because the cars ahead are all stuck, or the snow is 2 ft deep or if somewhere like Howth hill is like a sheet of glass then their hands are somewhat tied. There's only 5 routes cancelled in Dublin today with the rest restricted because of difficulty with particular roads, getting into estates etc.

They've posted their list of curtailments on http://www.dublinbus.ie/ (updated 6 mins ago)
    Very few, considering.

The additional problem with the buses is how top-heavy the double-deckers would be. I don't know if they have enough of those single-decker extended buses to cover the whole fleet, though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

The council is still coming around collecting bins anyway in fairness to them

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Greenstar has suspended services for the bins, they sent a text out this morning.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Ginny wrote: »
    Greenstar has suspended services for the bins, they sent a text out this morning.

Lying person on the greenstar phone told me they were all out on collections!!!

Another two weeks to wait so :(

Neighbour put out his green bin this morning, oh how we laughed... and guess what, he's the only one in the estate with an empty green bin now!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

EF wrote: »
    The council is still coming around collecting bins anyway in fairness to them

bugger

i didnt put mine out :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭dubmick

I put the green bin out yesterday, it still hasn't been picked up. The black and brown bins were picked up today.

On another note, I struggled to get up the hill in Balrothery at lunchtime.

Advertisement