Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

frozen pipe victim.. again

• 29-11-2010 8:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭

another year, same pipe.
    beginning to think its the builders fault as the house insulation is wrong Imo.

currently the hot and cold pipes to this tap touch the outer wall. if standing inside it goes follows.
    plaster wall
    insulation glued on. pipes half arsed lagged by builder and last year the plumber who "fixed" it.
    block wall.

now I'm vaguely educated on regulations but last I checked all Services are to be on the INSIDE of the cavity insulation?
    house is 4years old and built by a well known developer. I'm thinkin. of chasing them now.
    until then I've opened the tap so further frost hopefully won't burst and if it thaws out it May start working again.

the toilet also does not fill (presumably on same cold feed as tap)

anyone any further advise? I intended cutting the wall open and rectify it myself but I'm that Pis sed off I want justification for lazy shoddy workmanship.

I'm off to the pub so May not reply tonight.

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

If the toilet isn't filling then the tank in the attic is most likely empty, and so the rising main is frozen most likely. Have you checked to see if the cold tap in the bathroom is flowing too? If not, then it could be that the toilet is linked to the rising main, which I think it shouldn't be

It could also be that the mains is freezing before it gets to the house either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

Ok so in the last 24hours the hot and cold to this tap has froze 3 times. Cue me cutting open the wall to finally learn the full extent of insulation on the pipe or lack of.

the cold feed has a bit on it and it also feeds the toilet again not covered and touching the brick. there is some around the tap which is original.

I've decided to insulate the pipes myself and will remove the plasterboard insulation from where the pipes are to allow the house to heat the pipes. is that a bit of over kill? many people in similar houses suffering the same and had plumbers tell them how crap the plumbing is!

right now I can't get pics up but its literally plaster board insulation cavity pipe then external block. its only these two pipes that are suffering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Glynn1972 wrote: »
    You replied to a post more than a year old..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭derealbadger

bbam wrote: »
    You replied to a post more than a year old..

Ah thank god for that I was trying to work out where in Ireland you would have to be for your pipes to have froze this year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Sparkpea

glynn was banned and has had his posts removed from plumbing & heating forums

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

Sparkpea wrote: »
    glynn was banned and has had his posts removed from plumbing & heating forums

Lol was wondering why this had reappeared!

Advertisement