Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Current Severe Weather

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

Need to get some groceries in, we're running low.

What are the Supermarkets like? Pavilions, JC's ?

Also from Rush to Lusk, to Swords, how is the conditions ?

Info welcome. Thanks !

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

eddiem74 wrote: »

Info welcome. Thanks !

Swords is ok today, the roads are better than yesterday and the traffic isn't too bad. JC's has been fine all week, the Pavillions was busy yesterday dunno about today

I take back what I said about the green bin, seems the bin lorry that went by was the black bins, the green one normally comes around 4pm, we'll see.

Anyone know if the little Balbriggan bus from train station to Dunnes and around the world is running? And on that note, is Hamlet Lane open again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

eddiem74 wrote: »

Info welcome. Thanks !

Have you investigated cannabalism? :D

Dunnes in Balbriggan yesterday were all out of milk save for Avanmore milk (go figure) and very few newspapers in too.

Just called Bracken Cabs, they may be able to get up as far as Dunnes in Balbriggan tonight (they're more or less refusing to come to my estate but I can walk from Dunnes) so a word of warning to anyone heading out tonight, make sure you can get home!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

The Balbriggan local bus service has been cancelled for the last 3 days or so with no sign of it recommencing either.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Corsendonk wrote: »
    Have you investigated cannabalism? :D
    Are you volunteering Corsendonk? It will save you the cost of a funeral in NCD;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

This morning I found the roads really bad. Left Rush at 4.50am and picked up 2 lads and headed for Balbriggan. Really thought we would not get there. Went through Loughshinny and was stunned when reaching Curkeen Hill to see a clear road. It was just amazing to see the change. No snow or Ice at all. Seems Skerrries just missed out but when we got to Fancourt it gradually got worse again but not as bad as Rush. Hear this evening quite a few Posties will have bruised backsides ouch!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Beasty wrote: »
    Are you volunteering Corsendonk? It will save you the cost of a funeral in NCD;)

Why have mutton when you can have lamb?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

Looks a lot better in Malahide today. It's thawing a good bit. Hopefully the worst of it is over now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

Just drove from Rush to Skerries and back, roads were fine with a bit of common sense.
    Minor roads still bad in Rush though.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

The additional problem with the buses is how top-heavy the double-deckers would be. I don't know if they have enough of those single-decker extended buses to cover the whole fleet, though
    A double decker is much more effective in slippery conditions as the weight is spread over 2 axles only and the heavy engine is near the rear driving wheels helping traction. Any top-heavy weight wouldn't really matter as speed in cornering would be dead slow in snow/ice.

On the other hand, an articulated bus is a challenge to drive in snow/ice as the weight is distributed over 3 axles and the driving wheels at the rear tend to push out the centre axle. I've driven them in snow and they are difficult to control. (PS - Dublin Bus are phasing out the 'bendies' - they've only got a few left).

(I was driving carefully along in my car on Thurday morning at around 6am between Rush and Skerries going carefully downhill at Piercetown when a northbound 33 overtook me!)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

Schoolbus has been stuck up our road for 4 days now.

155730_466531282820_597822820_6155997_7837550_n.jpg

At 1am yesterday morning (Friday), it was -7 degrees in Rush according to my car's thermometer. That's the lowest I've ever seen it in Rush (although it registered -8 degrees near Blakescross the previous Sunday morning).
    sNarah wrote:
    Schoolbus has been stuck up our road for 4 days now.
    Must make it awkward for anyone with a large vehicle to pass!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

The Rolestown road (as I call it, it's the Road from Swords to Ashbourne from the Glen Ellan junction on) is very slippy, we went to Kettles Hotel this evening and it was a fairly hairy experience, ok once you take it steady, but there is black ice on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,794 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Snow is cleared from the roads, but the Moyne Road/Balgriffin road is covered in Black ice patches..

Malahide road coming out of the Tesco Clare hall also has patches of Black ice along with the Darndale roundabout, so unless your an experienced drift car driver, probably best to take it extremely easy around there...

Stheno wrote: »
    The Rolestown road (as I call it, it's the Road from Swords to Ashbourne
    The R125 ;)

The R125 ;)

Thank you kind sir :)

The footpaths around Swords are lethal, I normally drive for work, but was bussing it today and slipped/fell four times walking about 300m for a bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

Gah! First couldn't get out the driveway, hero boyfriend pushed me out. Then got the little van stuck uphill in Garristown, just down from the graveyard. Skidded and waited around for 20 minutes with everyone giving me angry looks but nobody stopping to help... Boyfriend to the rescue again... Got van out, told me to follow in jeep... Haven't driven that thing much... Couldn't get jeep moving coz a "helpfull" farmer lad stuck it in 2WD instead of 4WD... They were trying to get a tractor out their yard and, off course, jeep was in front of their gate... Phone off course still in the wee van! Told him "wait, I'll be back" and started walking up hill, no sign of the BF and my wee van... kept walking and walking and walking and then himself came walking my way, looking angry wondering what the hell was I doing, but then he saw my crying face so couldn't really get mad :o Walked backed to jeep, drove to van, I drove jeep home and he followed in the wee van. So now I cried out all frustrations of a week struggling in this stupid snow, although my pride and sanity are still not restored :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Stheno wrote: »
    The footpaths around Swords are lethal, I normally drive for work, but was bussing it today and slipped/fell four times walking about 300m for a bus.

Yup, it's pretty bad alright. I've the wellies on me getting around the place. Still slippy in parts still with them on!

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Spidermany

Kids all fell on way to school this morning. Ended up walking on the road with about 20 other people. Luckily due to amount of traffic we were moving faster than the cars. Hope the rain keeps up, and we don't get another freeze!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

Hug to SNarah:)

If you turn left northbound at the estuary roundabout, immediately after you turn is a fairly bad patch of black ice, myself and the three drivers behind me half an hour ago had an unpleasant surprise :(

The rest of that road is slippy too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

I got this from Fingal Co. Council for anyone else whose recycling bin wasn't collected last week because of the bad road conditions..
    "Greyhound Recycling Ltd have not been able to dispatch crews to cover missed collections last week due to the adverse weather conditions. They will however accept additional waste presented in clear or see-through plastic bags on the next scheduled collection day. – a maximum of 2 bags applies per customer"

Ill have to load the boot myself and head to the recycling centre but at least they will take extra bags for anyone who can't

Roads and footpaths up around Dunnes in Balbriggan are lethal tonight, I walked (slid) about 200 yards hanging onto a wall, then ended up standing on a manhole cover crying cause I thought I was stuck there all night. Managed to get back up to my house, put some old socks on over my runners, worked like a charm! Handy hint from my dear old Da.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,517 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Footpaths are really bad on many estates tonight in Swords I'd say (certainly mine!). So be careful in the morning.

And to think they're forecasting more of the same weather for later next week, wonderful :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

dsmythy wrote: »
    Footpaths are really bad on many estates tonight in Swords I'd say (certainly mine!). So be careful in the morning.

And to think they're forecasting more of the same weather for later next week, wonderful :rolleyes:

NO!!Don't say that!

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭orionm_73

Does the "socks over the shoes" trick really work?

• Advertisement
Advertisement